Author Topic: Next garage and shop WILL have radiant in-floor heat --  (Read 648 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Next garage and shop WILL have radiant in-floor heat --
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
My current garage gas a pretty good 240V electric heater that blows some incredible heat into the attached garage. It brought the temp up from 18ºF this morning to 55ºF within 30 minutes. Pretty good, but the hot air rises and the concrete floor is miserable. Fans can circulate the warm air, but the floor is still an ice cube that literally seeps right through your shoes and into your body. It's very uncomfortable.

I was doing an oil change and lying on a creeper and you could feel the cold just coming off that floor. No amount of warm air in the room would remedy that problem. The obvious solution is radiant floor heat. It's now on my "must have" list of items for the new shop when we move in the next two years.

Southern states don't have a long winter season and I can make due, but the cold is getting to me more each year. I can take the heat, but cold is very bad for my joints.
Radiant in-floor heat will be the best solution --

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
Re: Next garage and shop WILL have radiant in-floor heat --
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »
or a heated creeper. grinx 

I don't see how you guys up north get anything done in the winter. below 40 degrees and I hurt all over. If I put enough layers on to stay warm I cant hardly move. lets no mention what happens when I need to go pee.

I'm thinking Strik9 has the right idea.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »
Radiant in-floor heat will be the best solution --

Yes!
My best friend, a farmer in Wisconsin, had it installed in a new shop he built.  Not only is it efficient and comfortable it has the added advantage of allowing you to pull a car, truck, tractor in at the end of the day and have the snow melt and dry off for the next day's wrenching.
_Nick
vwradios.com

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
I did Sherman Williams 2 part floor paint with the required 2 coats and it did a surprisingly good job of insulating the floor.
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:51:32 AM »
In wiscoldsin I didn't fix my cars in the winter.  I bought three beaters in the fall and patched them up some.   If one went bad it was parked until the spring.    Always a spare battery by February and sometimes still 3 cars under power.   One winter only two of four.   And one only had one front wheel with brakes.  I never told anyone until late spring.   Lol!

Now even my wardrobe would leave me unprepared for any cold at all.

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:19:08 AM »
Sounds like the problem is not keeping the shop heated rather than the type of heat. If you let the slab get down to 18*F it's gonna take a while to warm back up even with radiant. Maybe try turning the heater on the night before planned work if you don't want to run heat all winter.

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »

I don't see how you guys up north get anything done in the winter. below 40 degrees and I hurt all over. If I put enough layers on to stay warm I cant hardly move. lets no mention what happens when I need to go pee.

As someone who grew up in Indiana then moved to Texas and then Louisiana and now in Ohio, let me fill you in.

Much like the humidity makes the heat much hotter when your 20 miles inland from the gulf it also makes it feel colder. I have felt colder standing on a barge on the Gulf Intercostal Waterway @20 degrees than I did Last week in Oh when it was -13 with a 10mph wind. I think your body adjust to the cold aswell just like the heat.

The only trouble in dressing in layers is the bathroom, dont go to work if you have a bought of the bubble guts.

My BIN works in a hanger with a heated floor, he says it is the greatest thing ever except for one thing. The floor is worm enough that it makes his feet sweat........ poor guy fishslap   
-Matt
"I believe that the best possible social program is a job." -Ronald Regan

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
or a heated creeper. grinx 

A heated creeper is an excellent idea!

Two layers are all you need if they are oversize Carhartt insulated bibs and pajama pants with a fly.  Think of them as extra long boxer shorts.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
Winter is my favorite season.  Born in Michigan, only lived there and Illinois.  I like cold weather and have everything I need for it.

Several years ago I decided my next shop would have both in floor heat, and at least a window AC for summer.  Might as well be comfortable.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 02:25:12 AM »
What state are you looking to retire in, Ray?
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

We'll see you on the road like we saw the Nightrider!

We remember the Nightrider! And we know who you are, Bronze!

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
What state are you looking to retire in, Ray?

Looking at NC or TN -- although southern VA is also a very beautiful area. We've looked in southern VA, but we also have a lot of friends in western NC Asheville area.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
TN is reducing their Income tax to zero over the next couple of years.  This may draw retirees from other states and raise TN real estate prices.  Now might be a good time to buy.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »