Author Topic: Needed Rodeo Upgrades --  (Read 185 times)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Needed Rodeo Upgrades --
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:24 PM »
I have a few days off and wanted to use the warm(er) weather to do some necessary maintenance on the old Rodeo. The first thing on the agenda was "new" bumper. The old one was totally rusted out and pieces were actually starting to fall off. To get it off, I had to use the old O/A set to blow off the rusted inner frame nuts. Yesterday I went to the local salvage yard and picked up good bumper (chrome no less) and between my old parts and new bumper I managed to kludge together a respectable replacement.

You can't find these things anymore -- junkyards are the only options these days.

To clean the small rust spots and oxidation off the chrome I used WD40 and crumpled up aluminum foil to rub down the bumper. This worked very well to make the bumper shine again. I followed up with some polishing compound and wax, and it looks presentable.

I had to adjust the right bumper bracket with a porta-power about 1/2" to get the alignment right, but after that it was a great fit.

Tomorrow it gets new front brakes and "surprise, surprise, surprise" -- the damn rebuilt Power Steering pump I installed over a month ago started to whine and make grinding noises. I absolutely HATE re-manufactured parts. Cheap re-manufactured parts are the bane of every mechanic. I'm glad I rebuilt the old unit myself and will install it over the weekend. On this pump Rock Auto gets a "F" for quality -- damn thing didn't even last 2 months.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:35:25 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
Re: Needed Rodeo Upgrades --
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »
Needs a 2 tone paint job is you ask me :POKIE:

Oh, I am really liking WD 40 for cleaning tools.  makes chrome shine then tends to go away with a quick wipe not leaving an oily residue
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
Tomorrow it gets new front brakes and "surprise, surprise, surprise" -- the damn rebuilt Power Steering pump I installed over a month ago started to whine and make grinding noises. I absolutely HATE re-manufactured parts. Cheap re-manufactured parts are the bane of every mechanic. I'm glad I rebuilt the old unit myself and will install it over the weekend. On this pump Rock Auto gets a "F" for quality -- damn thing didn't even last 2 months.
YES!
I remember replacing the alternator three times on my 1983 Datsun 280ZX with a "lifetime guarantee" rebuilt from AutoZone. The first one had a bad diode as indicated by a glowing fault lamp after installation and the second one had the pulley fail within a week.

Although some may be rebuilt at the same or similar facility I've found the OEM rebuilds of better quality.
_Nick
vwradios.com

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »

I'll paint it in April -- quick and dirty Earl Scheib $49.95

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:05:08 AM »

I'll paint it in April -- quick and dirty Earl Scheib $49.95

Thought the Rodeo frame was rusted to the pont it was headed for scrap? You manage to find a replacement frame?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 12:14:29 AM »
It’s scrap Matt - I was just havin’ some fun with Phil. I did look at the Rodeo at the salvage yard and its frame looked tight - but that would be a big job to swap a frame. I’d have to think real hard on that one - LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:20:54 AM »
It’s scrap Matt - I was just havin’ some fun with Phil. I did look at the Rodeo at the salvage yard and its frame looked tight - but that would be a big job to swap a frame. I’d have to think real hard on that one - LOL

It's certainly work but maybe not as bad as you think. Once the body is pulled everything is so much easier compared to doing it with the body on. Worth considering if you think the rest of the vehicle will last a few more years. You're balancing a couple weekends work vs. however long you'll have to work to buy a replacement ;)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »
YES!
I remember replacing the alternator three times on my 1983 Datsun 280ZX with a "lifetime guarantee" rebuilt from AutoZone. The first one had a bad diode as indicated by a glowing fault lamp after installation and the second one had the pulley fail within a week.

Although some may be rebuilt at the same or similar facility I've found the OEM rebuilds of better quality.

Yes Nick, it seems that cheap imported re-manufactured electrical parts are the worst. I've been caught in that trap before as well. I wasted a lot of time on multiple starters and alternators that either didn't work out of the box, or failed within a few weeks/months. Some years ago I replaced an AC compressor on my wife's 1996 Ford Contour twice with reman parts before switching to a used part from the salvage yard.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
So Ray, is the Rodeo your winter beater or your daily driver or just a spare vehicle.  I can't remember what you drive to work though I do remember you don't like to drive anything nice because of the parking
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
So Ray, is the Rodeo your winter beater or your daily driver or just a spare vehicle.  I can't remember what you drive to work though I do remember you don't like to drive anything nice because of the parking

The Rodeo is my commuter and winter driver Phil. It's a beater and that's how I like it because I park in a lot of small space lots in Arlington and DC for work. If you have a good clean  car you're automatically a target by certain people who can't stand to see anyone have a nice vehicle; not to mention the dings you get from other car doors. A crappy looking Rodeo doesn't draw any attention, and that suits me fine. I can't tell you how many of my colleagues have had their nice cars damaged and vandalized over the years in those same lots.

My regular transport around town is a 2003 Dakota SLT 4x4 --  that truck has the 3.9 V6 and is in perfect condition. Less than 10K miles on it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:14:27 PM by goodfellow »

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:31:35 PM »
Managed to do the brakes today -- but had a "Honey Do" list from Mrs. GF that needed to be completed.

This is why I like NAPA -- they cost a little more, but at least when you buy a set of pads they include the hardware. The cheapo discounters will just give you the pads.

Talk about rust!!! The calipers haven't been touched in five years when I last replaced rotors and pads.

The great thing is that calipers still floated as freely as the day they were last serviced. The pins were hit with some CRC brake grease and they stayed loose and lubed for five years. Great product that CRC brake lube.

The pads still had some meat on them, but I had the time and the tires needed rotating and balancing, so I just replaced the lot.

I cleaned the rust with a wire wheel and installation with new hardware -- the pads slipped in without a hitch. It'll be the last set of pads for this truck.

Tomorrow the PS pump will get replaced, and hopefully the beast will make it a few more months before the rust bug totally eats it up.

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
Managed to do the brakes today -- but had a "Honey Do" list from Mrs. GF that needed to be completed.

This is why I like NAPA -- they cost a little more, but at least when you buy a set of pads they include the hardware. The cheapo discounters will just give you the pads.

Agree, I've found that you generally get what you pay for with regards to brake pads.  The better ones will also include a packet of silicon grease for the slide pins which keeps them moving and does not deteriorate the rubber boots.
_Nick
vwradios.com

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »

It's certainly work but maybe not as bad as you think. Once the body is pulled everything is so much easier compared to doing it with the body on. Worth considering if you think the rest of the vehicle will last a few more years. You're balancing a couple weekends work vs. however long you'll have to work to buy a replacement ;)

You make a great point and I'll give it some thought, but I'd have to buy the the salvage yard Rodeo, tow it here and dissect it on my property and then move all the old pieces to the scrapper. I haven't calculated the costs, but I bet they're high. The salvage yard would charge a good price for the existing junker as well.  It's a 23 year old truck that has a lot of corrosion -- not just in the frame, but also some of the body panels are starting to bubble.

I'll give it some thought over the next few months.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »

Tags: