Author Topic: eye incident  (Read 1901 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
eye incident
« on: September 12, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »
late thursday afternoon i was out working in the yard. i got something in my eye but did not know what. it only hurt a little bit and i tried to get it out with no luck. i had a couple things i "had" to get done  so kept at it. by the time i got done i was quite uncomfortable. i went to the house and tried to rinse it out. from there i hit the shower for more water, still no relief. i hit the couch moaning and groaning with a rag, an icepack and and eye drops. still no luck. at 6 pm my wife called the optometrist and he agreed to stay late until we got there. she said we will be there in 15 minutes and ordered me from the couch.

after eye dye, "happy eye juice" and some careful manipulation he flipped something out of my upper eye lid but not before severely scratching my cornea.  whatever it was was small and hit the floor as we couldn't find it after removing it. i have never experienced anything like that before and don't want to again. the pain was excrutiating. all i can say is don't mess around with your eyes. i am much better day and have some prescription eye drops for pain. there is no permanent damage and even with all of the squinting and watering my vision is still quite good. good enough that i have never worn glasses even though i notice my vision is not as good as it once was.

anyway for what it is worth, careful with your eyes.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
Re: eye incident
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
Sh!+ in your eye is not fun what so ever.  Glad your were able to get it out and no permanent damage was done.
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »
Any metal shavings around you? Do any drilling?
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »
Just be glad they didn't have to grind it out. I got some metal in my eye once and by the time I got around to the ER it had started rusting. "Hold real still while I grind the rust off" :-\ Safety glasses are now part of my usual shop attire.

Glad things worked out OK for you
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 03:05:54 PM »
With any form of foreign objects in the  eye don't screw around go get it removed by a doc. It's too easy to permanently mess up your vision other wise.

I've seen bad results from delaying too many times.
Tool do job = Good tool
When the media is owned by those who believe they have the right to choose leaders, and also believe that only the rich have the right to make decisions, the media ceases to be an objective reporting tool, and becomes an instrument of criminal conspiracy.
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux

Online Andrewhr

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
didn't you get a snow blower in the eye a couple of years ago?
i'm as confused as a baby in a titty bar

Offline bonneyman

• Knows what a screwdriver is
  • A workman is worthy of his wages
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
Eye incidents as you call them are top priority serious. Don't mess around with those!

My dad relayed a story to me once of a guy who got a metal chip in his eye. Went to the eye doctor, who immediately called a special lab and took the guy right over. Sat him down in front of a strong magnet, secured his head, and then while holding the eyelid open used the magnetism to pluck the steel fragment out.  :eek:
Said later it was too dangerous and deep to try removing it with tools - could have possibly pushed it in to the point where permanent damage was done. Magnetic filed pulled it straight out!

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 01:50:37 AM »
When I was younger and worked in my fathers welding shop, I got some metal in my eye and my dad plucked a hair off my head and had me lie down.
He held my eye open and laid the hair across my eyeball and told me to close my eye. He then pulled down on the hair and it caught the little piece of metal and pulled it out.
I've heard that some guys welding pipline still use that trick.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline BoredMechanic

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »
I had a 1/4" grinding wheel explode when i was younger and they had to drill it out of my eye. Not fun.

Offline FuzzFace2

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:12 PM »
I can tell you the eyes are not something to take lightly. My dad was blind in 1 eye from birth and when he got stuff in his good eye he was totally blind till it healed.

Me I was jumped years ago and my glasses frame broke and cut 1 of my eyes. ER said it was 50/50 on losing the eye. I was lucky and it healed but not after the scabbed peeled off about 3 months in to the healing. Yes it hurt both times!

Also for the last year and for the rest of my life if I want to keep the eye, I need an injection with a needle in my eye. My eye fills up with fluid and if left in there the eye ruptures taking out the nerves for sight at the back of the eye. When this happens the nerves are killed and don’t come back – read go blind in that eye.
When this was first found last year I was going every 4 weeks for the needle, made it to every 6 weeks and I am now back to every 4 weeks. They are looking into new medicine to see if I can get back to 6 weeks or more as every 4 week is a pain in the eye ;) Thing is the insurance is giving me a hard time for this new needle and at $2000 a shot I cannot swing it out of pocket.

What makes this even worst to keep my CDL (truck license) and because of the killed nerves I have already I need a vision waiver to keep it. The state I moved to does not take waivers from other states so I found out 4 months after getting a truck driving job so I have no CDL till I get this states waiver. Just hope I still have a job after I get this waiver.

So if you get ANYTHING in your eye get it looked at right away.
Dave ----
Jack (not my real name) of all trades, Master of none!
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/70-Javelin-Mark-Donohue

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
Holy crap Dave. That's terrible. Sorry to hear about it.
Like they say, you only get two eyes. Take care of them.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline FuzzFace2

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »
The only pleasure I get out of this if you can call it that is the look on peoples face when you tell them I get a needle in my eye panicx every few weeks.

I knew it was not too good when my eye Dr. came back into the room 5 min. later with 3 names of other Dr.s that could help me and said "call each one and go to the one that can take you tomorrow!" When I asked about putting it off till the day after she said NO TOMORROW!

The big blow to me was getting the first needle and saying "ok I am good right?" and being told "yes as long as you keep getting the needles for the rest of your life!".
Oh well life goes on
Dave ----
Jack (not my real name) of all trades, Master of none!
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/70-Javelin-Mark-Donohue

Offline HLC

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »
Get a Bionic. Wear it religiously.

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »
sorry for your bad luck ff2. the eye is a very fragile part of the body we take for granted.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline PeterMoums

eye incident
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »
The latest eyesight requirements expect you to read line 7 on a Snellen chart, thats 6/7.5, with your best eye, and top line, thats 6/60 with the worst eye, with glasses if required.
The doctor or optician has to test your vision without glasses as well, but the result is not important.

The Garage Gazette

eye incident
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »

Tags: eye incident