Author Topic: Shop is closer to complete  (Read 630 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Shop is closer to complete
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:12:04 AM »
Picked up a few more tools, the woodshop is basically approaching completion for the amount ability that I have.

not pictured, Evolution Rage3 compound sliding miter saw in 10".

Bosch Router, 1617 EVS with extra tools.

Delta TP305 surface planer.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw, with extra goodies like a molding head and a dado head.

Not entirely sure what the extra clamp things are for, the seller of the RAS included them.

Offline tool hunter

Re: Shop is closer to complete
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
Hold downs for holding your material tight to the bed and or the fence.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »
Great buy on the radial arm saw. They are not that popular anymore (probably due to the popularity of compound miter saws), but over the last few months I have seem many of them for sale on CL in the DC area. Prices are high though --

BTW -- thanks for pointing out the hold-down clamps guys. I always wondered what those things were for. I've seen many of them at yard sales and such, but never understood the purpose.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
I was admittedly on the fence about the RAS, in part because so many functions are capable of being done on the sliding compound miter, the table, etc.  Ended up getting it partially because of price and partially because with the way the arbors are designed I could possibly make something of a ghetto-lathe using the 1/2-20 threads, and can also horizontal-drill with accuracy using that same arbor. 

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »
Other than the fact that I dislike woodworking (mostly because I'm not good at it) I wish I was into it. Craigslist and kijiji here is full of band saws, table saw, miter saws, radial arm saws, routers...etc..etc..etc... For dirt cheap.
If I had a separate wood shop I would do more wood work but I dislike doing carpentry in the garage due to the saw dust and the fact that I do a fair amount of welding in there. Wood work and metal work don't work well in the same shop.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »
Other than the fact that I dislike woodworking (mostly because I'm not good at it) I wish I was into it. Craigslist and kijiji here is full of band saws, table saw, miter saws, radial arm saws, routers...etc..etc..etc... For dirt cheap.
If I had a separate wood shop I would do more wood work but I dislike doing carpentry in the garage due to the saw dust and the fact that I do a fair amount of welding in there. Wood work and metal work don't work well in the same shop.

Definitely with you on all points Bruce -- especially the welding part. Woodworking and welding in the same space is a major "no no!!"

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
I do a bit of wood work keeping up with our rentals. I try and do all the dirty work under the carport. same with welding, it goes outside if possible. I've got a RAS that's on my short list to run on CL. its just too cumbersome to roll outside when needed, and because its a flat surface its usually full of crap too.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:42:12 PM »
I'm leaning toward rearranging the shop to make it easy to divide into woodworking and not-woodworking.  There's an 8' by 24' raised step area that currently is home to my general purpose workbench, vise, benchtop drill press and cabinet, freezer and fridge, plus a bunch of storage for supplies.  It's also where the pedestrian door is, and at the other end where the plumbing in the floor for a bathroom and the utility sink is at.  I might be able to work with that area if I can figure out how I want to position the rest of the shop.

Offline bmwrd0

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
A RAS was the center piece of my dads shop when I was a kid, first power tool I learned to use. Still have all my fingers...

At this point I do much more wood than weld, so I just have a small bottle set that I can carry outside for when I need them, which is brazing most likely. Getting old does that I think
Aaron

Guns and Books and Tools

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Offline Woody60nb

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
Just make sure you have a negative rake blade on the Radial arm saw or it will run across the wood faster than you can react.  They can be very dangerous so don't do anything you are not sure about, like ripping lumber and feeding it the wrong direction.  It will leave your hands in a flash, hopefully not taking your hand with it.

Offline Rewind

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
I'm not seeing the pic with the clamps.

Good score on all the tools though!!! I got a RAS this year from a friend that passed. I've enjoyed learning to use it. It's an older Craftsman that was actually part of a recall, but they don't have anymore kits available for it. I figure my buddy used it for many years and managed to keep all his digits so I should be fine.

There are some great YouTube videos on RAS's and things people have done to make them better.

Check out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5D3vrdQ1j3OcpCjx3ZAEzw

Watch his videos on making a new top and the one for the dust collection system for the RAS.

Offline fordtoy1

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
The best use of that radial arm saw is to put a dado blade on it and use it instead of changing out the blade on the table saw it saves a lot of time.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »
We'll see.  I already made a close-throat plate for the dado.

With the arrival of the little one I haven't spent much time in the shop, I don't expect a lot of free time until she's 6 months old and even then it will be limited compared to before.

The RAS itself is covered in stuff on the table.  Unfortunately it's been a convenient surface to accumulate junk.

I'm considering rearranging the shop.  Move the lift to being under the double garage door somewhere, make the stall behind the single door at the far end into a more dedicated wood shop, get a plastic curtain to separate the two to attempt to keep the dust down in the car/mechanics side.  Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain to rearrange and drilling those anchors into the floor is a lot of work and needs time that right now I don't have.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »