Author Topic: New to the farm, Cheep HP Cat Challenger 55  (Read 1643 times)

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
Re: New to the farm, Cheep HP Cat Challenger 55
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2017, 02:50:19 PM »
Electrical gremlin has been found and fixed. All of the "controls" (lights, turn signals, etc) where feed through the dash display so the operator knows whats on. From the dash the control signal goes to the relay to complete the circuit and power it's function. There was a power supply that fed all of the control hot commands out of the dash that was chaffed through and through. Spliced it with a new butt connector and plugged the dash display back in now all relays function as intended. Now we just need to put all that crap back in the cab.  frustratedx

We are getting close, might even have it together this weekend.   
-Matt
"I believe that the best possible social program is a job." -Ronald Regan

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
Get er done and in the field thumbsup2

Glad you found the gremlin, they can be a pain
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it in the field

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
Cab is back together. The cost of a new seat was scary to say the least but I did find you could order new cushions already covered from cat for a reasonable price. Repainted almost all of the interior pieces, scrubbed 20years worth of Louisiana brown dust out of the interior carpet, pressure washed and cleaned the floor mats. Now it even smells good inside.

Now all we have to do is spray some paint on the frame and under carriage and it will be ready to work!! Might even remove the green star gps steering wheel and replace it with a salvage yard cat wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:03:51 AM by highland512 »
-Matt

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »
Looking good,  Can't wait to hear how she works.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »
Well, reassembly is complete. Have a couple bugs to work out, radio is not functioning correctly nor is the pto. Dad wired the radio and I think he just has it wired wrong. The pto comes on with the switch but does not change speed with the engine. Most likely a solenoid issue.

-Matt

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
Sure looks a lot nicer than when you started on it!  thumbsup2
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
Glad you have come this far with just a few bugs to work out.  You will get it whooped for sure.

Digging the heater in the first pic.  With the separate circulation fan, that will move some heat quick.  I have a similar one that turned 50 years old this year and is still going strong. 

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »

Digging the heater in the first pic.  With the separate circulation fan, that will move some heat quick.  I have a similar one that turned 50 years old this year and is still going strong. 

That old hotsy will make the brass buttons on your pants hot enough to burn in short order. The only down fall is the noise. The shop is heated with a used oil heater that runs almost all the time. Dad uses the butt burner for spot heat or to help the used oil heater catch up.
-Matt

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:07 PM »

That old hotsy will make the brass buttons on your pants hot enough to burn in short order. The only down fall is the noise. The shop is heated with a used oil heater that runs almost all the time. Dad uses the butt burner for spot heat or to help the used oil heater catch up.

Yeah I hear you on the noise but I bet it isn't as loud as the big cheap torpedos

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »

Yeah I hear you on the noise but I bet it isn't as loud as the big cheap torpedos

When it is cold enough you don't care how loud they are. I just stuff some ear plugs in and go on! LOL
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
odd pto issue. curious to see what it is.

i hope you went aftermarket on the radio. i put a jvc radio and a pair of sony speakers in when i bought mine. the factory stuff was hatched. it doesn't take much to make  good music in there. i hate shitty tractor radios or ones that plain old don't work.

my 765 has the factory sub option. it got a little crackly this fall when listening to some steve miller. that will get fixed this winter.  grinx
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
odd pto issue. curious to see what it is.

i hope you went aftermarket on the radio. i put a jvc radio and a pair of sony speakers in when i bought mine. the factory stuff was hatched. it doesn't take much to make  good music in there. i hate shitty tractor radios or ones that plain old don't work.

my 765 has the factory sub option. it got a little crackly this fall when listening to some steve miller. that will get fixed this winter.  grinx

Digging around the spare parts shelves I was able to find a Delphi unit. It was meant to be put in one of our semi trucks but we sold it before the radio was installed. They are a dang fine unit we have one identical to it in one truck already, anything that can survive 1.75 million miles is good enough for this tractor. I also had some new sony 6" speakers lying around from my high school days that I never got installed in my pick up. Im the set up will be able to blast waylon, willlie, zz top, and five figure death punch just fine  bluesbro

Bother in Law is going to help over thanksgiving holiday to figure pto issue out.
-Matt

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
that one concerns me. i can't see any way that the pto can turn but not change rpm with the engine. that thing does have a pile of solenoids on it and they can do strange things.

don't know if i said this or not but all of those solenoids are the same ones found on new holland genesis tractors at half the price of cat. the nh dealers will also have them on the shelf and cat may or may not have them!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »

Tags: