Author Topic: Beryllium vice  (Read 242 times)

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Beryllium vice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »
.... for the man who has everything!!!  LOL  ;)

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
Wow, I bet they are not common.  Bought and sold a 4 or 5 lb beryllium sledge once.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »
It's a rotten shame they patterned a ugly junk chinese vise and not some gorgeous old Prentiss or Reed, etc.

Greyson

Offline 07650

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
Someone posted pics of a couple bronze Columbian vises on GJ, and a magnesium Wilton bullet. I would think those are quite uncommon.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
Wow a magnesium Wilton bullet :-\

That I would love to see.  Would love to have one in my showroom.  Would be a great attention grabber
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline fordtoy1

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
can someone explain why???? I understand no sparks but I mean what are you going to put in a vise to keep from getting a spark on or blow up because of a spark?? I don't get it wtw

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
can someone explain why???? I understand no sparks but I mean what are you going to put in a vise to keep from getting a spark on or blow up because of a spark?? I don't get it wtw

Because they are nonmagnetic.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »

I guess wherever there is a chance of flammable mists or dusts contaminating the air. I know that paper mills have certain restricted areas where a potential spark could cause an explosion. I also saw non-sparking tools used at a Raytheon assembly plant -- they handled heavy munitions. I'm guessing that grain mills would also have to comply with these non-sparking standards.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »

I guess wherever there is a chance of flammable mists or dusts contaminating the air. I know that paper mills have certain restricted areas where a potential spark could cause an explosion. I also saw non-sparking tools used at a Raytheon assembly plant -- they handled heavy munitions. I'm guessing that grain mills would also have to comply with these non-sparking standards.

A few years ago OSHA came out with a new Combustible Dust Standard that applies to many industries. Grain elevators were what drove the issue, but the standard has broad application wherever fine dust particulate can become suspended in the air and one small spark can cause a chain reaction explosion. Honestly, I know very little about that standard. In fact what little I know you just read! I do not know how that standard might have impacted the need for a vise such as this. It may have contributed to the need for such a vise, or it may not, I cannot say. I am just speculating is all.  shrugx
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:08 PM »
I know Beryllium wrenches were found below decks of oceangoing ships, due to the heavy oil fumes in the engine room.    That vise to me looks like it had a good coat of gold spray paint.

Offline tool hunter

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »
That vise to me looks like it had a good coat of gold spray paint.
I thought the same thing but what do I know.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 11:40:01 PM »
I'm also guessing that the dust and scale coming off these Beryllium tools during general use is quite toxic -- the stuff was a major killer of factory workers in the war years.

Offline fordtoy1

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
when  I first saw it  I said the same thing this looks like a $25 vise that been spray painted. it still might be and that guy is going to sell it to somebody for $2500 :))

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
when  I first saw it  I said the same thing this looks like a $25 vise that been spray painted. it still might be and that guy is going to sell it to somebody for $2500 :))

It does look like one of those cheap Chinese turds for sure. It also looks like a cheap hack paint job I agree! I have one and have no clue what to do with it. I cannot sell it as it isn't worth crap. I suppose it might be OK if a guy had no vise as it does actually work. I need to just give it to a guy and get it gone.

Hmmmmm, maybe I can give it to new member Nick. No way he has a vise as big as this thing is. And if it costs him nothing he might just go for it!  sctatcherhead
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »

Tags: