Author Topic: Vintage Craftsman "Block Motor" bench grinder info -  (Read 57816 times)

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
  • Have Tools Will Travel. Wire Torqueman. SE MI
Re: Vintage Craftsman "Block Motor" bench grinder info -
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2015, 12:50:27 PM »
Here's one clever guy's idea to catch the grinder 'dust' exiting the exhaust ports on a CM grinder. Vacuum cleaner bags!  thumbsup2

I'm going to see if we have some bags left from discarded vacuums, and give this idea a try.

Edit - Oct 11, 2015
I've received some good feedback about grinding sparks and flammability of these bags. Perhaps a better alternative would be welder's sleeves or other flame retardant fabric 'bag'.

I am a Blockhead, Man! http://tinyurl.com/CM-Block-Grinders-Why-the-Fuss

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

"Well, I don't wanna be a superman, I just wanna go somewhere, use my hands, and keep it simple. Oh real simple" - Keb' Mo'

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
  • Have Tools Will Travel. Wire Torqueman. SE MI
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2016, 04:13:36 PM »
Every so often a member will post the question or a variation of:
"How do I change the stones/wheels on a Block (bench) grinder?" or,
"How do I keep the stone/wheel from rotating when I loosen/tighten the arbor/shaft nut?"

I have posted some replies in the past, but today I thought it might be handy to start a thread [ahem, on the other site -  billcat].

Here's the link, I'd welcome your thoughts and input.
"How to change the stones/wheels on a Block grinder?"
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323969

BTW - The Block grinder crowd that visits and post on the "let's see your craftsman block grinders" thread, http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157794, is a good crowd. No drama or baiting of others, very positive and helpful.

That thread and a few others, are very similar to this site and membership.  thumbsup2 thumbsup2
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:23:31 PM by torqueman2002 »
I am a Blockhead, Man! http://tinyurl.com/CM-Block-Grinders-Why-the-Fuss

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

"Well, I don't wanna be a superman, I just wanna go somewhere, use my hands, and keep it simple. Oh real simple" - Keb' Mo'

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2016, 04:31:47 AM »
I'm picking this up in the morning, if it didn't sell yesterday.  Bslap

1/2 HP, looks pretty complete, $35.

I hope it's one of the good ones.  hidex
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:43:22 PM by Daves_not_here »
David

Offline fordtoy1

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2016, 06:32:02 PM »
I just won this on ebay, I already have a 1/2 hp and a1/3 hp block grinders but just could not pass up biding on this I hope I did not over pay, I don't think I did facepalm1. there was a bid of $158 but had not met reserve so I put in a bid of $200, it meets the reserve if I win I get $16 ebay bucks and its $17.99 to ship it for a total of $201.99 gets it to my door. let me know what you guys think? I'm not sure how to post this to the right  thread maybe someone can help with that. p.s. I am looking for a right inside wheel cover for a 1/3 hp block grinder 397. made early 60s only this picture came out in post but it is nos brand new never used, I will try to add more pictures
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:45:11 PM by fordtoy1 »

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2016, 06:32:02 PM »

Tags: