Author Topic: Vintage Craftsman "Block Motor" bench grinder info -  (Read 57608 times)

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
  • Have Tools Will Travel. Wire Torqueman. SE MI
Re: Vintage Craftsman "Block Motor" bench grinder info -
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
now I need to find a 3/4 HP version.
torqueman keep looking!
Everyday  grinx
I am a Blockhead, Man! http://tinyurl.com/CM-Block-Grinders-Why-the-Fuss

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

"Well, I don't wanna be a superman, I just wanna go somewhere, use my hands, and keep it simple. Oh real simple" - Keb' Mo'

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
well I consider myself lucky all three of my Craftsman bench grinders have the 397 prefix!
torqueman keep looking!

Can I interest you in a 1 HP?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230758881192
Nice condition and complete; but pricey. Too far for me to travel for local pick-up!

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

"Well, I don't wanna be a superman, I just wanna go somewhere, use my hands, and keep it simple. Oh real simple" - Keb' Mo'

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
torqueman keep looking!

Everyday  grinx

I knew I'd find something for you eventually. It's a 3/4HP like you're looking for and with a stand; but alas, no pictures.
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/2935755004.html

A little pricey; best of luck.

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 07:30:24 PM »
I just bought a vintage Craftsman 1/2 hp block grinder.
It has a problem is the reason I bought it cheap. A factory stand came with it. Bent pipe stand.

The problem is that the shaft for the right side is bent severely!! about 20 degrees worth. There is no wheel on it.
I have dis-assembled it and have stopped because I can't get the case to split apart.
Using a vise to try and straighten it did not help either.

So, any way to straighten it? I have a electric motor shop here in town, and I can take it over to them and get their opinion. A new shaft maybe needed,
On the bottom of the sheet metal plate is the date,,  August 19 1979.

Any help will be appreciated.   I paid 25 dollars for it.
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 08:37:38 PM »
... I can't get the case to split apart.
The ones I have disassembled came apart with a few gentle taps with a soft blow hammer; after the through bolts/nuts had been removed.

Find your way over to OWWM.com and search for a parts/operator/owner manual, to use as a guide.

Post up some pictures with a close up showing the label w/ model number.

Good luck with the shaft, I've never attempted straightening one.

And if it can't be straightened - at $25, you can get your investment back by parting it out. I am looking for a cover for the right wheel guard; 1/2 HP just so happens.

Offline mtkst19

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 01:34:18 AM »
thanks for this thread.  i picked up my 2nd block grinder today for $20 off c-list to replace my clarke china one.  my 1st one i paid $50 for and it was literally brand new in the box. i cut off the sticker label that was on the box and kept it.  Ill try to get it scanned/uploaded or take a pic of it. 

my original one has a red rocker switch like what is found on newer delta shop equipment but w/o the annoying safety button.  i wanna say it has 6.5amp motor.  the one i bought today-- it has a regular toggle on/off w/ 5.5 amp motor.      With that said, ill have to get pictures of them in the shop.  i would think my 1st purchased grinder is a newer version of what i bought today.  funny thing is none of them look like the ones linked in this thread. 

Offline atlinwi202

• Livin' the Dream
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
thanks for this thread.  i picked up my 2nd block grinder today for $20 off c-list to replace my clarke china one.  my 1st one i paid $50 for and it was literally brand new in the box. i cut off the sticker label that was on the box and kept it.  Ill try to get it scanned/uploaded or take a pic of it. 

my original one has a red rocker switch like what is found on newer delta shop equipment but w/o the annoying safety button.  i wanna say it has 6.5amp motor.  the one i bought today-- it has a regular toggle on/off w/ 5.5 amp motor.      With that said, ill have to get pictures of them in the shop.  i would think my 1st purchased grinder is a newer version of what i bought today.  funny thing is none of them look like the ones linked in this thread.

Need Pics!
-Andy

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »
I noticed differences in a couple of block grinders when I put them side by side.

1 HP (model: 257.191600)

3/4 HP (model 397.19670)

Note differences in: the central band w/ machine tag/label, main body shape is curved differently at the top, switch, wheel cover end-caps, and eye shields. The 1 HP eye-shields are not shown here, but they are 1 piece plastic.

I put the wheel cover end-cap from the 3/4 HP grinder on the 1 HP grinder; it mounts and has the same bolt pattern and arbor clearance, but alas - the dust/exhaust port is different. Too bad, I have more than 1 grinder missing 1 or more covers.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:55:25 AM by torqueman2002 »

Offline Wantedabiggergarage

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
After picking up my 1/2 hp one, I am wondering what models use the thinner wheels and what models use the wider wheels?
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
Well, not happy yet with this grinder. The saga continues,,,,,,,
I dis-assembled it as far as I could, and after taking it to several electrical repair shops around here, the only answer was to cut off the right side shaft, and see if it will be ok.
I sawed the right side shaft off flush to it's housing,,, using my air powered reciprocal saw and a blade made for hard steel.
Smooth cut in 10 minutes.
Assembled it all back correctly, turned it on and no wobbles.
The flimsy factory 1/2" pipe stand will have to go. Too much noise and vibrating off the raised wood floor of the shop.
 My shop is a factory made building, that was delivered and set in place, on concrete blocks.
I will put the grinder on a solid bench, mount it securely, and see if it works quietly.
My main bench grinder is a huge 3/4 hp that has 8" wheels on it. It does not slow down when using a wire wheel or grind stone.!!!
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
Well, at the risk of being yelled at by angry guy for showing off, I thought it might help to start a gallery of sorts of the different block grinders - various HP, models, wheel sizes, lamp styles.

I'll start with a few I have.

1/4 HP Model: 397.19400   (not mine, gift to my brother)

1/2 HP Model: 397.19440

3/4 HP Model: 397.19350 The eye shields are from a 'block-like' grinder below: Lil' Brownie

Big Blue No apparent label, maybe revealed when paint is gently stripped. Seller claimed it is a 1 HP.

1/3 HP Lille' Brownie Model: 115.7566 Not a true Block Grinder, but body shape similar to the 3/4 HP (model 397.19670) above.

Offline atlinwi202

• Livin' the Dream
Vintage Craftsman "Block Motor" bench grinder info -
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
I went to a showing for a possible new house today. The house and garage were ok. Downstairs however, there was a beautiful 1/2 Hp cman. I was tempted to leave a note with an offer on it for the Home owner.
-Andy

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
Show-off!  angryguyx

x2
Didn't we just have a thread blasting people who kept posting pics of the same shiny tools?  :POKIE:

Actually, I enjoy looking at those grinders every time you post them. You do nice work Torqueman. thumbsup2

Offline torqueman2002

• Super Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »
Thank you!

Truth be known, since I lost (GM encryption sw) my home external hard drive, the pictures and some data on the grinders is a bit scattered, even gone.

So, putting them in a gallery is my feeble attempt to show the various block grinder models that I and fellow GGers have. It might be used as a resource to check what's been made.

I'm glad you like seeing them, I use them and have others lined up for a refresh. Come on retirement>:D

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »

Tags: