Author Topic: Re: The last word on vises, I found this thread ya see.....  (Read 8147 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
It is a shame that threads like this are not stickied at the other site, they should be. I found this when I happened to troll over there for a bit tonight. I decided to copy the link and sticky it here. what a resource for a vise tutorial for those not educated on the subject.

I am shamelessly lifting it from the other site, and hopefully giving it a home referrence spot for those wishing to learn here. Ya , Ya, I know, I stole it from there, yada, yada, yada! Ah, shut yer pie hole!  :evil6: :evil5: :evil7:

Really great stuff indeed! I am told if I call this a link, all is cool , so here you go....a link.  http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline pipehack

Re: The last word on vises, I found this thread ya see.....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:24:10 AM »
The kid is sharp Buck. Knows his stuff about vises. I ended up getting a Charles Parker that is a resto project that really needs to get done. Pretty much did the same thing he did.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor.... And surviving.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »
The kid is sharp Buck. Knows his stuff about vises. I ended up getting a Charles Parker that is a resto project that really needs to get done. Pretty much did the same thing he did.

Oh I could tell. I wish he would have been there when I was. The boy does know vises, that much is clear!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline djbohn

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:32:21 AM »

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:28:05 AM »
Looks to be a young fellow not too conversant with iron.
"The post vise is a blacksmith's tool, and features a post going to the ground so that it may be hammered upon. My understanding is that these vises are made of wrought iron, not cast iron, allowing them to have ductility. It is therefore possible to "spring" the jaws without breaking them."  I have a hunch he should be saying forged rather than wrought.

"Hot forged inserts- These inserts go into the jaws half way and then stop. There are no visible fasteners. They do not come off and and are thus not replaceable. Some smaller Reeds have these style."
Got a hunch he needs to get a handle on the ancient art of shrinking an insert into a vise jaw.

Good lord, the kid puts paste wax on a vise.  Am I to understand the lad collects vises?  I mean it's probably a better expenditure of his funds than young girls, but WAXING a vise. 

I suppose somebody should acquaint the boy with Storts, he could ramble for hours about the Parker company.  Naw, that wouldn't be fair to an impressionable youth. 
© Aunt Phil 2010

Offline GeorgiaHybrid

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:08:13 AM »
...Good lord, the kid puts paste wax on a vise.  Am I to understand the lad collects vises?  I mean it's probably a better expenditure of his funds than young girls, but WAXING a vise. 

Maybe his vises are hairy and he prefers waxing them to shaving them down??!!

I just oil mine before slapping something hard into them.....

Offline mjozefow

• The Vise MAN!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:06:01 PM »
Hmmm...so am I to understand that I have been stickied in a forum to which I was not a member? That is a first!

And yes, paste wax on a vise keeps it from rusting, oil works well too.  thumbsup2

Here is one about restoration and such. Hopefully the links to another forum are Kosher.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62717&showall=1
Need an old USA made vise? I usually have several in stock. I make replacement jaws too!

Offline mjozefow

• The Vise MAN!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:11:45 PM »
Looks to be a young fellow not too conversant with iron.
"The post vise is a blacksmith's tool, and features a post going to the ground so that it may be hammered upon. My understanding is that these vises are made of wrought iron, not cast iron, allowing them to have ductility. It is therefore possible to "spring" the jaws without breaking them."  I have a hunch he should be saying forged rather than wrought.

"Hot forged inserts- These inserts go into the jaws half way and then stop. There are no visible fasteners. They do not come off and and are thus not replaceable. Some smaller Reeds have these style."
Got a hunch he needs to get a handle on the ancient art of shrinking an insert into a vise jaw.

Good lord, the kid puts paste wax on a vise.  Am I to understand the lad collects vises?  I mean it's probably a better expenditure of his funds than young girls, but WAXING a vise. 

I suppose somebody should acquaint the boy with Storts, he could ramble for hours about the Parker company.  Naw, that wouldn't be fair to an impressionable youth.

I'm curious about a few things you said. The shrinking process is something that I have not heard of. I am of the impression they are forged into the jaw. The only way I can think to replace them would be to mill them out and drill/tap the face.  Also, the difference between wrought and forged? I thought one was material and the other a process.

I'll have to look up STORTS.

And my vise habit actually pays me. It didn't start that way, but I make decent side cash fixing up and selling old vises. It's fun. So the vises pay for the other vices.  th-smile

Thanks for the complements guys.
Need an old USA made vise? I usually have several in stock. I make replacement jaws too!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »
I appreciated the effort you put into that thread, that was why I stickied it here. I like what you do with those old vises, though I will admit, I do nothing but hammer the crap out of mine! Glad you made it over here though, WELCOME!  beerdude

Offline mjozefow

• The Vise MAN!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Ahhh! Be nice to it!

Unless it is a China POS, then beat the hell out of it.  lolx

Offline mjozefow

• The Vise MAN!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
Hmmm...

Thanks for the info, I did a bit of looking...

'Wrought' is iron bent in a form. 'Forged' means hammered and shaped on an anvil when hot, usually prior to being wrought or added to a wrought design

I suppose forged is the proper term then.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
Good to see you over here, Mitch.  Don't be shy about dipping your feet in the water!   ;D
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

Quote from: Toecutter
But we're going to teach him.  You are going back for him.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 12:06:18 AM »
Lets see if I can either further confuse or deconfuse the iron thing.

Wrought iron is actually rare in today's world although the term is commonly misused.  Wrought is made by hauling a hot pig from the furnace that initially converts ore to iron, and beating the snot out of it with a power hammer until it becomes flexible iron rather than crystalline iron normally found in castings.  The pig will need to be reheated several times, and since this is done in either a coal or charcoal fire the iron picks up carbon from the fire and the hammer beats it in.  The process is very similar to Japanese swordmaking where the billet is withdrawn from the fire, folded and beaten, then refired over and over.

The only remaining wrought mill left in the US is an antique possessed by the Park Service.  They do occasionally run the waterwheel driven hammer for demonstrations, but they won't even attempt actual hammering or run a batch.  Any wrought you can find in the supply chain today comes from either India or Pakistan where it is still milled as it was in 1800, and it costs a kings ransom.

Wrought is soft due to the metalurgy, and most of it doesn't weld worth a damn with any process beyond O/A.  It is also very resistant to rusting once a layer of rust forms on the surface. 

Most bench vises are a combination of cast steel and hi carbon machinable steel. 
The body of the vise will generally be cast steel, with inserted jaws giving the vise greater holding power and grip.

Blacksmith leg vises are forged vises,  Older ones still show marks on the leg and lower post from the forging.  Newer ones were dropforged, a process of 2 halves of a mold coming together with tremendous force on a hot piece of steel.

© Aunt Phil 2010

Offline beelsr

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »
Not a problem for us, here...   beerdude

Here is one about restoration and such. Hopefully the links to another forum are Kosher.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »

Tags: