Author Topic: Latest Project....  (Read 7328 times)

Offline midnitemack

Latest Project....
« on: August 09, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »
Got this truck on Friday after long negotiations with the liquidator of a failed company, hasn't been run  on the road for over 12 months , just been sitting in a Lot.  Going to take some time to get it roadworthy , then will run it myself ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: Latest Project....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 03:56:30 AM »
Good looking rig.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline midnitemack

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:05:46 AM »
Good spec....

ISX Cummins set at 525hp, Manual 18speed Roadranger, with that setup will run up to  100,000 lbs here in NZ.

Not too sure of the history, 2004 model, has 1,500,000 km on it....

Always a gamble buying used equipment  !!

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 04:28:19 AM »
Feel free to tell me it's none of my biz but what does a tractor like that go for in NZ?
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
Now that's a "Rig" -- well done, and hope you get it on the road soon to earn its keep.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
Glad you finally got it!
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »
Looks to be right hand drive?  Your trailers or did you buy them with the truck?

Does Kenworth make them here in the US or are they made elsewhere too?

Close to a million miles.  That's getting up there.  Do you know if the motor has been redone?

Also, is most of the hauling done on flat land or do you have big hills to deal with?
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline midnitemack

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
Looks to be right hand drive?  Your trailers or did you buy them with the truck?

Close to a million miles.  That's getting up there.  Do you know if the motor has been redone?

Also, is most of the hauling done on flat land or do you have big hills to deal with?

Hi Phil,

Yes , very observant, we drive on the left side of the  road here , so pretty much all vehicles are 'Right Hand Drive'. Even some used vehicles imported from 'Left Hand Drive' countries are converted  to RHD before being used on the roads here. There is provision in the Regs for some collector and classic cars to still be operated in LHD form with a permit. I am not real conversant with this stuff, likely Rural knows more about that than me !
Got the trailers a few weeks ago from the same source, so have work to do there as well before they hit the road.
This truck was built in Australia, they build models which look quite different to US built models to cope with the harsher conditions we encounter here with our steep winding roads and Australia's heat and rough 'outback' conditions. This one is known as a T404....have a look here..

http://www.kenworth.com.au/

The Cummins ISX engine is a little bit of an unknown regarding it's history, but I have run 855cu Cummins in the past and always been impressed with the longevity and reliability, my thoughts are that at the price I paid I still have a heap of money in the Bank and we are taking an educated 'punt' after I had a great local tech pass his opinion after we started it up and run it. Time will tell if we on to a winner.
Phil we face lots of steep, slow winding climbs on the highways here, including some high mountain pass's, back when I drove OTR in the US back in 2000-2002 I never saw anything that compared to what we face here so I'm sure that 525hp engine will get a good workout on a regular basis.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:37:56 PM by midnitemack »

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
The reason I asked about the hills is that is where the wear and tear occurs on a truck.  Both on the motor and brakes and suspension etc.  Flat land hauling takes minimal toll on a vehicle relatively speaking. 

The truck looks on the outside just what we have here in the US.  Glad it is made in Australia so parts are available. 

When you buy used it is always a gamble.  But if you had it checked out by a guy you trust, you have a good shot of winning.  Realistically, a truck with that many miles or kilometers is bound to have wear but with some dollars but aside  you have a real good shot at being able to  pay for repairs as needed and coming out many $'s ahead. 

Get that puppy legal and go make some money!!!
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:22:02 AM »

Hi Phil,

The Cummins ISX engine is a little bit of an unknown regarding it's history, but I have run 855cu Cummins in the past and always been impressed with the longevity and reliability, my thoughts are that at the price I paid I still have a heap of money in the Bank and we are taking an educated 'punt' after I had a great local tech pass his opinion after we started it up and run it. Time will tell if we on to a winner.
Phil we face lots of steep, slow winding climbs on the highways here, including some high mountain pass's, back when I drove OTR in the US back in 2000-2002 I never saw anything that compared to what we face here so I'm sure that 525hp engine will get a good workout on a regular basis.

I come from the land of high HP trucks.   the 18 speed is pretty much standard.... with that much power it has enough range in it to go from a gear
that will pull a 100,000 straight up  to cruise at 80 mph with the 525.

I've got an 2003  KW  with a 525 Cat in it.   It's got high speed rear ends in it so it's going 55  one gear down on the stick.(ignoring the splitter)    shift it into
high and you get a flat land cruising gear of 60 mph  at  1250 RPM---just roll along at the speed limit at a fast idle for good fuel economy.

the ISX cummins is well regarded and probably the engine of choice in the logging industry.   The older cats like mine are good, but beginning 2007 a new wave
of emissions rules came out, and the Cats turned into hanger queens, and cat went out of the truck engine business.

at 1.5 million miles the engine is really dead or it's been rebuilt.   My cat blew up at 900,000 miles shortly after I bought it.   the rear ends and tranny will be
ready for overhauls soon if they have not had them..

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
Robert, its 1.5 million KM or 900,000 miles.  Still no spring chicken

Offline midnitemack

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 04:55:31 AM »
It's been way busy this last week hauling apples

Offline midnitemack

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 04:59:38 AM »
Had a short haul yesterday , moved about 230 tons

Online Rural53

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 05:59:16 AM »
Good to see it on the road making money
Anything that converts hydrocarbons to noise is good in my books.  http://www.youtube.com/user/Rural53NZ

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »
Had a short haul yesterday , moved about 230 tons

How much can you haul at one time?

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »