Author Topic: new to me.......... challenger mt765b  (Read 3633 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
new to me.......... challenger mt765b
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
as you may have seen in my previous thread. the 8760 went down the road.

i replaced it with a 2007 challenger mt765b with 3600 engine hours.  the tracked challenger is now  an agco product but at that time this tractor was a full blown caterpillar made with all cat parts in jackson, mn. agco now owns the right to build these machines and they are very similar but have changed slightly.

anyhow, the mt765b is rated @ 320 engine hp and is powered by a c9 caterpillar engine. mine is equipped with 25 inch tracks, 3 pt hitch, pto and of course a drawbar. the tracks are at about 80 or 90% so they should give me good service for quite a few years. it is in good outward condition and i paid to have full inspection from an independent dealer which included oil samples from the engine, transmission/hydraulic system and the two oil chambers on the rear drivers.  other than a few minor issues which we are getting worked out it inspected pretty good.

from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
Re: new to me.......... challenger mt765b
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:53:41 PM »
it doesn't look very big but the size difference is obvious when my challenger 55 is next to it. the 765b has 25 inch tracks and the tracks are set on about 110 inches center to center. the 55 has 18 inch tracks set at 90 inches wide. my 765b could be taken out 120 inches on center but my 55 is maxed out at 90. a wider version of each one was available as well as the option to go narrower.

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
Sweet unit, what's the torque rating?
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »
sweet, trading green iron for yellow iron. thumbsup2 that's a nice looking machine.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
wow the size difference is surprising!

Is the hp about the same as the JD that left?  Also, is traction the same, better or worse then the JD?

Good looking equipment.  Do you have a local Cat dealer?

Much of a learning curve using that over the JD?

Can your Dad get in and out of it ok?

Do they ride better then wheeled tractors?

What did the Mrs. want in exchange for letting you get a new tractor :POKIE: lolx

Congrats Harlan!
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »

Is the hp about the same as the JD that left?  Also, is traction the same, better or worse then the JD?

What did the Mrs. want in exchange for letting you get a new tractor :POKIE: lolx

Congrats Harlan!

I think the photo of the left front corner answers the getting in it.-----it's got a good stairway inside the track that lets you get up on the track and walk back.

We got this same problem with  log loaders.  I call them the "Tarzan cab"       There is this ladder up to the door,   but first you have to jump up 3 feet to get on top the track.

When you get in your 70's and 80's these monkey walks get to be a challenge.    I don't have as much spring in my foot as I used to.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
Nice. Those 765s are switch plowing SOBs. I did 900 acres in 2 and half weeks with one and a 6 bottom JD switch plow. I like how short you can work the headlands. The 865 pulls a 10 bottom on land at 6-8 mph which flips the crap under so nice. There's nothing nicer than having that zero radius turning for tight field corners and hooking implements up.

I think the track machines ride way nicer than any wheel machine, and do it without power hopping. We pulled the last mt855 so hard with a 22' disc ripper, the bars started peeling off the belts and the internal cables had made bulge marks on inside. It out pulled the 510hp JD in my avatar at 4.5 mph vs 3.25.

They do pretty well in less than ideal field conditions, but when they get stuck, it's bad. You can also load the drive lugs with mud and walk the track off.

Spring farming is hard sometimes. lol

Be sure to change the oil in the carrier support bearing between the drive wheels @250 hrs. Those seals love to go out and you have to pull the whole track frame to get it fixed. The oil will look like garbage when it happens. It only holds about 2 quts.

Greyson

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »

Congrats Harlan!

it should be about 50 more hp but better lugging ability as well. it should have more traction in most conditions.

i have 3 dealers nearby. one about 15 miles away and the other 2 about 45.

not much learning curve. we go back and forth between wheels and track every day but yes the do act different.

it is easy to get on and off of. between the steps, and 2 rails it should  be nearly impossible to fall from it.

field ride is better in most cases but the wheels may be better on the road.

the mrs found a different vehicle last fall. she is actually pretty low maint. and understands farm purchases are going to cost more.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »

Be sure to change the oil in the carrier support bearing between the drive wheels @250 hrs. Those seals love to go out and you have to pull the whole track frame to get it fixed. The oil will look like garbage when it happens. It only holds about 2 quts.

Greyson

the samples came back good. i am topping off all of the hubs as we speak and will more than likely change them before fall tillage. we know the front idlers are low and  have some dirt on them but don't know if it was off season seepage or what.  the bogeys are all full  i will let it sit for a day or so to see if any leak and then check the levels after we run it a day or so we have a baseline.

my 55 comes in the shop in the fall and gets the same drill. in some ways it is built heavier than the 765b. in 10 years i have replaced maybe 3 bogey seals and 2 sets of bogey bearings and it has 7200 hrs. i doubt i have spent 2500 dollars in repairs on it outside of all oil changes, filters and ac recharges.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »
OK enough horsing around, let's see it working the field! I mean it's late march for Petes sakes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
I've worked a bunch with/on the old flat track 65 and 75 challengers. They're tough and simple machines, and some of the best bang for the buck HP wise. It was too bad Cat sold off that division.

Greyson

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »
OK enough horsing around, let's see it working the field! I mean it's late march for Petes sakes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

spring is here, no doubt. but it is still march. first planting date for wheat is april 1. it will be later than that. we usually need a day or 2 at 70 to bring things around and nothing much over 50 for the next week or two. wheat gets cleaned on weds. so that is a step in the right direction.

drove it to the neighbors late this afternoon on a cruise. only a mile but still fun. it gets out and hauls the mail!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
I've worked a bunch with/on the old flat track 65 and 75 challengers. They're tough and simple machines, and some of the best bang for the buck HP wise. It was too bad Cat sold off that division.

Greyson

the old 35-85 are well regarded as well as the 700 and 800 a and b series. the later c series and up are still good machines but have seen a little more issues. agco just didn't put out as good of a product even though they stand behind them. there are piles of challengers around here. within 5 miles of me  i think there is at least 10 700 and 800 series challengers,all of them a, b or c series.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 10:53:39 PM »
Here in eastern Nebraska seeing more crawlers all the time, yellow and green ones mostly.  Those wider tracks look like they would be great for marginal land.   Actually have not seen anyone plow around here in at least 18 years. 

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »

Greyson

the samples came back good. i am topping off all of the hubs as we speak and will more than likely change them before fall tillage. we know the front idlers are low and  have some dirt on them but don't know if it was off season seepage or what.  the bogeys are all full  i will let it sit for a day or so to see if any leak and then check the levels after we run it a day or so we have a baseline.

my 55 comes in the shop in the fall and gets the same drill. in some ways it is built heavier than the 765b. in 10 years i have replaced maybe 3 bogey seals and 2 sets of bogey bearings and it has 7200 hrs. i doubt i have spent 2500 dollars in repairs on it outside of all oil changes, filters and ac recharges.

pretty confident i will be good through spring work. all of the bogeys were full and added less than a cup full to the 4 front idlers combined.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »