Author Topic: Small Engine Kind of Weekend  (Read 805 times)

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
Small Engine Kind of Weekend
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »
Starting to get equipment I've been trying to get for around the house.

Saturday I picked up a tiller I won on eBay. Paid a little more then I wanted to. Originally advertisied with free shipping, had to drive an hour and 20 minutes one way to pick it up.

Started up and runs good, but leaks fuel pretty steady. Also does not shut off with the ignition switch. Will have to fix those issues.

$100

Went to an auction today intending to buy a chainsaw. The Stihl I had my eye on went for a little more then I was wanting to pay.

They had three other chainsaws there a Stihl and a Husquvarna​. Both homeowner models. I knew I probably wouldn't be happy with them in the end.

Then I saw this homelite. Figured it would be easy to fix or sell if it didn't run.

Run great! Need to get some bar oil to make sure the oiler works. Read that that was their main weak point.

Anyone have any info on it like when it was made?

Not bad for $30.

Next I bought this 2000 watt generator.

Couldn't get it to run at the auction.
Brought it home, put some new gas in it. Pulled the choke (which I was pumping like it was a transfer pump) a couple pulls and she was off and running the generator even works!

Had plans to bolt this to the trailer and power an air compressor to add air to the tires on the pulling tractor. (Air pressure makes a big impact on traction)

Might just keep it around the house, haven't decided.

Still for $2 I'm happy!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:07:17 AM by Muddy »
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: Small Engine Kind of Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
Nice finds Mudman. Those little tillers are great.
The small generators are really handy too.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:11:44 PM »
The homeylite is a beast. I've had a few super XLs and those are monster saws.  thumbsup2
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:50:43 PM »
The blue Homelite's are the best ones.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »
Had two Homelites, would peg this one to 1970 or so.   This model or similar had one little problem, a screw will vibrate out of the base, touch the flywheel and lock it up.  One I had started real good.  Unlike a few other brands I have had.

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
The homeylite is a beast. I've had a few super XLs and those are monster saws.  thumbsup2

Agreed on the Homelite.    I've worn a couple of those out.   We used this model for logging in the early 1970's    Very reliable and not a problem to fix.    The successive models became more of
a problem,  and then  Homelight sold out to  Deere.    Now mind you  we have owned and loved  Deere farm equipment  since our first  Model R in 1954,  but what they did to  dHomelite was criminal.

While historically   many homelite dealers were also  Deere dealers,  homelite products went into Deere's  'consumer products division'...   ---   They shut down all the independent dealers  (saw shops)
and the clowns they hired in the dealerships knew nothing of the homelites that didn't have green paint on them.     We walked and haven't looked back.

when you make your living gripping one of those things you need 2 or 3 of them so one can be in the shop and some 19 y ear old kid changing the spark plug isn't why you bring it in.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »
Watch it Muddy, once you start buying stuff, its hard to stop and then you run out of room and have to seek more storage.

Not that I have any personal experience with this hidex
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »
Good going Tim -- you picked up some nice equipment for good money. Very good "Harry Homeowner" scavenging -- well done!

Offline bmwrd0

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
Nice finds Muddy, I have the red and green model of that chainsaw on my bench, waiting for time to work on it. That and my wife wants a tiller real bad, so as soon as we move...  (I hate moving.)
Aaron

Guns and Books and Tools

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
I try to think of how much simpler life would be with less small gas engines around here. But then I think of what would I do without a pressure washer, snow blower, generator, rototiller, weed wacker, chainsaw, riding and push mowers and quad. I also have a Wisconsin powered garden tractor awaiting attention. I have bought 5 vehicle batteries in the last year and now the tractor needs one. The fun never stops.

Nice grabs Muddy as I would have grabbed the Homelite and Craftsman. thumbsup2

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:43 PM »
I try to think of how much simpler life would be with less small gas engines around here. But then I think of what would I do without a pressure washer, snow blower, generator, rototiller, weed wacker, chainsaw, riding and push mowers and quad. I also have a Wisconsin powered garden tractor awaiting attention. I have bought 5 vehicle batteries in the last year and now the tractor needs one. The fun never stops.

Sounds like good reasons for condo living lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »

Nice grabs Muddy as I would have grabbed the Homelite and Craftsman. thumbsup2

I recently sold my gas powered mower, weed whipper and something else I can't remember (losing my mind).
Replaced them with cordless stuff.
My aching shoulders and the rest  of my aching body parts are glad there is no more pull starting.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »