Author Topic: small until it's in the front yard  (Read 621 times)

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
small until it's in the front yard
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:15:24 AM »
We had this kubota around for a few years.    It's a small one--not exactly a mini.      they call it a Midi   at 17,000 lbs.     Not portable  behind a pickup,   but easily portable on a tilt bed behind
a dump truck.    It's the smallest excavator I've ever operated, but today  I decided to dig a stump out of my front yard.  It as a spruce stump, from which I had removed the tree several years
ago as it was too close to the house.    Somehow it doesn't seem so small when you get it in the front yard.  IT looks huge. panicx
 panicx

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
Re: small until it's in the front yard
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
Just the right size for your type of work in the forests and road construction.
Not too large,,,,,just the right size!
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »
Just the right size for your type of work in the forests and road construction.
Not too large,,,,,just the right size!

That's why we bought it.    It's big enough to manage a weed wacker --- the reason for the heavy screen over the windshield....   though it's probably not no much of a problem in the dryer forests,  we are
in a rain forest, and the forest roads disappear in a few years unless you take some drastic action.....      Also it features an  articulating  boom that swings 180 degrees on the front of the house

In the city this makes it good for undermining  fences, walls, and foundations, but in the forestry context,  it means that you can  dig in a culvert across a road while parking on the road.

I suppose flatlanders wouldn't understand why you might want dig in a culvert while parked on the road, (instead of beside the road)   but it goes along with a saying I have:  " Do not drive on the shoulder of the road when there is no shoulder of the road."

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 01:22:18 PM »
its amazing the amount of work that you can get done with a smaller track hoe.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
Would this be about the same size as a JD 80?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:57 AM »
Would this be about the same size as a JD 80?

That is a yes and no.    Deere, of course, doesn't make excavators or at least smaller ones.  ---  their smaller models are   Yanmar  imported machines with green pain.

a  Midi excavator is defined as a model between 10 and 20,000 lbs.

the JD 80 is listed at 15,700 lbs inn one place ----  while the Kubota  80 is listed at  18,250.  but see Deere Spec sheet at.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/construction/non_current_products/excavators/80.pdf

Kubota spec  sheet is at:   http://www.vannattabros.com/11-12/kx080_spec.pdf

The Kubota  has a swinging boom,  the Deere/Yanmar doesn't appear to.
The Kubota  has a 200 cu inch  turbocharged diesel at 70 hp, the Yanmar/Deere appears to have a 55hp engine w/o  HP.

However, most of the specs seem comparable except for one, which is why we own the Kubota.

It is thet  GPM available to the AUX hydraulic power.    ---  Kubota offers  26.4 GPM while the Deere offers 4.5 GPM to auxiliary hydraulic
system.     The Aux. hyd system  is the extra lines run forward for  'attachments.'.

Actually it offers two AUX feeds--- the regular little one,   and   the Whopper feed that basicly  takes about 75% of all the oil the machine is capable
of pumping and pushes it in to the AUX feed.     This implies that in the superpower Aux feed mode-- you can scarcely use the regular excavator
functions,   but likewise if your have  an AUX  attachment that doesn't require much excavator activity when  the aux attachment is active,  you can
get the power to the aux system  that would ordinarly require  a much larger and more expensive excavator.

one of those devices is a Pro Mac  Rotary Brush cutter.
http://www.promac.bc.ca/brushcutters.php

If you goto this page, be sure and play the video on the center right of the page.
IT features the horizontal  flail cutter first, but then shows  the rotary cutter in action
on a much larger excavator than the Kubota, but we have one of these and  it's actually an 'approved' model
by Pro Mac for use with their cutter--   the only MIDI excavator capable of running the thing--- at least a few years back.

I suppose this is too much information

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »

Nope I understood it all.

Is Deere rating the GPM at standard vs Kubota rating them on the high flow circuit? That's a huge difference.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »

Nope I understood it all.

Is Deere rating the GPM at standard vs Kubota rating them on the high flow circuit? That's a huge difference.

I think this is correct.   No one at least a few years ago had a high flow circuit except Kubota,    It was and maybe still is their stand out feature that made them different from the mob.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »

Tags: