Author Topic: Barn find IHC  (Read 582 times)

Offline john k

• Super Hero
Barn find IHC
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »
Grabbed the camera quick, looks to be a 1939 International pickup.   Upon enlarging the pic I realize I sort of know the guy,  has had several rods over the years, bet he will change the wheels soon.  Unbelievably straight as Internationals had a tendency to do hard time as farm trucks. 

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
Re: Barn find IHC
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »
I love me some old school pickups. That one's sweet. It's getting tough to see them in original shape like that anymore.

Greyson

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »
There were a few years that IH actually made visually appealing PU trucks and this was one of those years. I like them still a little shaggy like that one.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline bmwrd0

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »
Nice, but I hope he doesn't change the wheels.
Aaron

Guns and Books and Tools

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »
old trucks sell for serious $$$ around here. even old junky clapped out POS' . That one would be sweet.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:21:33 AM »
old trucks sell for serious $$$ around here. even old junky clapped out POS' . That one would be sweet.

Same around here. I've been looking for a project vehicle and every rotted POS is priced like it's made of gold.
That's a gorgeous truck. I'd just make sure it was mechanically sound and drive it every day.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »
I don't think it pays to restore a vehicle from junk status.  Buy one already done or with the hard work done and finish to suit. 
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »
Nice, but I hope he doesn't change the wheels.

I doubt it is riding on OEM rims now anyway. It is sporting whitewall tires which look like late model radials to me. Originally that truck would have had split rims and old bias plies that look tall and skinny like the early Ford 600 x 16 inch tires did.

Not a lot of places will work on split rims for you anymore and a lot of guys ditch them for one piece rims that every tire shop will work on.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »

Same around here. I've been looking for a project vehicle and every rotted POS is priced like it's made of gold.
That's a gorgeous truck. I'd just make sure it was mechanically sound and drive it every day.

Our very first truck  was a 1938  cornbinder using that cab.   It was the first  'all steel' cab that   IH used.    It was on everything
from pickups to their tandem axle 'heavy' trucks.      We used it as a general farm truck  from 1954 to 1964,
Before conversion to a farm truck it had been a standard oil delivery truck.    It featured a 250 cu in 6 banger
and a 4 speed transmission.   about 15 mph between each gear.     it would go something over 50 mph but
started to vibrate so  much that it was rarely driven over 45 mph.     I learned to drive truck in this creature
when I was about 10 years old...    I would drive it around the field with a hay loader hooked to the running
board.   In those days we got much of our hay out of  swamp land along the Columbia River, so I had to learn
to drive in the field without stopping  or getting bales stuck in the chute, as there was only the 'high ground'
where you dared stop, as the swamp was a  peat bog,   as you could drive accross it and the sod would
support you and just leave tracks---  unless you stopped.   I could hardly lift a bale then so my older brother
would stack the bales as drove.    We  would pile them 7 high--- 3 in the rack---5 above and get around
150 bales on, by makeing the 3 wide above the rack--- and a bit over width.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »
I don't think it pays to restore a vehicle from junk status.  Buy one already done or with the hard work done and finish to suit.
Of course it doesn't pay, the real problem is your never done....

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »

Tags: