Author Topic: New to the farm, Cheep HP Cat Challenger 55  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
Re: New to the farm, Cheep HP Cat Challenger 55
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:07 PM »
A dry fall? Your asking for alot at least around us lolx

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »

By all means, keep giving suggestions. You wont hurt my feelings, this is a no safe space thread.

That is the beauty of this site, no need for a safe space thread.  99% of the time, folks are helpful not hating thumbsup2

Is the safe space thing for snowflakes? Things are a bit too warm around here for snowflakes  flameon  onflame so we really have no need for any kind of safe spaces.... grinx
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »

The parts fairy dropped off some yellow bags this week.

Worked on the hood with some rubbing compound and the buffer. Wow! The paint still has life in it, after some wax we had it shinning like new cat paint.

Removed the top of the cab. Pounds of dirt and cotton bulbs where removed along with a dried rat. Also got the back glass reinstalled, we are making good progress. Next weekend is full fluids and filter change and hopefully a/c service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Matt
"I believe that the best possible social program is a job." -Ronald Regan

Looking for a SK raised panel 1/2 combo wrench

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:48 PM »
looks better already. a rat in the top of the cab???!!!!!!! pukey

i hope the 3pt arms are loose. they can be a real sob. it took us about a day to get them loose on the 765b. i may never need to adjust them and you may neither but if you do you sure don't want to do it when you are in a hurry.

they are prone to fading a little. what did you use for a buffing compound?

what is the track spacing it looks like 88. if you measure the  width of the spacers between the rear hub  and the rear driver, double  them and add 60 you will know

ex. my tractor  has 15 inches of spacers on each side. 15x2 plus 60 equals 90 inches. so it is 90 inches on center.about 95% of the ones i have seen are on 60 to straddle 2 30 inch rows or 88 to straddle 4 22 inch rows.  a 60 has no spacers and has to be on 18 inch or narrower tracks. an 88 has 14 inch spacers on each side. mine is the only one i have ever seen on 90 to straddle 3  30 inch rows. it has  a 14 inch and a 1 inch spacer on each side.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
3 point arms work quite well. Judging by the drawbar this machine had something on the 3 point most of its life. Which is good because we plan on ripping with it and might even try hooking the bean planter directly to the 3 point and stop using the caddy it sits in.

Yes a dried up rat, how it got into the top of the cab (between the ceiling and the roof) is a mystery, he had been there a while though. No stink and it was stiff as wood.

We used Cyclo No.07 rubbing compound. I had used it in the past for the same purpose on red machines and it works very well. Follow up with the hand buffer and some good thick paste wax and you have a very nice finish.

I will have to measure the spacing. We are set on 30" rows, but if I remember correctly it only has one spacer and if I had to guess 15" looks right.
-Matt

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
3pt planter? i bet it would work pretty well.  they are front end heavy so weight on the back makes them level out a bit.

i am set up with the same weight package you have so i know how it will act. my john deere 455 has a very long hitch and a lot of weight sits behind the frame wheels when the boxes are loaded. it has a fair amount of negative tongue weight. a little unnerving when you go to back up  and the rear of the tractor lifts up. tractors just don't do that.

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
3pt planter? i bet it would work pretty well.  they are front end heavy so weight on the back makes them level out a bit.

i am set up with the same weight package you have so i know how it will act. my john deere 455 has a very long hitch and a lot of weight sits behind the frame wheels when the boxes are loaded. it has a fair amount of negative tongue weight. a little unnerving when you go to back up  and the rear of the tractor lifts up. tractors just don't do that.

Omy that would be rattling to have the rear lift up  :eek:

I think it would work great as long as all the tillage work is done, when we got the planter home we hooked it up to the MX 110 with the loader on it. Lifted the 3pt and almost flattened the rear tiers and its as lite as a dancer on the front. 
-Matt

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
Crusing ebay at lunch I was able to find genuine CAT operating/maintenance book, parts book, and service manuals. Scored all 3 for less than $75!
-Matt

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 03:27:55 PM »
Crusing ebay at lunch I was able to find genuine CAT operating/maintenance book, parts book, and service manuals. Scored all 3 for less than $75!

WOW, stole those!  beerdude
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
Now they will come in handy.  Likely will pay for themselves the first time you open them up
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »
you need an owners manual and the others will get used eventually.

the dash electronics are not real sophisticated but it is still much easier to use them with assistance from the owner's manual. proper fluids and capacities along with minor adjustments are still much easier to look up in the book. sure you can probably find it elsewhere but it all takes time.

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 08:23:18 AM »
It takes a lot of time, it seems to be easier to find info on my 64 year old Super H on the www than this 20 year old tractor. It became very obvious last weekend we needed these books.
This was the only real good info I was able to find on the net with out paying for a yearly subscription for a service.

http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specification?type=&category=4WD%20Tractor&make=Caterpillar&model=Challenger%2055&modelid=104733

-Matt

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:47 AM »
No progress made last weekend on the tractor. We spent the weekend getting ready for seed corn harvest.

One of the major producers have a production facility for seed corn close to us. Every fall we have trucks that haul the full ears out of the field and back to the plant so they can produce next years $260  :eek:  60lb bag of seed.

The trucks run almost 18 hours a day 6 and even 7 days when needed. We use this late summer time changing all fluids and filters, rotate or replace tires, fix any lingering issues, cycle the trailers, and give everything a good cleaning and polish. Glad thats over with, I will try to snap some pictures of unloading once they get started. 
-Matt

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 10:52:26 PM »

Rear glass installed and the fenders have loss there "droppieness".

We removed the muffler and repainted it with heat paint. We also painted all of the exterior cab metal. Replaced the side glass.

Cleaned the motor throughly, while the cab tip was off we cleaned 20 years worth of dust. Cleaned and served the ac system, now she is blowing ice cold.

Before the end of the day we installed a new radio antener and replaced the cab top, removed the grill and headlights to straighten it out and repaint. Prepping to paint the undercarriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Matt

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 11:15:16 PM »
Looking good. Gonna be like a new machine when you're done with it.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 11:15:16 PM »