Author Topic: Tractor Work  (Read 325 times)

Offline platypus20

• Hunt and peck king
Tractor Work
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
The GNAP (with the usual local crew, Norm and Trombone Pete) has been busy for the last 9 months or so, trying to revive a 1939 Oliver 70 Row Crop. We have 3 hulks, enough to complete 1-1/2 functional tractors. We did a complete engine rebuild, heads, block, rings and bearings, yesterday was the initial run. All went well, it ran, we have a bad water pump seal, the generator doesn't work (probably end up using a Delco one wire) and we still have to set final timing, carb adjustment, clutch adjustment, etc, etc. But the actual first run, is both scary and exciting.

After yesterday's run, we started to discuss the the future of the remaining hulks. We develop a wild plan to now built another tractor, using the best remaining parts to build another working tractor. We do not have a viable Oliver engine, but we have a few options to build a fully  bastardized vehicle. We have a few engine candidates. we have on offer;

1 - a Chevette (Isuzu) diesel

2 - a Chevy Iron Duke 4 cylinder

3 - A 22 hp B&S Vanguard V-twin

4 - a 36 hp 3 cylinder Duetz  air cooled diesel

5 - a 2.3L Ford Pinto motor

I also have a 4.3L Chevy v6 out of a 2000 Blazer, its the dark horse in the mix, being the only V configuration engine, being wider and also needing a computer, as its EFI (throttle body), that would have to adapt a carb.

So they decided to start the stripping of good parts, this afternoon.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:33:36 AM by platypus20 »
jack

Online jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
Re: Tractor Work
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
How about some pics?
It`s a shame Dalex has passed he loved those Olivers.

My vote is the Duetz
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »
Sounds like 2 cool projects.  Went to school with a guy who was and still is an Oliver fan.  Has about 7 I think. 

I vote for the Isuzu diesel.  I like water cooled but any of the motors would work.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
Sounds like 2 cool projects.  Went to school with a guy who was and still is an Oliver fan.  Has about 7 I think. 

I vote for the Isuzu diesel.  I like water cooled but any of the motors would work.

I've only had long term experience with the Isuzu Diesel -- what a great engine. They are truly indestructible.

Online slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
My votes for the Isuzu as well. Stout little engagement engines
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
The Duetz probably has a power band in the rpm range most suited for the gearing. The 2nd choice would be the Isuzu. Both are good engines. The Duetz are running thousands of 175 cfm IR air compressors. Miller used a 4 cyl version witha  check valve and no injector in one hole for their 400 amp air pak welders. Air cooled diesel tractors are big in Europe and have been around for a long time. I know about fighting old radiators, especially after you spend a bunch of time getting stuff hooked up only to find a core leak right in the middle.

We built 2 spray buggies with 4.3 GM V6's with fuelie sytems. Both out of s10 pickups and backed with stock 5 spds turning a 15:1 planetary rear end. They had plenty of power, but were near impossible to keep cool running constant rpm operation. We ended up with a GM 1 ton 4-core radiator with two elec fans and an elec race engine water pump. Head gaskets were being done like oil changes prior to that.

Greyson

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »

Tags: