Author Topic: This guy is an artist!! - Handbuilt the entire car from scratch --  (Read 34694 times)

Offline invision

Re: This guy is an artist!! - Handbuilt the entire car from scratch --
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »
Hi guys!

The final stage of a hot rod build can get a bit tedious...saying that though... it's my second favorite part - the first being the transition from 2D to 3D. In your mind's eye you can see it finished, but in reality there's still a long list of details that need to be completed.

We had to cut our own windshield for this project. Starting with an OEM windshield, the perimeter was taped off in preparation for cutting.

A diamond tipped cutter was used to sequentially score the glass, break it along the scores, cut the laminate and sand the perimeter.

Grill's inner trim piece.

Trim for the roadster's grill started off as 1.5"x2" aluminum stock. We then rip it down to the specified dimensions. To get rid of the saw marks, the strips were sanded starting with 40Grit paper and working on up to 120Grit.

The strip is formed, by hand, to conform to the template

It looks close, however there's still a long way to go before it correctly fits the metal surround. At this point, the aluminum trim piece is clamped at specified areas in the vice and tuned up with a mallet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:42:14 PM by invision »
Nick M.

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
Very nice work -- you're going to give Steve Moal some serious competition in the coach building trade.

Offline invision

« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
... you're going to give Steve Moal some serious competition in the coach building trade.

Thanks for the kind words Goodfellow.  When it comes to coach building Steve Moel is 'the man'... I still have a long way to go to even come close to his talents. 
Nick M.

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »
The windshield was going to be a big deal or so I thought.  The lines of the body, and now the grilleshell are just so darn pleasing.   Good work.

Online walrus

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »
How many man hours in this car? Its a great looking ride
I swear their ain't no heaven but I pray their ain't no hell

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »

Tags: