Author Topic: Tire balancing  (Read 298 times)

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
Tire balancing
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:08:55 PM »
A couple of older fellas at the motorcycle club where having a discussion.

The one was telling the other that he gets his tires balanced every time he has new ones mounted.

The other agreed in getting the front balanced, but insisted that he's installed dozens of rear tires with out ever balancing them.

I was always under the assumption that a tire is a tire and should get balanced no matter where it's location?

Then again they don't balance tires on the drive axles on semis, as they count on the weight of the trailer and load to even them out.

Who's right?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:19:39 PM by Muddy »
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
Re: Tire balancing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:04:29 PM »
A couple of older fellas at the motorcycle club where having a discussion.

The one was telling the other that he gets his tires balanced every time he has new ones mounted.

The other agreed in getting the front balanced, but insisted that he's installed dozens of rear tires with out ever balancing them.

I was always under the assumption that a tire is a tire and should get balanced no matter where it's location?

Then again they don't balance tires on the drive axles on semis, as they count on the weight of the trailer and load to even them out.

Who's right?
So this is to save some money on balancing?  Never heard of not doing the rear.

I have a No-Mar tire changer and a balancer that uses a shaft, cones and bearings that I put on a couple of jack stands and have replaced many tires on my bikes over the years.  It may take a bit of time as I usually find the balance of the wheel first and then with the tire mounted to use the minimum amount of weight but I have never had any tire balance related problems.  I always do both wheels; why not?
_Nick
vwradios.com

Offline remake3d

• Remake3D
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
You never have problems till something happens, not having something bad happen yet is not evidence of a good idea.

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »
I don't balance either, but have never taken my bike over around 120. If I had a sport bike I would, but I don't. Meh.
"Play stupid games, you get stupid prizes."JJ

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
Ran lots without balancing. Had the last 2 sets balanced and couldn't tell a difference. Moral of the story is buy quality tires and line up the valve stem mark.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »

Tags: