Author Topic: Shavin like my pop used to  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
Re: Shavin like my pop used to
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
if ya grow a beard, then you dont have to worry about shaving :)

thumbsup2  I wear a permanent goatee and just knock the rest down to stubble occasionally with clippers for the most part. Last time I razor shaved my former stupidvisor made some smart a$$ed remark about it. Wasn't so funny, for him, when he found out the reason I'd shaved was for an interview and I'd been  hired on the spot lolx

Online strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
The pictorial:

1)   razor and blade
  2)   blade in razor, razor open.      note it sets flat at this stage
  3)   razor closed but blade is still flat, note the dark line between the blade and guide is wide.   This gives an agressive cut on tough whiskers.   And makes hamburger.
  4)   razor closed tight arcing the blade.   Note the dark line is narrow now.   Not an agressive cut and requires multiple passes to get to skin.    It does not endanger the face like this.

The ideal is between the 3 and 4 stages as it suits the user.   Each will discover that magic point with a little practice.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
Hard to beat a safety razor and a good blade. The cartridges work decent but not as good as a safety razor, don't last long and are expensive. That is really the goal King Camp Gillette had when he perfected the blade and invented the razor and blades business model. Quite an interesting fellow.

Ironic on this thread since I have been shopping for a new safety razor - I want to go back and get rid of the Norelco.

What's old is new again.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 11:46:12 PM »
Ive been shaving with a Safety double edge for about 5 years now (maybe more) after getting off the Mach X bandwagon.

I currently use a Merkur Futur and a Canadian Gillette open comb from about 1925 or so.  Blade wise, I like a brand from Japanese surgical company called "Feathers". Very sharp. A average quality Badger or Boar brush is essential. You should be able to get everything you need (other than the old Gillette) off Amazon or any of the new online shaving stores.

I encourage everyone who asks to drop the modern razors and go old school. Much cheaper in the long run and gives a very nice shave. One great thing about the Futur is it's adjustable, you can adjust it from leaving stubble to straight razor close very easy.

Oh and get yourself some decent cream. Not that goo in a can from Gillette.  Some good, cheap stuff is the Nivea stuff in a tube, available at Walmart of all places. Another good cheap one if you have sensitive skin like me, is Colonel Conks, which is glycerine based.

For the ultimate in comfort, the best cream out there IMHO is out of England, made by Trufitt and Hill.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:52:08 PM by scooby074 »
ambitious but rubbish

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »
I've been considering this for some time now. I actually have 2 stainless models that were my grandpa's. I may just pull the trigger. Cartridge prices have just gotten out of hand.
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 01:30:26 AM »
 Here's a good selection from NY Shaving Company

http://nyshavingcompany.com/shop/index.php/razors.html
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline chopper1

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »
I'm such a bastard. I still use a Gillette Mach 3

Same here.  I brought some safety razors and a small box full of new Gillette packs from my late step dad.  I ripped the crap out of my face and went back to the Mach 3.  They may cost more but being on coumidin I can't take the chance.
mike

I don't need anger management.  I need people to stop pissing me off!

Offline straight8

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
When I did shave on a regular basis a "safety razor" is all I've ever used. I don't want to come off as a tree hugger but disposable razors stay aroung in land fills forever.  Blades rust away quickly.  The bummer is that modern medicine cabinets don't come with the little slots to dispose of blades in.
If it ain't broke fix it until it is.

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »
I beg to differ with ya Straight 8. I've lived in my current house @12yrs now. 2 years ago we  remodeled the main bathroon and found a wall full of blades. probably filled up 1/2 of my wet dry vac with them. I was scared shipless messing with them things. almost everyone of them looked brandnew. very little if any rust at all on them. I just knew they were going to slice me open somewhere. panicx

Very few med cabs left with the little slot in the back.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 12:40:27 AM »
Which part of your body were you shavin' Uncle Buck ?   th-bounce

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 01:21:55 AM »
Which part of your body were you shavin' Uncle Buck ?   th-bounce

That is just messed up Merk! To answer your question the only thing that I EVER shave is my face.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 05:41:31 AM »
That is just messed up Merk!

BAWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :))

LMAO!! :))

Offline stephen9666

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »
I've been debating trying an old-time safety razor, but for now I switched to better shaving products and more affordable razors.

I was recently googling this and found Dorco. They are an OEM for some companies and you can buy direct from them for way cheaper than other brands. There are discount codes online, also. Dorco blades are made in Korea.
http://www.dorcousa.com/

I also switched to Proraso or Arko shaving cream applied with a brush.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »
I used to shave, but I have extremely fine, thin hair so I could get away with shaving twice a week with those yellow Bic disposable single-blade razors.

Eventually about nine years ago I got tired of shaving.  My wife still uses the razors for her legs, we find that even the cheapo ones can be stropped back into usefulness.  She just ran out of the shaving cream that I'd bought all those years ago- I'm surprised that the can still worked honestly.

I get my beard and hair trimmed a couple of times a year, to even out the hair (one side grows faster than the other for some reason) and to hack back to 5/8" on the beard.  Works well enough.

Offline mtkst19

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 11:35:57 PM »
why not shave / a straight razor?  when i did shave i would use one.  1st few times i looked like i lost a fight w/ freddy krugar.  then i got the hang of it w/ some tips from my barber friend.   hardest part for me as controlling the blade while looking in the mirror. 

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 11:35:57 PM »

Tags: