Author Topic: a dangerous occupation  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
Re: a dangerous occupation
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »
It fixates into a form of nitrogen that fertilizes crops.   In storage and transit, its in a liquid form and is super cold.  In the open air, its a vapor.

To inject it into the soil, it is metered from a tank-wagon, thru hoses, and into knives mounted to a toolbar that is pulled by a tractor.  The soil fills in behind the knifed soil and seals the ammonia vapor into the ground. 

Scott

Thanks Scott. I've never heard of the stuff before. shrugx

Offline Scout Driver

• Global Moderator
  • Hunt and peck king
  • Scout. Anything less is just a car.
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »
You're welcome, Merk.  Happy to pass along the info.

Scott

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 12:35:35 AM »
I hope your friend just has some minor superficial injuries and he's OK. Please keep us posted.

If the guy is being moved it's serious sadx

My brother manages a farm store and has a lot of problems with methheads stealing AA.  They will put it in any kind of container, even a 5 gallon bucket.

That might be the stuff meth heads put in propane tanks. I know there's something hazardous they use the tanks for but I can't remember if it's AA or something else shrugx

Anyways SK I hope your buddy makes it and doesn't have any permanent injury beyond scarring.

And yeah farming is way more hazardous than the "headline" dangerous occupations. And it ain't just chemicals and equipment. Animals can get ya too. A retired farmer that lived down the road from me growing up was nicknamed One Ball. Can't remember if it was a cow or a horse that removed the other one.

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 06:11:12 AM »
I hope is allright that is some gadawful stuff.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 03:39:42 PM »
still don't really know how it happened but did find out he had goggles on so his eyes are ok. he was moved to hennepin county medical in minneapolis and they put tubes through his nose to allow him to breathe easier. his o2  levels were good today wich means he probably has very little or no lung damage. it sounds like his chest, neck, throat  and mouth were burned. while those are serious injuries it is much better than the eyes and lungs stacked on top it.  i have heard that a good recovery is posssible but i can only assume that these types of injuries are painful and take a long time to heal
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline shovel

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
I hope your friend recovers fully sk. I used to have to deal with this stuff at work. This part of my job I hated the most. I have tankerman friends that load & unload barges of this stuff. They claim to learn to breath through their butt  to keep from inhaling this stuff. I"m glad that I dont have to fool with it anymore.
"The whole world sucks. America sucks a lot less. Texas doesn't suck at all!" Ted Nugent

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Hope your friend is OK. Ive worked in industrial settings where theres been some pretty nasty chemicals, but i had no idea Anhydrous was that bad until i looked up the MSDS. When i think ammonia, i think windex. Couldnt be more wrong.
ambitious but rubbish

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 01:45:35 PM »
i heard some more info on how it happened today. it was something real stupid he was doing and i really don't want to go into it further. still tragic and should not have happened.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 01:45:35 PM »

Tags: