Author Topic: Homeade diesel air compressor  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Snaparxon

Homeade diesel air compressor
« on: April 02, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
I always wanted a good economical heavy duty air compressor. A couple of years ago a friend gave me a couple of 2cyl diesel engines that came off of semi trucks from California. They were used to to provide electricity and air conditioning on the trucks instead of running the trucks diesel engine. Anyway I bought a used compressor and tank for $100 and attached one of the 10hp diesels to it. The dificult part was making a cooling system since these engines are designed to use the trucks cooling system. They have their own radiator but no cap or way to add coolant so I built a resevoir out of an old fire extinguiser and brazed a filler neck on with a radiator cap. I also got lucky and found a fan off of a Kubota 2cyl engine that fit my water pump pulley and then built a fan shroud to surround the fan and mount to the radiator I then built a fuel tank that holds about 3 gallons. I had to fill the tank one time last year, running the compressor almost everyday off and on.  The engine has glow plugs so it will start pretty easily in the winter.
The compressor has a built in unloader valve that I attached another hand operated valve to to allow the engine to start without the compressor building pressure, saving the starter from working to hard. When 150lbs of pressure is built up in the tank the unloader kicks on and lets the compressor turn without building pressure, when the pressure drops to 120lbs the unloader shuts off and the compressor begins building pressure. I had a machine shop make an adapter for the flywheel to allow a pulley to be attached. Originally I made an adapter out of on old 80 chain sprocket that had a keyed 1-1/4" keyed shaft of which I welded the shaft to the sprocket. It lasted about 8 months before the vibration cracked the weld and then I really had a vibration.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:27:06 PM by agmechjake »

Offline bmwrd0

• Super Hero
Re: Homeade diesel air compressor
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
Wow thats cool! 
Aaron

Guns and Books and Tools

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Offline Snaparxon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
Here is a couple picks of the engines. The engine in the black metal box is what the assmbly looks like when attached to the semi. The other pic is with the metal box cut off leaving the engine by itself. These are completley computer controlled engines of which I did not recieve the computers so I had to rewire the fuel shut off and gauges as well as the starter and added my own ignition switch. Also a pic of the engine mount I made to also allow the engine to slide to tension the compressor drive belt.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
Very nice -- how much air (SCFM) do you reckon this beauty makes?

Well done!!

Offline Snaparxon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
Very nice -- how much air (SCFM) do you reckon this beauty makes?

Well done!!

I don't know what the SCFM is but it will run a 1" impact gun with very little air loss and will maintain 100psi constantly through a standard blow gun.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:30:31 AM »
Great job Jake-very nice use of re-cycled items and you have probably more air than you can use for your garage/shop! beerdude

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »
Great job. That's very cool.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »