Author Topic: Compressor ID Help  (Read 1467 times)

Offline zdorsch

Compressor ID Help
« on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of a project and the gaskets, at the very least, are shot on my compressor--but I'm having a hard time finding parts for it. 

As far as I know the compressor was built during the late 70's and is probably some version of Campbell Hausfeld/Craftsman/Speedaire.  I've searched google images and several of the parts places, but the cylinder case seems to be different than most of the other compressors that I find.  I'm wondering if they cylinder size varies that much based on the type of cylinder case?  Brand seems to influence parts availability, so I haven't had much luck cross referencing different brands based on identical parts; i.e. Speedaire parts will have a rebuild kit, but Craftsman will have individual parts. 

I've attached a few pictures. 

Thanks,

Zach

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
Re: Compressor ID Help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »
Gawd, I hate hanging on to my old receipts and stuff....seems I bought my Speedaire in '79.

I have the full replacement parts list for models 3Z323A, 3Z395A, 3Z355A (which could be twins of yours)

Lets start with the fact that there are NO gaskets listed on this list. All the hardware (motors, flywheels, belts, valves, etc).

I'll add more pages, if this one is helpful.

Offline zdorsch

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:57:27 AM »
Thanks OldnSlo!

I looked through the diagrams and the cylinder case on those is different, but I was able to find an old expired ebay auction for a Speedaire 3Z406D compressor. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedaire-3Z406D-Industrial-Air-Compressor-w-Dayton-9K322J-1HP-3450RPM-PARTS-/131759207061?nma=true&si=rxXX%252B03%252FoIxTrYWwfL2VtfYDc9U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

When I search for parts for the 3Z406D, I found this http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/portable-oil-bath-air-compressor-parts-3z406d-p-802370.html, which has the other cylinder case design. 

Does anyone know if the cylinder case is irrelevant or why there would be different cylinder cases for the same compressor?  I wonder why there would be different castings for the same compressor.

Zach

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:51:52 AM »
I'm not clear on what you need other than gaskets. If not found locally, with gasket in hand, a sheet of gasket material would solve the issue in no time.

Boom. Done.

Offline zdorsch

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »
Sorry to be unclear.  At this point I haven't taken anything apart, so I'm guessing only gaskets based on oil draining out from the cylinder case combjned with the air leak from the same area.

I'm hoping that it's only a gasket or two. Looking at the gasket kit there are several gaskets and I want to make sure I order the correct gasket; i.e. Don't want to order a cylinder head gasket for a 3" bore if it's only 2.8". I'm trying to prepare for anything else that may be amiss with the compressor pump since the compressor was never really maintained before I inherited it.  I anticipate needing to order most parts online as finding small parts repair places has been problematic for any other tools I have worked on.

Thanks again!

Offline zdorsch

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »
I ended up order the gaskets for Campbell-Hausfeld VT210200AJ , which worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help!

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »