Author Topic: Bad Primer Experience X-O Rust  (Read 134 times)

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
Bad Primer Experience X-O Rust
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
Spent sunday morning getting ready to paint parts from Project Trainwreck Bandsaw. Got a decent $3 hillbilly plastic sheet paint booth set up. Hung my blasted, etched, dry parts up and started shooting what I thought was rust-o-red primer. It was X-O Rust brand from True Value. I wasn't looking for a Lambo paint job and had experienced good results with Rustoleum in the past, so I figured it was all the same. I was WRONG!

It seemed thin at first opening. Had a nasty mat stuck to the bottom (probably old). Stirred it up good. Thinned it less than 10% with fresh, regular thinner and shot it with a HF $9 special HVLP. It wanted to run bad, and I couldn't fog a thin enough first coat. I usually lay a light first coat, then pour it on to build and blend 2nd and 3rd. This crap took forever to flash. It was 85 deg and not horrible humid, plus I had good air flow through the makeshift booth. This was my first inkling that I was going to have issues. I blissfully kept on, and shot 3 coats into the early evening, cleaned up and called it a day.

I kept waiting for it to go flat as it dried, but it didn't happen last night. I got home from work today (which was 95 deg and breezy), and it was still glossy and tacky. It isn't chalky or flat like I'm used to primer being. I'm Pissed! I had 2 days of prep in these parts and now I don't know what to do. It looks like regular painfully slow dry rustoleum, but a splotchy gloss finish. I scraped at a couple little spots and it seems to want to peel up easy. I'm praying I can give it a week and it'll harden up so I can shoot a top coat, though that may be throwing good effort after bad. I'm hesitant because the paint I bought to top coat is more of this X-O crap. It's just a junk bandsaw, but I wanted it to look a little better than the standard machinery dealer Earl Schieb shot over all the rust and gunk. This is pointless rambling.

I feel like it shouldn't be rocket appliances to shoot cheap oil primer. I did way more prep/setup on this than I usually do.

TL;DR X-O Rust primer is trash. Don't waste your time.

Quick drying my arse

Greyson

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
Re: Bad Primer Experience X-O Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:13 PM »
I've shot gallons of primer, but not this. Is it a pour and shoot product, or is there a prescribed reducing ratio? I saw your 10% note.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:35:03 PM »
I couldn't get enough out of the gun straight out of the can. 1.5mm tip. I've thinned rustoleum primer in the past with absolutely no issues. The thinner should increase the dry time in theory if anything.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
That sucks you had a bad experience with that stuff. I will never use Behr exterior paint again. My shop has gone from the same light brown as the house to purple with a different shade on every side. It isn't the cost so much as the labor lost and future amount of labor needed. >:(

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:46:21 PM »
That sucks you had a bad experience with that stuff. I will never use Behr exterior paint again. My shop has gone from the same light brown as the house to purple with a different shade on every side. It isn't the cost so much as the labor lost and future amount of labor needed. >:(

Exactly. That's a rotten deal with that stuff. I don't give two schits about the $12 for the qt of paint, but now I'm trying to decide if I keep going or spend a day+ and $75 re-sandblasting these parts. I'm sure if I called and complained, they might send me a coupon for a replacement qt of their crap paint and I could do it all over again.  Bslap

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
What thinner did you use? It's an oil based primer -- the preferred thinner is mineral spirits or turpentine. If you thinned it with lacquer thinner that may be the cause of the problem

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »
What thinner did you use? It's an oil based primer -- the preferred thinner is mineral spirits or turpentine. If you thinned it with lacquer thinner that may be the cause of the problem

Ya, that would throw a huge wrench in the works for sure. This is the kind of issues I have had with Rust-o-leum paint when I mixed it and ran it through a gun. Except I know I used whatever thinner was recommended (I seem to recall mineral spirits) for Rust-o-leum. Anyway, that was decades ago and I was painting a little utility trailer and it took that crap days to dry. That was the beginning of my dislike for Rust-o-leum products.

I feel your pain Harlan!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »

I thinned with Sunnyside Specs Thinner, which is 100% mineral spirits. Everything I did was a repeat of times before, with the only variable being the brand of primer. Rustoleum has always gone easy for me in the past, so I thought nothing of shooting a bunch of parts without a test. That's my main fuk up.

As for slow drying of rustoleum, I have started using hardener, and will never go back to not using it. 8 parts paint, 1 part hardener, and up to 4 parts thinner (I've used acetone when I wanted a really quick dry). Mix for 15+ min or it'll orange peel. It's glass hard in 24 hrs and really glossy, though acetone will cut the gloss some if used.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
Leave the parts outside in the sun and see if the tackiness fades and converts to a hard coat. If it doesn't, then I'm afraid you'll have to strip it and try again. 

I do feel your pain. Last Dec. I had to paint the rear hatch on my daughter's car and I was given the wrong reducer (very slow) by my supplier by mistake. The result was that my paint never dried past the "tacky" stage and it felt like moist chewing gum when touched. I had to strip the entire area and start from scratch.

Just a suggestion for what it's worth at this point, but I would forgo the oil based stuff and shoot a cheap epoxy primer on that bare metal and follow up with a catalyized alkyd or urethane farm implement enamel. I usually have some left-over enamel paint from previous jobs sitting around and use it liberally on my old machines.

Good luck!

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
I'm gonna let it sit through a week of 90+ weather and hope for the best. I'm 50% ready in my head to invest the time starting over.

Greyson

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »

Tags: