Author Topic: New to me Travel trailer  (Read 185 times)

Offline Chuck Farley

New to me Travel trailer
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:43:01 AM »

Today  I went and bought a "new to me" travel trailer.  (My old one had suffered an unfortunate mishap)

After two years of searching for a suitable replacement (narrowed the field down to ONE make & model a couple of years ago) I finally found the one I sought, with the options I wanted

I pick it up on Wednesday

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: New to me Travel trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 01:23:30 AM »
Pics! Where are the pics?!
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:46:29 AM »
I'd luv to post pix of it.  However, my kumpooter won't let me do much of anything right now.  While I have I-net, I do not have e-male.   I cannot open any large files.

I cannot attach stuff to messages

However, you can see it on: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

Under Fiberglass RVs for Sale - Canada, select BIGFOOT TRAILERS - Canada

It is the one now marked as "pending" , complete with pix etc, located in Coquitlam, BC

I will be bringing it home tomorrow   :-*

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 04:23:19 AM »
It looks like the big brother to the one I'm going to look at this week and probably buy.
I've been looking for a Boler for a long time and this 2010 Outback is the closest I can find.
Small and light, sleeps two and has a shitter.

Bruce.

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »
You will never regret getting a molded fiberglass unit.  Traditionally- built trailers (and campers) are made from 2X2's with some sort of "skin" on inside & outside.   Often the inside skin is some form of luan while the outside is aluminum.    Because the structure flexes, the whole thing racks and twists going down the road, causing seams to loosen and eventually open.  Next rainfall means water in between the inner & outer skins, so rot, mold & mildew set in and .....  (That's the reason why most RVs age in dog years)

A molded glass trailer is two 'glass boat hulls bonded together - no "stick-built" construction.   No seams, no racking, no rot, mildew or mold

An excellent site for those of us in the glass trailer "fraternity" is http://www.fiberglassrv.com/ 

Over the years I have had two stick-built trailers, one stick-built pick-up-mounted camper, a Surfside (14 footer) one big (17 footer)  Boler and this is my second Bigfoot

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »
Which is exactly why I want a Boler. The 17' ones are the only ones with a bathroom and are rare as hens teeth around here.
I've owned stick a skin trailers and a truck camper. The camper wasn't bad but all the trailers WILL leak at some point no matter
how you try and seal the roof.
I remember reading a long time ago that I read Bolers were invented by a guy who made septic tanks. Makes sense to me.

Bruce.

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 03:44:05 AM »
His name was Ray Olecko.   He had invented fiberglass septic tanks which were SO much lighter and cheaper to make than the concrete ones

He started using the same technology to make ultra-light, massively strong little trailers that looked (a bit) like Bowler Hats because he wanted a light-weight trailer to take his family camping.  After a while he was manufacturing them and shipping from Winnipeg by the thousnads.  So he sold rights to the name & technology to a guy who handle US production.  That guy - based in Backus, Minn, became Scamp.   His brother moved to Texas and opened Casita.  (Copies of the same Boler Molds.)

Trilium developed their own version in Ontario.   Your Outback is a Trilium 

There are over 25 - 50 makes & models, most of which are direct copies of  the original Ray Olecko molds.

Vanguard - makers of "sticky" units made some as well.  Jimmy Pattison purchsed rights to use Boler molds and also took over vanguard.  Pattison also got ownership of Bigfoot.

When Vanguard went under (and moved to North Battleford Sask, and went under again!) Bigfoot kept the molds for the li'l 13 footer.   Bigfoot was already making a different version of the little 13, but when the Bigfoot factory burnt down, they started using the Boler molds - it was all they had!

Pattison's NEONEX  also designed a 15 foot Boler (I've only ever seen two of those!) and a 17 footer - one of the best 17's ever!  (There are 3 different floorplans for the Boler Model 1700 - mine had the shitter & shower on the left side of the trailer, along with the water heater.   Water pump was under the rear couch/bed.)   Many did not have a shower.

Bigfoot then designed and made their own 15, 17, and 19 footers.  The version II of the 19 was a spectacularly ugly SOB - it just looked all outta proportion!

Bigfoot also makes a 21 and a 25.   Only Escape makes a 17, 19 and 21 in competition and the Escape 21 is a full foot narrower than the Bigfoot 21 (The Escape looks cramped inside by comparison!)  I don't know of any others who make anything bigger than a 17.   Very briefly, Bigfoot made a 28 footer called the Silver Cloud.  The plant burnt down (seems to happen a LOT!) after only about 15-20 were made.

In tersm of the ones 17 feet or bigger, Bigfoot has positioned themselves against Airstream in the price/quality market,  ( A brand new 25 is well over $79,000!) so their market is higher-end than Escape.   

In terms of the smaller size units, from what I understand Scamp & Casita are fighting on price, and the others are fighting on quality vs price vs options etc.

Sometimes ya gotta travel to get the one you want.   The only Boler 17 around here looks to be identical to the one I used to have.  It's on Vanc Island at $8950 askin price.  (I had to go to Texas to get a good price on the 21 I just had.)

Are you "handy" in terms of fixing one up? 

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 03:11:12 AM »
I used to work in  Fibreglass shop and the boss used to pick up wrecked Bolers and we'd fix them up and sell them. We even pulled a mold off one. Never did use it though.
We used to be the Canadian manufacturer of Argo bodies also.

Bruce.

Offline Andrewhr

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
Bruce, have you ever worked as a cobbler?
i'm as confused as a baby in a titty bar

Online brslk

• Can use hammer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »
Bruce, have you ever worked as a cobbler?

I wish! No...

Bruce.

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
Just in case Boler 17 footers are not as easy to find as you'd like - have a 'boo" at this Bigfoot 17  Located not all that far from me

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/rvs/d/ft-bigfoot-fibreglass-travel/6259823657.html

No idea if it is any good or not  confusedx   shrugx  - but I can go see it if you'd like...... 

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »

Tags: