Author Topic: Tell me about chip keys  (Read 282 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Tell me about chip keys
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
I have one "chip key" for our 2003 Mazda Tribute. I keep seeing where I have to have two functioning chip keys to get more? Explain the chip key thing and how it all works. I already know the basics, chip is buried in key head. Before the thing will start the chip is tied to the electronics of the car meaning that unless I have a chip key that is coded or programmed to work in my car the thing will not start.

Is there a way that a cheap so and so like me can get one or two more keys without spending $100 to do it?  headscratch
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
Re: Tell me about chip keys
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:49:08 PM »
No chip keys here so never had to get one. I think our local Ace Hardware offers them.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:51:08 PM »
I took the rfid chip out of the key for my VW Passat and taped it way back up under the dash near the steering column so it would activate the immobilizer. Then I bought a $30 key off ebay with an unprogramed chip and never did anything else. The stealership wanted $350 or something for a replacement and programming. Never had an issue.

Greyson

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »
I took the rfid chip out of the key for my VW Passat and taped it way back up under the dash near the steering column so it would activate the immobilizer. Then I bought a $30 key off ebay with an unprogramed chip and never did anything else. The stealership wanted $350 or something for a replacement and programming. Never had an issue.

Greyson

Lots of people do that. They just get a regular key cut and hide the chip key somewhere in the car. My Range Rover used to have a chip key. That's the only one I've ever owned that did.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:10:45 PM »
Ub, there is a transducer in the ign lock that reads the key. It is read by the anti-theft module, the module then sends the ok to the pcm on the network. The pcm needs the ok to allow the starter to engage.

You can program up to 8 keys yourself IF you have 2 programmed keys. If not the PATS (passive anti theft) module will not enter program mode and will need to be accessed with an approved scan tool.

There are locksmiths and mobile steering column businesses here that are cheaper than dealerships but none are cheap.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:59:16 AM »
I ran into this with these keys.  Guy trades in a car,  in the keys he hands over are some that are not programmed.    One of these is what the salesman tags and puts in the car.   Guess what?   Car won't start.   Keep trying it, some will not, some will start and die in 3 seconds, and if you keep trying past 5 times, some of them will lock up the electronics for hours, unless you carry the scanner out to the car and unlock it with a special code number.  I tried taping the ruined/bent key to a new plain key,  some cars won't read the chip that way, must be on the key in the switch.  fun fun fun,

Offline Andrewhr

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 02:44:40 AM »
How's a honest car thief meant to make a living these days

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

i'm as confused as a baby in a titty bar

Offline MAD

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:18:23 AM »
The Focus I am currently driving only came with one key. I got some cheap non-chip keys made in case I locked the key in the car, but still felt nervous only having one key that would start the car. I took the plastic trim off of the steering column and experimented with where I had to hold the chiped key while I cranked the ignition with the hardware store key. Once I found the sweet spot where it would fire and run, I zip-tied the chiped key in place and put the trim back on. I figured if I ever had a problem, the original intact key is there if I need it. It has been this way for two years with never a problem starting the car with the non-chip hardware store keys.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:18:23 AM »

Tags: