Author Topic: SHOW US YER MACHINE SHOP STUFF!  (Read 30972 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
SHOW US YER MACHINE SHOP STUFF!
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
Whatever you have that might commonly be found in a machine shop toss a few pics up here. I wish I had better quality more industrial machines such as a Bridgeport mill, and a Southbend lathe, but that is not the case. I mainly have the often cussed Atlas brand equipment in my little shop. The reasons for this are, one it was what I encountered, two, the prices fit this poor boys pocket, and three, they can easily be moved around either by myself, or with another stout fellow.

With that said, I enjoy using these machines from time to time for small jobs as they come up and I really enjoy owning these machines, even if they are lowly Atlas brand machines.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:05:24 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline X1 Mike

Re: SHOW US YER MACHINE SHOP STUFF!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:14:54 AM »
You have more shapers than any shop I've been in in the past 15 years................. Wait is that a compliment or an insult?  scratchhead Take it as a compliment I love's me some old shapers.  beerdude

I used to work with a shaper-hand that could have come straight from central casting, he was an old dude who didn't move too fast and smoked a pipe while he was running his shaper. 
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:49:28 AM »
Cool stuff UB I really like the lathe and mill. How does the Ex Lax sign fit in? sctatcherhead :)) Just kidding old signs are neat too.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »
That is a good one, it's an old porcelain sign!  th-smile Plus, the fact that it's Ex-lax always kills em!  lolx

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline The Rusty Gear

• Pushing the limits of ignorance
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:57:15 AM »
Wow, I certainly can't compete with UB!

My *ahem* "Machine shop" is housed in a closet. Well, not quite - There is an 8(?) foot long alcove in the garage about 2' deep (a closet!) The previous owners had shelving there, but I realized the potential of that area and tore the shelving down.

Below is my 10x22 Grizzly Lathe and you can also see my Princess Auto Cutoff Bandsaw tucked beside it

On the other side of the closet . . . I mean machine shop, are my Canadian Tire drill press and Baldor grinder.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
In a way I'm lucky. I have a separate machine shop building next to my garage that is dedicated to my electronics and machining work. It's intentionally separate from the house because I don't carry the swarf all over the garage and the living areas in the house. I've learned my lessons on swarf. It gets into every nook and cranny and even a small sliver can do some real damage to bare feet and animal paws. I'm pretty anal about this. So much so, that I keep a pair of shop boots in the machine shop, and will change boots before entering and exiting the shop. It works ---

My machine tools are VERY basic. No DRO's, or fancy electronic drives. I have some very cheap HF machines, that are enough to complete most all my machining tasks.

I converted this Taiwanese HF 14" vertical bandsaw for metal cutting. I also have the venerable Taiwanese 4x6 vertical/horizontal bandsaw which gets used the most.

I have an ENCO 17" drill press and a small Rockwell vari-speed drill press in the main garage next door. I do keep a small 5" drill press in the machine shop for electronics work. For HUGE drilling jobs in the machine shop, that HF geared head mill/drill will do the job just fine.

The HF sliding compoung mitre saw is currently setup to cut aluminum tubing. It works much faster than the chop saw or bandsaw.

That's about it --

EDIT -- as Buck pointed out, I forgot to add pics of the grinders and the 17" drill press.

Early Enco 17" drill press from Taiwan. I like it because that model was able to step down the speed to 120 RPM

1/2HP Remington 120/220v bench grinder (Taiwan) -- a workhorse for wire wheeling. That grinder has seen three decades of use.

Ten year old Craftsman variable speed bench grinder. I like the variable speed, but everything else is pretty much cheap Chinese manufacture. Definitely not near the quality of an old Craftsman "box motor" grinder that Buck has.

This is a Chinese clone of the venerable Baldor tool grinder. Surprisingly, it's a very good machine. Lots of power and torque, ultra smooth bearings, and the castings are massive (just like the old Baldor units). I really like this tool grinder!!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:07:58 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
Great stuff guys, others need to add, your drill press,grinder, etc...

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
You have more shapers than any shop I've been in in the past 15 years................. Wait is that a compliment or an insult?  scratchhead Take it as a compliment I love's me some old shapers.  beerdude

I used to work with a shaper-hand that could have come straight from central casting, he was an old dude who didn't move too fast and smoked a pipe while he was running his shaper.

Interesting story behind the shapers, the first was bought through KS State Surplus for something like $250 bucks or so, it was missing its vise. I really thought little of it until I priced low profile swivel base vises!  :eek: An old Atlas vise used, or a low profile new replacement Palmgren would both cost about $200 regardless the choice you make, I have never found one for less in recent times.

Fast forward a couple of years and I was in Wichita on business. I stopped by a used machinery dealer to look around. I found both the Atlas mill, and another Atlas shaper, this one complete with vise, when he priced me the pair I bought both though in reality I could afford neither one! I paid $200 for Atlas shaper #2, and $300 for the Atlas mill. Someday I will reassemble Atlas shaper one after it has been rebuilt and sell it restored for a good sum more than $200 I paid for the second machine that in reality was in much better condition.

Now a couple years later a neighbor told me the 8" Shape Rite, a far heavier machine than the Atlas machines was setting in a garage a few blocks from my house which was slated for demolition. I contacted the owner of the garage and bought the Shape Rite for $20...........No way I could turn it down. Perhaps one of these days I will just tire of having the Atlas machines and sell both keeping just the Shape Rite as it is a far better machine anyway. So that is how a guy ends up with three metal shapers at a total cost of $470 for all three combined. 

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
Wow, I certainly can't compete with UB!

My *ahem* "Machine shop" is housed in a closet. Well, not quite - There is an 8(?) foot long alcove in the garage about 2' deep (a closet!) The previous owners had shelving there, but I realized the potential of that area and tore the shelving down.

Nice machines RG, and kudos on the use of limited space. Excellent post!!

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:24 PM »
Ten year old Craftsman variable speed bench grinder. I like the variable speed, but everything else is pretty much cheap Chinese manufacture. Definitely not near the quality of an old Craftsman "box motor" grinder that Buck has.

GF, What do you like about the variable speed? I could maybe see where it might be useful for polishing but you've got stones on your grinder.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »

GF, What do you like about the variable speed? I could maybe see where it might be useful for polishing but you've got stones on your grinder.

I like it for grinding HSS and chisels. With a full tilt grinder, the tool not only overheats very quickly, but also cuts way too fast. With the variable speed I can minimize the overheating AND have enough control to set a good edge on a chisel or tool bit.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »
Yup, no doubt about it!!! You win OCG --- I always love to see pics of that equipment. It's truly "what dreams are made of".
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:17:54 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »
I will echo Godfellows sentiments, that shop of your and the pics you shared never ceases to amaze me. Absolutely a home machine shop dream come true! I Will admit, even if I had such an arsenal of quality equipment I do not have the skills to realize the full measure of productivity out of many of the machines you showed. That never stops me from being awed by your home shop!

Thank you so much for posting it all here too!  beerdude

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
She is a big un!

Offline Arkangel06

• King of Cheap!!
  • Super Hero
  • Me is a Kanadian Eh!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »
OCG is a tough act to follow.
Ladies and gentlemen
The moment you’ve all been waiting for ..
In this corner : weighing 325 pounds,
with a record of 8 infractions, 450 assaults, and 12 bannings,
the undisputed, most diabolic villain in the world :
Ark Angel!

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »