Author Topic: SHOW US YER MACHINE SHOP STUFF!  (Read 28072 times)

Offline GK1918

Re: SHOW US YER MACHINE SHOP STUFF!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 07:45:15 AM »
I dont know uncle buck, about my vise as my parts books vise looks identical.  While I am
here I have been trying to identify this drill press had for years belt driven all flat belts
three stage screw jack for table, about 7ft high#3 MT  no name numbers or anything.  Works
perfectly total silence not from overhead belt days maybe 1930s. Cant find anywhere anything
close atleast 1500lbs  more ridged than a boulder.      And my atlas vise 1930s grinder  sam

Offline GK1918

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
Shaper mill/drill attachment, my rotary with tail stock attachment, shaper lapper one of two
SB 9A 4.5' bed, heavy 20 GK, nice 1914 Robertson hack saw, three drill presses much more

Offline platypus20

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
Uncle Buck, suggested I post a few pictures of some of my small Atlas machine tools.

First is my Atlas horizontal bench mill (model MF), that I bought from my late FIL, the table power feed was broken, I have bought 3 more of the feeds and between all of them (each sold as in pristine condition), I have one that functions, not perfectly, but does work. I built a vertical head attachment, with a MT#2 spindle taper. I bought a MT#2 spindle for a Jet drill press and modified it to fit my needs. I made the main body out of a 2" socket weld tee. I made bearing pockets and made the arm flange to allow back and forth spindle traming, with shims. When the mill was in production, there were numerous vertical head attachments, all of them using the v-belt that changes direction, using the horizontal drive motor to drive the vertical head. The 90 degree v-belt was also used in the 60s by Chevrolet on the Corvair. With in limitations, the vertical head work fine. If some one is interested, I can get better pictures.

My FIL was the third owner, a small contractor in Conn, used it in sight manufacturing during the war, it was sold to a small machine shop in Rome, NY after the war, who use it in repair work to wire drawing dies, when the shop owner died, my FIL bought it from the estate auction. After his COPD and cancer treatment got too much for him to handle, he sold it to me.

THe second unit is a Atlas 7B metal shaper. I bought this from a New Holland tractor engineer's estate, in New Holland, Pa, all I did was bolt it to the base, it is almost perfect, only missing the belt guards. The engineer's son, who was not all there, had cleaned the garage and thinks he threw them away, along with the manual and some of the small attachments. It is functional and is a joy to watch in operation.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:55:48 PM by platypus20 »
jack

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »
Sweet Atlas tools!! Those tools built a lot of hobby projects in their day, and lucky were the guys that could afford them.

Offline platypus20

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
a few more pictures
jack

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »
I wanted Jack to post those slick vertical head conversion pictures for the benefit of other Atlas horizontal mill owners thinking about doing a vertical head themselves. Thank you for adding those Jack.  thumbsup2
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
Just a little no name metal lathe I got at a garage sale.   Has an adaptor on the end for turning armatures. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »
Just a little no name metal lathe I got at a garage sale.   Has an adaptor on the end for turning armatures.

I think that might be a Double AA lathe. I am going to find a link or pic to add so you can see.

Here you go, I found it.   http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page6.html

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:57:22 PM by Uncle Buck »

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
Wow Buck that's some nice stuff. First time I`ve seen this thread hidex
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 02:11:55 PM »
Wow Buck that's some nice stuff. First time I`ve seen this thread hidex

Oh my, you are kidding! My stuff is OK, but not like the guys that have better quality stuff than me. I will admit that it satisfies me for the most part.

Offline snakeoleo

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
Uncle Buck,

I'm brandy new here. Although I'm certainly not new to the world. I have owned a small Atlas like yours for several years and finally got around to dragging it down to the basement and getting it set up. I saw your vertical head attachment and have to say, I'm impressed with it.

I'd like to ask you a few questions about it if I may.

First, did you ever make up a set of plans for that head?

Did you use C5 bearings?

Did you make the spindle or cannibalize it from another piece of equipment, like maybe an old drill press?

Did you have to have the taper in the spindle reground so it ran true in the bearing once you had the head completed.

Thanks,
Rob

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:09:56 PM by Uncle Buck »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »
First, did you ever make up a set of plans for that head?  Actually, my original plans were very crude compared to what you see. I was taking a night class at the local vo-tech and when I shared with the instructor that I planned on making a vertical attachment for my machine he sort of high jacked my project, redrew the design and turned the project over for his advanced students to do on a Mazak CNC machining center. Honestly, initially my pride was a little bruised and I did not like the idea of his advanced class making the head when that was what I wanted to do.

However, fortunately I thought about it a little before shooting my mouth off and in the process shooting myself in the foot. I decided to find another project to do and let the teacher do as he planned with my vertical head you see here. First, only advanced students in his program were allowed on the Mazak. Part time night class hobbyists like myself were limited to using the manual machines so I could never have used the Mazak anyway. Second, I decided that if I just let them have at it the finished product would be better than whatever I would have made anyway and I would have the rest of my life to enjoy the quality finished product. I am glad that I wisely let the advanced students make the head, it turn out beautiful.

Did you use C5 bearings? LOL, the bearings were literally two massive bearings the instructor had setting in the shop. The bearings were huge, there is no way I could ever overheat or destroy them. No clue what they came from but they are huge and everything stays totally cool regardless the speed the spindle is running.

Did you make the spindle or cannibalize it from another piece of equipment, like maybe an old drill press?     The spindle like the body of the attachment was made on the Mazak. It has a MT #2  just like the aftermarket Marvin head attachment sold in the 1050's had. I have a set of seven MT#2 collets the largest being 1/2" dia.

Did you have to have the taper in the spindle reground so it ran true in the bearing once you had the head completed.
There were no worries about anything like that since it was all made brand new right out of the gate.

I have never reinstalled the horizontal overarm for use since mounting the vertical head although I could. The mill now has two motors, the one original to the machine that runs the table feed and of course works with the change gears on the machine. The second motor specifically runs the pulley driving the vertical head attachment and nothing else.

Ask any other questions you might have, sorry I do not have the original plans that the attachment was made to. 

Offline snakeoleo

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
Thanks, Buck. The head look like it was machined from aluminum. Is that the case?

When I was an apprentice we had one NC machine. That's what they were called back then, Numerical Control. Had a GE Mark Century controller that ran off a perforated tape. Since they were using NC equipment on the production floors of the plant, they wanted the apprentices to have experience with NC equipment. They would let Apprentices make the perf tape program for the machine as part of their training. They were still doing it when I started in the apprentice shop in '73. But while I was there and before I got to the mills section, one of the Apprentices forgot to put a stop command on the tape and the machine did a full table traverse and when it got to the end, it snapped the feed screw. That was the end of apprentices making tapes. After that, you simply got to install the tape and run the machine. Tool change was manual on the machine, which was a vertical mill. Had quick change tool holders so the apprentice put the piece in the fixture, put the right tool in the spindle and pushed the go buttone. Then changed the tool when the machine stopped for the next operation. The machine made copper gussets, which were connectors used in winding larger power generators for utility and industrial applications. I still have my gusset file for knocking off the big burrs.

I've looked at the vertical head sold now. I think it is $600 from My Machine. I struggle with that price. I really want a Bridgeport, but have no room in my shop at home and it is too big to bring into the basement. Just turned down a Jet Mill/Drill from a friend because even disassembled the pieces are man killers to move.

regards,
Rob

Offline platypus20

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »

I really want a Bridgeport, but have no room in my shop at home and it is too big to bring into the basement. Just turned down a Jet Mill/Drill from a friend because even disassembled the pieces are man killers to move.

regards,
Rob

I have a 1936 Bridgeport round arm milling machine that has a mill/drill head in place of the original M Head, the infamous Franken-Mill
jack

Offline snakeoleo

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
Wow, very nice, Pugs. Is this a commercial shop that you own. Or are you just a machine tool junky? I an only imagine the projects I'd come up with if I had all that at my disposal.

regards,
Rob

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »

Tags: