Author Topic: Air Dryer from an automotive AC condenser  (Read 2783 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Re: Air Dryer from an automotive AC condenser
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »
This morning it was down to between 140 and 145 psi, and it was cold so that pressure drop might just be temperature related.  Will see when I get home this afternoon.

Offline tool hunter

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »
cold= what 80 deg. hidex

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »
cold= what 80 deg. hidex

The night we did the initial hookup it was around 55 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit outside where the coil is.  The output side of the coil was cold to the touch while the input side was hot enough that the soapy water was sizzling on the compression fitting as we were trying to leak-check.

Offline tool hunter

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 05:38:31 PM »
With that much of a drop you should be getting most of the moisture out before it gets to the big tank I would think.
I need to do this to mine one of these days.

Offline Muddy

• Can use hammer
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »
Looks great

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »
With that much of a drop you should be getting most of the moisture out before it gets to the big tank I would think.

That's the hope.  The most expensive part of this were the fittings.  Compression fittings suck too.

Part of the reason this ended up like this is that I wanted the big tank's largest fitting to be the output from the tank to the system in the shop.  I figure my on-demand need for air is greater than my sustained need for air, so I ended up removing the in-tank check valve at the top and using that point for the exit, and then having new pressure introduced through the side port, which is quite a bit smaller, but still bigger than the original line that ran from the pump to the tank.  I probably should put a check-valve between the little tank and the big tank so that if the little tank, the coil, or the tubing/fittings leak then the big tank doesn't leak out the 80 gallons of air at over 150psi, but then I have to buy yet another inline check valve and even more compression fittings.

I'm mildly tempted to get another Moisture Minder automatic purge valve so the little tank has one too, but they're $80 a pop and that's quite a bit of money relative to how much I use my compressor.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:42 PM »
Checked it this afternoon it was up to 145psi even after the temp was up through the day.  So far so good.

At this point I should just use it hard and see if it has any problems or not.  Hopefully I won't hear an earth-shattering kaboom...

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
It was 140psi yesterday afternoon when I got home and worked on the truck a bit.  Cycled it a couple of times using the impact gun and airing up tires, didn't get the water I'm used to getting but didn't exactly stress it either.

We'll see, so far I'm cautiously optimistic.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
Over the past week and change I've used the compressor to rotate tires and today we used it to cut some thick aluminum sheet metal to make some spacers, used the angle grinder for the job.  Discharged enough air to keep the compressor running for quite a bit and didn't get any water out of the tool.

So far so good.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »

Tags: