Author Topic: 454 K10 Truck Resto  (Read 9820 times)

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
Re: 454 K10 Truck Resto
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
It's a SM465 three speed with low. The only other 4 speed they offered was the NP833, which is very rare in a 4wd trim, and is very light duty. The 465 is bomb proof.

And the engine is a 454 BB. th-smile the combo is decent. It pulls like a freight train.
"Play stupid games, you get stupid prizes."JJ

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
I can see it now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"Altec's Stump Pulling Services" :))
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
So, today I was informed by the better half that she was going to clean and watch a Netflix series today and I was to stay the hell away.  lolx 

I took the truck out to get lunch and decided to find out why my blower motor wasn't working. You can start from a few places but going by previous wiring issues I've had on this truck I decided to check the fuses. It was there! So next I just wrapped on the motor. Normally a bad motor will jump start if you smack it. That wasn't it. Broke out the test light and I'm not getting power to the relay for the high setting, or power to the resistor. Next step was to unscrew the head unit, and the problem became very clear.  lolx See the picture... After feeling around under the dash I found the harness and plugged it back in and the motor came to life! Even had all speeds! Though it has a dry bearing that will randomly rawr. No big deal, I'll just have to get a replacement.

At the same time I replace the motor I will hook up my vacuum ball and run the vacuum line for the HVAC. Right now I just have floor air blowing.

On another note I have been finding the "little things" that need to be addressed. Like, I don't have cup holders!  panicx I also only have low and high on my wipers. The intermittent wiper module seems to be shot. I also am noticing the wipers are a little slow. I imagine its a power or grounding issue. I'll figure it out, but for the time it works.

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
Been driving the truck some more, having fun with it. I felt pretty accomplished this morning when I drove it to work in rainy, cool fog. I had great headlights, great wipers, plenty of heat, and I could see my gauges!  lolx At one of the traffic lights that takes forever to change I went ahead and took a snap shot.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
Glad you had a successful trip.  Apparently your extensive planning and perfect execution are paying off thumbsup2 lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
Did a couple things today. I drove the truck into work and hooked up the speedometer cable. I can't believe it, but the speedo is reading about 2mph fast at 60mph. You couldn't ask for any closer. I'm very excited about that. But on the way home I ran into a problem. Not far from the house I had the truck stumble and die on me. I got it fired back up and got home. While I was trying to figure out what happened the truck stalled again. AFter some looking I realized I wasn't getting any fuel from the primary accelerator pump. Which meant the front bowl was empty. So I pulled the needle valve cartridge and didn't see anything funny. So I went ahead and pulled the bowl. Everything looked fine. Must of been a piece of trash in it. So I cleaned the torn gasket and replaced it, reset the float height using the method of holding the bowl upside down, and reassembled. Got the bowl primed and got it running. I left the sight plug out of the bowl and it was already set to the perfect "dribbling" height.

After that I played with the timing using the vacuum gauge method, and fiddled with the idle mixture screws as well. Really sharpened up the throttle response, but Ive got a valve that needs adjusted that was messing this my vacuum steadiness.

I also glued the mirror button on lol.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »
Amazing how much you know about carbs for your age.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
Amazing how much you know about carbs for your age.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Same thought was going through my mind also.  Upside down bowl method, dribbling hole, timing with a vacuum gauge,,,,,,,,,somebody was paying attention when he was young thumbsup2

Offline tool hunter

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Yeah that is stuff you only hear us old guys talk about while the scanner kids look at us like we have two heads. angryguyx

Offline Altec

• Super Hero
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »
Carburetors are simple. Its women that confuse me.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »

Women confuse all men. Any man that says otherwise is lying too!  ;)
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »

Women confuse all men. Any man that says otherwise is lying too!  ;)
Amen brothers!
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
I understand women just fine.  They are all bats**T crazy, can't be pleased, defy all logic and want you to talk about how your day went then tell you about their day in excruciating detail.  What's not to understand.   panicx

Offline scooterfish

• Bail out Studebaker
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
Dang Fhil that`s starting to make sense.  :groaner:
The thing I like about old cars/trucks is the extraordinary lack of plastic.

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
Just wit until you meet a woman that understands carburetors!
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »

Tags: