Author Topic: SmithBrite SB2 for stainless  (Read 1163 times)

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
SmithBrite SB2 for stainless
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:25:47 AM »
The firewall on the 34 is stainless, some areas are a bitch to get to, but always seen by me. Ya know what I mean grinx

Over the years Speedway sold a produced called Jewelers Rouge, when opened it smelled like mineral sprites. Had the consistency of water, the polish would separate and fall to the bottom. So one needed to shake it as used, really great stuff. Made stainless and alum pop, very easy to work with. Two ways applied, it quickly hazed, and easily removed without the residual seen using most of the metal polishes.

Because it was not hyped to death like we all know who, with a fancy bottle, Speedway dropped it. Damn that hurt, a great product, cost was nil 7 bucks 16oz, lasted a long time. Just shows how bull-shit drives sales, forget quality, it's the dancing girls folks will buy.

After using up what I had the search began, looked up Jewelers Rouge, though I found something . The look and general feel was the same, however two fails were obvious. First took longer to haze, and the biggest fail, had to wipe off the residual 3 -5 times, and still could run my finger across the surface and it would streak ........ thumbs down

Having a garage cabinet field day I spot a bottle of SmithBrite lurking. Wondering what is this forgotten gem, and the coupe apart for a major tune up. Popped it open, grabbed a sock, I use cotton athletic socks to polish all metals. Dabbed not lathered on and applied to the firewall....... In my best Arby's voice said, OH this is what I'm looking for perfect.

Two tips for anyone interested, the SmithBrite is very good, can cost 18 - 30 bucks for 8oz, found the best price on FleaBay
 Second want a good way to apply polish and remove it? Grab a pack of athletic white puffy socks. What would make this opinion have any value ......... if you ever try to polish a chrome spoke wheel it will become very clear in about two seconds.

To be fair Metal All is also very good, but reminds me of Simichrome. Much better value than the tube, in a can same in smell, color and a bit labor intensive

Metal polish review over

greg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:30:44 AM by pepi »
Living in a van, under a bridge, down by the river

Think about it ..........?

Offline platypus20

• Hunt and peck king
Re: SmithBrite SB2 for stainless
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
Greg,

One of the companies I used to work for, sold,  repaired and designed restaurant kitchen hoods, they were all stainless steel. After a repair, we had to grind and buff the hood out, so the repair didn't show. I have one of the Walter Abrasive Line-Master buffer/grinder, which make buffing a large area, a demanding job, I have no idea, what it would be like by hand.
jack

Offline krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • former beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »
+1 on the socks. Wear them like gloves and polish away!

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:53:06 PM »
Jack,

My job is easy keeping polished metal clean and shiny; to bring a scratched or raw piece to a mirror finish. I agree needs a power tool ...That thing you have will for sure get that job done, what a beast.

The very thought of hand buffing the same, gives me cramps in every muscle.

Mark,

The sock trick is a good one, spokes and rocker boxes made easy.  thumbsup2

greg
Living in a van, under a bridge, down by the river

Think about it ..........?

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:53:06 PM »

Tags: