Author Topic: Garden Shed  (Read 2068 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Re: Garden Shed
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
Your shed moving reminds me of this guy:  http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/ 

That sort of moving of heavy things is where I got the idea actually.

Dad was fairly nervous as we were doing the work, when we had finished he explained why.  Grandpa had an artificial leg from basically the knee down.  Apparently he lost his leg in an accident attempting to move a building about twice the size of this shed when he was around eighteen or so.  I had heard previously (and incorrectly) that it had been a combination harvester accident but nope, the building fell on him as they were trying to move it.  In one way it turned out to be a blessing, he was ineligible for the draft for the first world war and obviously the second, he would've been the right age to have had to serve in both if he hadn't been lamed.

Also Dad had spoken with one of the guys in a local car club that he's in, this guy works for the power company, and he said that it's not uncommon to move large power transformers in something like this fashion if the overhead stuff makes using a crane impossible.  They use actual railroad rails and wheels though, not my wood and black pipe trick.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
I've started on the conduit and wiring for the shed itself.

120V 20A service comes in to a GFCI component (without receptacles) through the footer and sill plate.  Interior lighting and receptacles are tied to line-side, no GFCI protection.  Exterior receptacles are tied to load side, getting GFCI protection and allowing them to be disabled at the GFCI device if necessary.  All components are on a single 20A breaker so that one neutral and one ground can do the job.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
Got the bulk of the electrical in.  At the moment it's temporarily fed from a 15A electrical outlet, once the water heater is moved then I'll have a 30A circuit to feed my subpanel for two separate circuits, one for the outside lighting and outlets on the wall, and one for the lighting and outlets as part of the shed.

The two receptacles on the wall are GFCI receptacles.

The two exterior receptacles on the shed are switched by a GFCI module low inside of the shed, in a doublegang box just up from the sillplate.  The interior receptacles and lights, and the exterior lights are not on GFCI.

I used a lightup switch for the interior of the shed, so that it's easier to find in the dark.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »
Spent the last two days paving.

The blocks are 2' by 2' by almost 2" thick.  They're about 90 pounds apiece.  We had to determine the elevation we wanted them set at, get sand, etc.  The shed is at an angle relative to the wall we used as a reference point, so we had to cut a bunch of blocks there.  We also had to raise the height of one of the sprinkler boxes, it looks like it had subsided somewhat since it was originally installed.

We had to grade some of the dirt, some was too high, a lot was too low.  Also had to buy about a ton of sand in two trips.

Today was the second day, we had to cut around the sprinkler box, the conduit and copper tubing, and the curved front.  That took a very, very long time.  Ended up rough-cutting with a masonry blade in Dad's 7-1/4" circular saw and then using a 4" angle grinder to finish the curves. 

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 12:23:00 AM »
Finished the main area pavers.  In total we have about 80sqft of shed, and about 200sqft of pavers.

I'll still need to go around the corner of the shed, and that will probably necessitate one more row of pavers on the main area, and possibly a second.  We'll see.  The grade of the dirt is getting very low there so if I don't get some dirt to build it up then I'll have to use a LOT of sand and I'd rather avoid that.

Also need to replace the temporary ramp with a permanent extension of the brick walkway over to the gardening area.  The current pitch of the ramp is far too steep but the temporary block is helping hold the sand down while we work in the area.  Once the ground is graded, the edge poured and mortared down, and the middle infilled it should help.

Last step will be to sand the whole thing in the seams to affix it all down better.

Online Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
That is looking really good!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
Thanks.  Hopefully it'll be as useful an area as we think it will be.  I've got a Husky workbench with hutch that I'm going to remove the pegboard from so it can sit between those two outlets on the wall, I'll mount a vise on it and it'll be the potting and general garden maintenance bench.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »
Looks good!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »