Author Topic: Garden Shed  (Read 881 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Re: Garden Shed
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
Your shed moving reminds me of this guy:  http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/ 

That sort of moving of heavy things is where I got the idea actually.

Dad was fairly nervous as we were doing the work, when we had finished he explained why.  Grandpa had an artificial leg from basically the knee down.  Apparently he lost his leg in an accident attempting to move a building about twice the size of this shed when he was around eighteen or so.  I had heard previously (and incorrectly) that it had been a combination harvester accident but nope, the building fell on him as they were trying to move it.  In one way it turned out to be a blessing, he was ineligible for the draft for the first world war and obviously the second, he would've been the right age to have had to serve in both if he hadn't been lamed.

Also Dad had spoken with one of the guys in a local car club that he's in, this guy works for the power company, and he said that it's not uncommon to move large power transformers in something like this fashion if the overhead stuff makes using a crane impossible.  They use actual railroad rails and wheels though, not my wood and black pipe trick.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
I've started on the conduit and wiring for the shed itself.

120V 20A service comes in to a GFCI component (without receptacles) through the footer and sill plate.  Interior lighting and receptacles are tied to line-side, no GFCI protection.  Exterior receptacles are tied to load side, getting GFCI protection and allowing them to be disabled at the GFCI device if necessary.  All components are on a single 20A breaker so that one neutral and one ground can do the job.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
Got the bulk of the electrical in.  At the moment it's temporarily fed from a 15A electrical outlet, once the water heater is moved then I'll have a 30A circuit to feed my subpanel for two separate circuits, one for the outside lighting and outlets on the wall, and one for the lighting and outlets as part of the shed.

The two receptacles on the wall are GFCI receptacles.

The two exterior receptacles on the shed are switched by a GFCI module low inside of the shed, in a doublegang box just up from the sillplate.  The interior receptacles and lights, and the exterior lights are not on GFCI.

I used a lightup switch for the interior of the shed, so that it's easier to find in the dark.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »