Author Topic: Water Heater  (Read 523 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Water Heater
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »
We're getting ready to do the water heater move.  I've got hot and cold copper pipe roughed-in and ready to be connected in the attic and at the new location outside next to the bathroom, and I've got the plan in my head for the rooflet and door to enclose it.

A friend of mine has given us a never-used, new-old-stock 40 gallon Reliance 501 water heater.  It's a "low boy" form factor, 24" diameter, 32" tall.  He bought it in 1994 for his shop but never ended up putting hot water in.  I'm attempting to figure out what kind of anode it came with so  I can supplement it with one on the hot water side, and I figure I should probably replace the plastic drain valve with something metal, and I should see if I can find a dip tube that has a curve on the end to help with sediment build up a bit.

Any other suggestions, or does anyone know how to find out the kind of anode that it has inside?

Thanks.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: Water Heater
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
If it was never used I would just install it and call it good. Ya, swap the plastic drain valve with a brass one, make sure and use a pop off valve on it and anything you need to know about the anode just call the manufacturer and ask their tech support folks.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »
I always replace the drains with a full opening ball valve.  I've got really crappy water and usually pull the anode before it gets installed. If you don't pull the anode it will stink like crap everytime the hot water gets turned on. yank the anode and the smell goes away.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
Our water doesn't smell, but the old water heater that is being retired when this new location gets put into service was only replaced about six years ago and I've already had to replace the rotted-away lower element and it's already showing signs of seepage and rust.  I've read that increasing the number of anodes can help with service life.  I haven't checked if the current unit's anode because I don't know if I can get it out because of where the water heater is positioned.

Long-term I may use this lowboy unit in place of the other water heater, the one for the kitchen and shop.  The other one has no space problems, the 17" diameter unit can be replaced by a 24" unit without difficulty.  The other one is similar to the one that was replaced six years ago and the current one that is on the verge of failing.  I'll probably need a bigger one in the new location anyway, but it's hard to argue with a free water heater.

We have very hard water and a water softener.  I'm surprised that the one for the kitchen hasn't given us the problems that the one for the bathrooms has.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:49:32 PM »
Our water doesn't smell, but the old water heater that is being retired when this new location gets put into service was only replaced about six years ago and I've already had to replace the rotted-away lower element and it's already showing signs of seepage and rust.  I've read that increasing the number of anodes can help with service life.  I haven't checked if the current unit's anode because I don't know if I can get it out because of where the water heater is positioned.

Long-term I may use this lowboy unit in place of the other water heater, the one for the kitchen and shop.  The other one has no space problems, the 17" diameter unit can be replaced by a 24" unit without difficulty.  The other one is similar to the one that was replaced six years ago and the current one that is on the verge of failing.  I'll probably need a bigger one in the new location anyway, but it's hard to argue with a free water heater.

We have very hard water and a water softener.  I'm surprised that the one for the kitchen hasn't given us the problems that the one for the bathrooms has.

Given your water quality issues I would have to agree you probably should look into the anode issue. I have read the same thing you did I think. I am going to see if I can find the link it was like the last word on extending the life of water heaters. See below.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/general/water-heater-welcome-page.html
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:49:32 PM »

Tags: