Author Topic: Calling rvannatta  (Read 430 times)

Offline Muddy

• Can use hammer
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
Calling rvannatta
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:52:08 AM »
How do they load and unload the back half of the trailer on to the tractor? I'm assuming the crane they use to load the logs?

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
Re: Calling rvannatta
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
Piccy no worky for me on my puter or phone device lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline walrus

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:10:56 AM »
Yes, loader picks trailer off and sets on ground. Used to see these rigs all the time at one mill in maine. No more though
I swear their ain't no heaven but I pray their ain't no hell

Online rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
That is pretty straight forward:

every trailer has a lifting loop at the center of balance,  every sawmill for delivery place for logs  has  what they creatively call a "trailer loader" consisting of an electric hoist  on a frame such as the one
shown  here.

In the "good old days'   what you might call the tongue, but what is really called  a "reach" was made out of wood  which is why it isular. recangular.     Note the 'reach grab'  on the trailer loader.   as the trailer
gets up in the air,  it holds the reach so the trailer can't turn crossways on you   when it's so high you can't reach it.     You run the trailer way up in the air.  back the truck under it and lower it.   You can do
it all by yourself in a few minutes.

The trailer is steered,  in that the trailer is pulled along by the logs, when loaded,  but the tail swing on the trucks swings the trailer to keep it behind you on crooked roads.

the unloading is accomplished as you suspect with the log loader  which is why you don't see a lot of trailers loaded in the South--- the trees are smaller and many loaders are too small to
lift the trailers.---- here we don't buy loaders ---typically modified execavators--- that aren't big enough to lift a trailer.

Offline Muddy

• Can use hammer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
Figured it was simple. But you explained it very well!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Muddy

• Can use hammer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
Piccy no worky for me on my puter or phone device lolx
No big deal just a pic of a log trailer loaded I stole of the interweb

Offline Rural53

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
Here in NZ we have electric gantries like Robert showed at the bigger unloading locations, otherwise what ever is unloading the truck lifts the trailer on.

For loading we tend to use excavators big enough to lift trailers.

The loader above is not a typical style loader here, they are more like this...

Note that this style of loader doesn't have a heel like the one Robert posted, although that style is also used in NZ.

edit:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:00:23 PM by Rural53 »
Anything that converts hydrocarbons to noise is good in my books.  http://www.youtube.com/user/Rural53NZ

Offline Rural53

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
Unrelated, but the Christmas park up picture of one of the big local logging truck operators.

Anything that converts hydrocarbons to noise is good in my books.  http://www.youtube.com/user/Rural53NZ

Offline Muddy

• Can use hammer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
Whoa! Never seen a excavator with a setup like that CAT!

Online rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
Figured it was simple. But you explained it very well!

The typical 2 axle trailer shown here weighs around 6000 lbs. which is within the range of what a large log might weigh.    When you  heel them, of course, the leverage is against the  loader,  but it keeps
the log from swinging out of control.   with shorter/smaller logs as shown in New Zealand the heel rack is unneeded as the  rotate function on the grapple is sufficinet to control the log and when you
are making multiple stacks on a truck you need  to load over the side  that the heel function really only works  from the end of the truck without a pain.

This is an older   cable style log loader also known  as  a heel boom loader.

The machine is pretty much a traditional  cable crane  with a special boom.    the special boom  fits on just like the standard   'shovel front'  or lattice boom.   ---at the outer end you see the end sticks
straight up---  This is called the 'grapple riser'.   the point  of that is,  that the pullies  (Blocks to a logger)  are in the top of the 'riser.'    The grapples tend to be fairly long,  and with the  head block elevated
above the boom you can raise part or all of the grapple up in front of the front end of the boom--  the back end of the log will  'heel' under the more or less horizontal part of the boom and   you can use either
hand set tongs (with one cable),   or   cable tongs (with 2 cables) to grab the log  about 10 feet from the end--- then when you lift the near end will come up first and wedge against the bottom
of the boom and as you keep pulling the lifting cable, the other end of the log will rise, and you an swing  having the log under pretty good control.     But if you want a challege with the cable machine
try and operate it  when the machine is  off level'  as is likely in hilly terrain.....

Hint----with a cable crane-- the swing is friction drive......  and when you let go of the lever the swing usually stops,  but if you are off level--- the  heavy end swings down---- usually the counterweight end..

this is a dedicated  logging machine that could be used either as a yarder or a loader.

Offline Muddy

• Can use hammer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
Love learning about these big machines!  thumbsup2

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Great photos, and I can almost hear the "talkie tooter".
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
On the NZ Cat loader, is the cab also raised and lowered or am I looking at it wrong?   Very interesting big machines. 

Offline Rural53

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
Yes it does, for better visibility.

Online rvannatta

• Super Hero
    • Van Natta Forestry
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
Great photos, and I can almost hear the "talkie tooter".

Indeed a lot of wood over the years have been moved with  cable machines such as the  Washington TL-6 as shown in the last photo.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »

Tags: