Author Topic: my new toy.  (Read 16832 times)

Offline mustanggarage

Re: my new toy.
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:02 PM »
ok  I have been working a lot and had a few small issues. I had to cancel my dyno session and I have not rescheduled it yet.  it turns out when the transmission crapped out I must have got some trash in the governor because I was having some shifting issues.  I tried everything I could think of to fix it.  finally had to replace the governor.  it is now working.  tonight I made one more small adjustment to the t-v cable and it feels like it is shifting like I want it to now.  I had to adjust the idle a bit more also. I took it for a nice long drive and it feels good.  it has really good seat of the pants acceleration, the transmission shifts strong but not too violently.  it idles good, no surging or anything.  overall it feels great.  the check engine light is coming on.  I took it to a guy here in town that I have had work on my truck a few times.  he is really good with fuel injection.  he says that it is just needing the computer tuned but it is running fine.  the check engine light goes off when you shut it off and comes back on after about 15 minutes.  but it is not reading lean or anything so I think I will drive it a bit more, change the oil when I get it to 100 miles and then try to find time to get it to the dyno. 

I bought some new carpet for the trunk.  the old stuff was looking almost as bad as the front did before I replaced it.

I got this bag from Ron Bramlett of mustangs plus.  He and his family are really great people.  I met them at a car show in Utah several years ago and have kept in touch ever since.  He heard that I could not go on the 50th anniversary pony cruise he was helping to organize, because of work,  so He sent me one of the goody bags.  I will use it for organizing cleaning supplies.  it is perfect, you can even fit a california duster in there.

and on a side note I got a new garage buddy a couple weeks ago.  one of my friends at work wanted to find a home for him because he kept eating her chickens lol.  so now he is my constant shadow.  He is a 7 month old AKC registered German shepherd pup named Ozzie.  short for Mister Royal Osborne.  My friends are fanatic Nebraska cornhusker fans lol.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:14 AM »
Gorgeous dog! Nice big paws.

(btw, I have those same shoes)
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »
Gorgeous dog! Nice big paws.

(btw, I have those same shoes)

thanks.  he is my buddy. 

I have my dyno time scheduled for the 8th of june.  it will be the first weekend I can get away to do it.  3 months I have been waiting.  man most days I like my job and don't mind being tied to my little town.  I have my shop and UPS  I don't really need to go anywhere very often, but when something like this comes up it reminds me how restricted I am.  anyway I have it scheduled and unless something else unfortunate happens I will get it done then. 

in the mean time I can't just sit around and do nothing so I put some new door panels on it.  I am slowly changing the interior from grey to black which is a very popular trend in foxbodies now.

and just for fun I added some LED door lights that put a mustang symbol on the ground when you open the door.  yeah it's kind of ricey but I like stuff like that sometimes and this car is just for fun.

I also found a perfect set of black 90 rear interior quarters with the window switch in them on ebay, I have never seen any in this good of shape before so I bid on them in the last 20 seconds of the auction.  I was so excitable I missed the stupid period so I ended up bidding 3500.00 instead of 350.00  fortunately it did not go anywhere close to that and I got it for less than I was willing to pay.  I think that is the last thing I am going to change on the interior, I want to keep the dash and center console two toned black and grey, I like the contrast.  anyway I don't know when I will put the quarters in but probably not until after the dyno session.   I do want it done before the car show here in town in august.  I know this car will not win any trophys, there is no separate class for fox body,s all the mustangs get dumped in the same class so the classics always win the class as they should.  but I still want it to look good.  and i may make it over to one of the all mustang shows nearby this summer where it will probably do better.  it still has that 50 foot paint job but the rest of the car is looking really good now.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2015, 02:08:37 AM »
more fun fixing stuff I did not want to have to fix this weekend.  I was hoping to get this thing all buttoned up by this weekend so I could just drive it for awhile.  So I was working on swapping the interior quarter panels I had it pretty much swapped out when I decided to test the rear windows.  they had always worked before, admittedly they were kind of jerky but they always went up and down, but when I tried to roll them up the drivers side started skipping and popping and the passenger side moved a bit and then stopped.  I could not figure out how swapping the quarter panels could have affected the windows but I pulled them back out again and checked things over.  they still wouldn't work so I pulled the motors off and sure as heck both of them were skipping and the passenger side would hardly work at all so now it looks like I am going to get to swap those out. I have no idea why they decided to go out now unless it had to do with having the quarter panels off and allowing more dust and crap to get in.  but anyway since I am going to fix that I put the quarter panel swap on hold and decided to do a complete rebuild on the quarter windows so I bought the kit from late model resto

and I also bought some 1990 style black seat belts off ebay to go with the new quarter panels  they will work a lot better than mine currently do with the new quarter panels and they are currently grey so they should look better too.  it is a serious pain in the but to get the window regulator out but I got the drivers side apart last night and cleaned it really well.

at first it would hardly move but after I got it cleaned up it slides much better.  I also had to sand down the rails on the regulator because they were rough for some reason and the regulator kept binding there.  anyway this one works much better.

I will lubricate them with some lithium grease when I get ready to reinstall everything.  there is a pretty decent video on the late model resto site that details how to do this, but I am still only going to take one side apart at a time.  I also found that the rear quarter window switches are different of course, but the terminal connectors are the same so I was able to pop the terminals out of the old switch and into the new one without cutting and splicing.  of note the old switch has six lugs on it and the new one only had 5 so I am going to have to spend some time once I get everything back together making sure I get that switch wired up correctly.

and finally the speakers in the 89 are round and the 90 are oval so I ordered some new rockford fosgate speakers to go in there and I repainted the speaker grills because they were kind of scuffed up.

then of course my oldest daughter who just won a gold medal in the special olympics wanted to sleep out in the garage with the dogs.  she likes to do that, the garage is set up basically like a house so it is one of the few times she gets to feel independant.  well anyway my oldest dog was getting upset because of the thunder so she decided to lock him in the bathroom.  today I found a hole right through the wall next to the door where the dog clawed his way right through the sheetrock and out the other side.  I came in and saw him laying on a blanket in the corner looking sheepish and surrounded by sheetrock dust.  so today I got to fix that, yeah.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2015, 02:11:03 AM »
got the sheetrock and pegboard and insulation replaced on the bathroom last saturday.  and put the first coat of joint compound on.   I spent some time looking over the windows.  the regulators were just really gunked up.  that is doubtless why the motors finally gave up.  just too much effort required to move them up and down, and while it is easy to replace the motors getting the regulators out is a bit more difficult.  I just took the drivers side out so far in this picture.  here is a pic of what it looks like.

in reading up on these fox body windows I learned that the plastic window guide rod mount commonly breaks and the window bushings frequently go bad so I decided to fix everything at once rather than have to tear it down again later.  my guide rod mounts are not broken at present.

but it is obviously a lot easier to get them out with the regulator out of the way It would be possible to replace it without removing the regulator, but I think the main thing my car needs is to have those stupid regulators cleaned and lubricated. while I have that apart I will replace the bushings and clean everything up nicely.  I also learned by watching the video on late model restoration how to adjust the rear windows.  they always were out of adjustment, but I thought it was the door that was out of adjustment.  anyway I will try to take some more pictures of the process once I get my parts.  I hope to at least have the windows back together before I have to take it to the dyno shop friday.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2015, 02:12:00 AM »
the last few days I have worked pretty hard on the car.  after getting off work I stayed up late working on the car.  my shop is very nice for that I have plenty of lighting etc.  so I can basically work whenever I have time.  well I needed to take the car to the dyno shop today and I did not want to have to reschedule again so I  worked on it all night last night.  finally laid down on the couch out here at about 5:00 this morning.  it is not done yet but it is back together enough to go to the dyno shop.  I can finish the speaker install and work on that passenger rear window switch when I get it back.

ok.  here is a brief rundown on what i have done since my last installment.

I mocked up the front seat belt install and studied the rear seatbelt installation.  I decided it was possible to swap in the 90 rear seatbelts so I started on that.

first the way these seatbelts work is they install behind the rear seat and run up behind seat brace between the top well liner and the rear seat.  in order to install them this area needed to be modified a bit.

those two flanges needed to be cut and bent out of the way in order to mount the seatbelt as far laterally as possible

then if you look closely you can see I drilled a hole for a 3/8 bolt into that brace behind the seat.  I reinforced it by placing a large washer that came in another seatbelt install kit I had under the cross brace.  I welded the bolt to that washer and bent up one edge to match the shape of the brace.  that way it slid up under there and locked it self in place.  it made it easier to tighten the nut down.  I used a large washer and lock washer to finish it up.  then the plastic sheath stuck up too high above the back seat and it caught when I tried to lower the seat.  since the seat fits in this area there was enough space so I used a heat gun to heat up the plastic and allow the sheath to bend forward to contour along the top of the seat.  it worked fine.

during this experiment I figured out why my top always went up and down crooked, and would not retract without pushing up on the top with my hand to get it started.  it seems the little bracket that holds the passenger side hydraulic cylinder in place was missing.  so I contacted prestige mustang and they overnighted me a replacement.  my top now works better than it ever has.

ok.  after getting that part figured out my window motors arrived and last night I worked all night on finishing that install.

first you have to remove these two nuts.  I found out later it is also much easier if you remove the two nuts that hold the window to the guide rod and remove them seperately.

then you drill out the rivets and install the new billet guide rod support.  and re install it.  again it is easier if you remove the window, then you can install the guide rod and the bracket in one step.  I figured that out for the second side.

then I replaced the plastic bushings on the window support and re installed the window.  btw you need to leave those two nuts on the guide rod loose so you can adjust the window.

after that you finagle the regulator back in place, raise the window, adjust the position tighten the nuts.

then you swap the brackets from the old motors to the new ones and install them.  run the window up and down several times and adjust the window.  this took me quite a while.  but once I was finally satisfied with the way the window worked I installed the new seat belts and the quarter panel.  then discovered that the styling bar would not go in because the seat belt bracket needed to be modified.  once I got that modified I installed the quarter panels loosely, installed the styling bar.

then since it was so late I decided to just button it up for now and finish the details later.  I put the seat back in and put the speaker grills back on. took a couple pictures

and wiped the dust off the car and loaded it on the trailer.  then I laid down for a couple hours on the couch and drove to des moines.  and dropped it off at the dyno shop.  finally after wanting to do that for about 3 months I finally got it over there.  so now I wait for him to get it tuned and I will go pick it up tuesday.  I can finish the rest of it up anytime.  I now need to get a new tonneau cover for it as well.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2015, 02:55:32 AM »
WOW, you get more done in a day than I do in a week. Good work.
Congrats to the daughter on her Gold medal! You must be pretty proud.  thumbsup2
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
 huhwtw
WOW, you get more done in a day than I do in a week. Good work.
Congrats to the daughter on her Gold medal! You must be pretty proud.  thumbsup2

thanks  we are really proud of her.  and she was accepted to a local community college so she will be starting there pretty soon.  we are really nervous about that. she has had some maturity issues so we have not really allowed her to take care of herself much.  we have pretty much mother henned her her whole life so we are trying to give her a little bit more responsiblity gradually before we just let her go 3 hours away where we can't look after her.  pretty terrifying overall.

on another note, I finally got the car over to the tuner and got the chip in it so it is running great.  if I get on it a little to hard it squeals the tires when it shifts to second.  I have never had an automatic car do that before lol.  it is a blast to drive.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
 Darn,,,,,,,,,,,,someone has been busy!!  Looking good and I'm glad its a blast to drive.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »
I started working on my 89 convertible again this week.  I have had it parked over the winter, I drove it some last year but not as much as I should, I just have too many fun cars to drive so I always drive the car I am working on.  I did a lot of work on my 94 last year so I drove it more, then I have been working on the jeep a lot too.  I need to update that thread some as well I guess.  But I have started on the 89 this weekend and thought I would give a little update to this thread. Ffirst the heater core was leaking after I put the new engine in so I just bypassed it and it has been that way ever since.  in order to replace the heater core you have to pull the whole dash and it is best to disconnect the AC  so I had to take that to my good buddy Rick's place and have them do that job.  I also had a leak in my AC system which I had them fix.  so now the HVAC system works.  unfortunately now my gauges are wonky.  my oil pressure gauge is not reading, and my temp gauge is only going up to about 140 so I assumed there was a connection issue in the gauges.  so I pulled all that out and could not get it to work right.  I don't know maybe there is a kinked sending wire.  anyway while I had it out I cleaned it up a bit and put in some LED bulbs.  I still don't like it, I want some white face gauges.  and since I am going to be putting the supercharger in I want some real gauges to keep track of things.  The stock ones are never very accurate so after piddle farting around for hours trying to put white face gauge stickers on, and get the stupid LED bulbs to work and trying to get the oil pressure gauge to read I said to heck with it and ordered what I really wanted a nice new set of autometer gauges with an aftermarket pod that will replace the entire gauge set.  I am not sure if I want to do that before, or after the supercharger install.  anyway it is on the way and it cost a small fortune so it is getting done. oh and while I had it out I installed a boost gauge for when the supercharger is installed.

next I really like the sound of my flowmaster exhaust in my 65, but in this convertible it has a really annoying harmonic that just kind of grated on me.  I love the sound my magnaflows make on the 94 however so I bought a set of magnaflow mufflers to swap in and replace the flowmasters in my american thunder cat back exhaust system...  yeah right, like anything I do is ever that easy.  as it turns out the american thunder cat back system has a small piece of exhaust pipe that comes out of the muffler to connect to the tail pipe. 

and yes, I forgot that little fact when I bought my new stainless steel magnaflows, and no my new magnaflows donot have that.  so I found what I thought was the perfect solution.  these pypes intermediate tubes.

they look like exactly what I need,  again not so fast.  they are about 2 inches too short to fit, so after struggling for quite a while dropping the muffler on my head and getting two pretty nice gauges in my forehead where the muffler clamp hit me, I went to oreillys and got some 2 1/2 id to 2 1/2 od adapters.  a couple more exhaust clamps and some universal exhaust hangers and I got it bolted up.  not exactly beautiful so I tried to avoid that area in the picture lol.

[COLOR="black"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="5"]but it sounds awesome[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR], and that little extra extension allowed me the flexibility I did not have before and I got rid of an annoying rattle that had plagued me.  now I am just waiting for my supercharger to get here.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »
so I am going to install a vortech si trim supercharger on this car.  it will run about 8-10 pounds of boost.  I am in the process of calculating what size fuel injectors I will need.  anybody want to make a suggestion.  this fuel injection stuff is kind of new to me.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »
I vote blower sticking out the hood with dual 4's th-bounce
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
Unless you find a page on the fuel injector use,  I would try it with stock injectors.   Hate to find out that a lot of money was spent for little return. 

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2017, 11:47:47 PM »
ok.  well I have a bit of progress to report.  but unfortunately I have not had much time or motivation this week. so first you have to remove the battery and battery box, then the fan and shroud.  then the alternator and its bracket.  I already deleted the smog pump.

then you have to move the charcoal canister by angling it and attaching it with one bolt like this.

then since this is an SI trim unit it comes with a new lower pulley. 

I don't have a good picture of it, but since I deleted the smog pump you have to install this air pump delete pulley in its place in the supercharger mounting bracket.  everything is loosely installed here.

if you can see that bolt sticking through from the back with the nut on it you will probably think that might be a problem.  the instructions make it look like that is the way it goes, but that bolt protrudes through to far and it is too close the belt for my comfort.  of course I decided that after i had it all together and the fan and everything back in.  like I do a lot of times I end up doing things 3 or 4 times till I get it right.  so anyway I had to pull everything back out and put the bolt through from the front.  and of course getting everything lined up and back together was even harder this time lol  but I got it back together.  since I am going to be increasing the air in significantly I need to increase the fuel also so I have the FMU installed, but I need to recalibrate it for the new 47 pound fuel injectors I installed.  of course installing those requires removing the intake manifold.

once I got all that done.  i discovered that my air pump delete pulley was interfering with bolting up the supercharger.  so I had to massage it a bit.

and finally the supercharger is sitting in it's new home. 

I also had to send the MAF meter back to Pro M racing to have it recalibrated for the new 47 pound injectors and the relocation to behind the air filter.  I will have to wait to get that back before I can do much more.  because the air filter assembly and intake have to go on before the discharge tubing.  tomorrow I will try to get the MSD ignition box hooked up.  anyway slow progress.

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:15 PM »
Unless you find a page on the fuel injector use,  I would try it with stock injectors.   Hate to find out that a lot of money was spent for little return.

I contacted vortec first to ask them what they suggested.  they said that all their stuff is set up for stock engines and since I have this 331 stroker in here they suggested I contact the tuner.  so I called the guy that has the dyno tuning company I used last time.  he said to go with 47 pound injectors.  so now I just have to get everything to work with the new ford racing 47 pound injectors.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:15 PM »

Tags: