Author Topic: My Apologies  (Read 97139 times)

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
My Apologies
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »
My apologies to the forum for being out of the loop the last few days!
First off, I have been having connectivity issues with the internet at home, and still haven't got that sorted out.

Second is a sorta long story---

My younger son is heavily involved in Ghostbusters Fandom. He has constructed a 95% accurate Ghostbusters getup, including the Proton Pack, Plasma Gun, etc. He is the one on the right in this photo.

He and his group have their own website and are connected to a large fanbase around the world. They just returned from a convention in San Antonio where they were given a booth free due to their drawing power. My son has met with Dan Akroyd, and Dan signed his pack!

Forward to this morning-
Patrick bid on and won a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville Hearse on Ebay, and we went to Huntsville to get it this morning. He and his buddies will build an Ecto with it. Car runs and is in pretty good shape, will only need a little bodywork.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Bonneville-1963-PONTIAC-HEARSE-/220624420616?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item335e3d7f08

Nice trip up there, about 100 miles. Arrived and my GMC truck dumped the transmission right there! No go at all!
It gets worse- I called a nephew to come get us, so while we waited, we tried to put the hearse on our trailer- WON'T FIT!!!! Too damn wide.
So, we thought we'd put the pick up on the trailer- NO FIT!! Too wide!
So, we ended up dragging an empty trailer back home, leaving the hearse and my truck 100 miles from home. Will be next weekend before we can return. Both are in a safe place.
    Tool Talk
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline pipehack

Re: My Apologies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »
Oh man... When it rains it pours. I feel for you PawPaw.. Interesting hobby your kid has. I'm a big star Wars geek myself. My favorite character is Boba Fett. I'm into the beat up/rat outfit he wears. I'd get a costume if I could swing the cost.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor.... And surviving.

Online Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »
Sounds like the kind of luck I usually have.  I couldn't view the car, the auction is over. But you know the drill, more pics please.
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Offline thefirstlady

• resident artist & yogini!
    • My Art Website
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »
Oh man... When it rains it pours. I feel for you PawPaw.. Interesting hobby your kid has. I'm a big star Wars geek myself. My favorite character is Boba Fett. I'm into the beat up/rat outfit he wears. I'd get a costume if I could swing the cost.

I am too.  Love boba fett....gotta post this just for you then...
FETT'S VETTE (my backpack's got jets)
Illegitimus non carborundum.

My art website! http://www.artbymorganjc.com

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
I took several photos, but since I got home just about time to leave for work, I neglected to put the cable in the bag with the camera, so I can't upload them to this computer. Will do in the AM.
    Tool Talk
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline wilbilt

• Trailer Trash
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »
Sounds like the kind of luck I usually have.  I couldn't view the car, the auction is over. But you know the drill, more pics please.

I saw the auction pics. Very nice ride. I had not seen a Pontiac hearse before.
There used to be a bunch of Pontiac ambulances sitting in a field near here, but they are long gone. They were newer, though. Late 60s-early 70's.

One of my favorite dialogs:

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
    Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "good/bad" thing here. What do you mean, "bad"?
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
    Dr. Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: That's bad. Okay. All right, important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.
-- Garageless in Northern California since 1985

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
Will, you and my son would get along nicely! He spouts those quotes quite often.
This hearse was built by Supreme, one of only 123 made. My son did his research and found two previous owners and lots of info on this very hearse. It has been around quite a bit, and he is lucky that it has never been hacked up, chopped, ratrodded, etc. All the glass is good, all the trim there except for the emblem on the front between the grilles, all four head lights in good shape, etc. Runs smoothly, very quiet, and the 2-speed tranny is good.
    Tool Talk

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 11:00:59 PM »
Papaw, it looks like your son got quite a deal.  An all original running and driving fifty year old hearse for $2,000....that's hard to beat!   ;)
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

We'll see you on the road like we saw the Nightrider!

We remember the Nightrider! And we know who you are, Bronze!

Offline wilbilt

• Trailer Trash
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:05:23 PM »
Being a 1963, I wonder if that tranny is the old cast-iron Powerglide or the newer aluminum version.
-- Garageless in Northern California since 1985

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:07:25 PM »
His wife had given him two restrictions, $2000 limit and it had to live at my house! I told him to bid up to $2500 and I'd cover. He bid $2100 at about 20 seconds to go and won it for $2025.
I think he stole it at that price. Of course he wanted a "59 Caddy hearse to be more correct, but those are scarce and very high dollar now.
I didn't crawl under it- I am too wide!
If it tells you anything, the selector has Reverse at the right, then 1, 2(D), then Park, NOT PRNDL.

P  2(d)  1  R

ETA- I forgot N for neutral! Don't remember where it is.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:01:58 AM by Papaw »
    Tool Talk

• ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »
I would guess a '59 Caddy Hearse in the shape of the Pontiac would fetch around 20 grand.   :-\
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I've seen some in that range, some in lots worse condition, and some even higher.
    Tool Talk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • Location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 11:13:48 PM »
Papaw sorry to hear of your frustrations. I hope the next chapter goes much better.

I like that your son got that gem.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

• ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
btw, I don't know if he has any hearses, but Junkman over on GJ does have an old ambulance from what I remember.

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »
I'll get a real car hauler and go get them toward the end of the week, might have to make two trips, but I'll get it done.
Now to find my tranny guy, or someone local to overhaul the GMC unit.
    Tool Talk

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »