Author Topic: Snap-on's new policy for warranty return's.  (Read 2293 times)

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
Re: Snap-on's new policy for warranty return's.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »

Snap-on UK Screwdrivers Warranty
Snap-on UK Sockets Warranty

Seriously.. no-no both those douche-nozzles.  i had a dealer try and get all metallurgical and teachy on me before. no-no that. I know what a damn prybar is. Sometimes you need to get a screwdriver in there.. or its all you have that'll fit.. Same goes for chrome sockets on impacts. I got impacts too.. but theyre too thick for clearance sometimes. You got to get the job done, not wait a week for the snappy dick to show up so you can "increase your payments".

Just stick a new blade in the handle and no-no off. Thats why i paid $150 for the set.
ambitious but rubbish

Offline Wantedabiggergarage

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
I would say probably 1/4 to 1/3 of my Snap on is from gifts.  (birthday requests no receipt)  A couple of pieces are from inheritances (family and a friend).  A few years back, we called and they sent a box and we shipped probably 20 items back because we didn't have a driver and hadn't for some time.  Now they are going off and pulling this stuff?  I can pull out non readable thermal paper, and I guess we better start bothering our drivers to eliminate that thermal paper.  Also when he pushes used or repossessed tools I guess the deals better improve, since they no longer have a warranty.  Like I have said, I knew there were going to be problems with this and there is still a few things I want to buy, but that list is shrinking.
Well, I guess a rule disallows, my use of a Dennis Leary song as my signature, LOL.

Offline K5blazer83

• I do what I like and I like what I do
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 04:25:39 AM »
Here's the warranty page from the new catalog.

I think it tip-toes around the warranty carefully. "Proof of purchase" and "original purchaser" are used interchangeably.

I can agree with Snap-On if their issue is with people sending buckets of broken tools or bringing them to the truck for warranty....that's wrong no matter how you slice it. But if you buy one ratchet from say somebody like fatfillup and it breaks or whatever the case..that's different.
"I sell the heck out of oil leaks on Jeeps though. You'd think the Exxon Valdez crashed into my toolbox and spilled all over my floor... "

Me: I'm domesticated!
Phil: So that means you carry a spoon?

Offline bobbyjim

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »
I started buying Snap On Tools almost 40 years ago. No longer working and am retired at 65. I saw the light some years ago when I tried to track down a Snap On Dealer. And the only dealer I ever see around here refuses to warranty tools unless your a customer of his.

So I haven't bought a Snap On tool in years and have been slowly selling off my Snap On Tools. I have always had at least 2-3 sets of sockets and wrenches and tools. Snap On or Mac for work and cheaper tools for the home box.  Now a days old American tools are cheap at yard sales and Craftsmans or even Taiwan works just fine for me. 

Worked years ago at a VW/Mercedes Dealership. The 2 top earning mechanics, both brothers from Germany didn't own a single Snap On or MAC tool or tool box. The only thing they bought was Craftsman and laughed at all of use for spending money on over priced Snap On.

Considering that 40 years ago I could buy a Snap On tool for $5.00 that would now cost $40.00 I am have been unloading them for a nice profit.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »
.........Now a days old American tools are cheap at yard sales and Craftsmans or even Taiwan works just fine for me. 

Worked years ago at a VW/Mercedes Dealership. The 2 top earning mechanics, both brothers from Germany didn't own a single Snap On or MAC tool or tool box. The only thing they bought was Craftsman and laughed at all of use for spending money on over priced Snap On. ...........

Welcome! and well said. I also worked with some factory trained German mechanics 35 years ago, and they had the same attitude toward tools; Craftsman was preferred over the truck brands. In fact when several of them moved back to Germany they were the envy of their colleagues because they owned US made Craftsman tools.

While on vacation a few years ago, another German mechanic colleague bought a 300pc Craftsman set to take back to Germany, simply because of the US made brand recognition. They don't care about the warranty; they all knew that Craftsman tools were the best value for the money in both the US and Germany.

Offline plinker

• certified smart a$$
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

I guess I am very skeptical when the words Snap-on and warranty are mentioned together. In the past I have had far more bad warranty experiences than good with Snap-on so when I read that if I am not currently buying tools from the truck then I must have a receipt, I take them at their word. I saw nothing that said we are only doing this with warranty abusers. What I saw indicated to me if I was not currently addicted to a truck then I better have receipts to prove I made the purchase from them.

If I thought I had issues getting warranty service before I darned sure won't get crap out of them now. Just glad I don't have more Snap-on than I do because I know I won't be adding to that pile. Slowly but surely for me it is turning out that Proto and Wright brands are going to be the last two major players standing that will get my new dollars for sure. Snap-on, I am done with. No tools as expensive as those tools are new or used to waste my time on if they have a shaky warranty and that was what I took from that.

I remember back on the other board you're having issue's w/ Snap-on's warranty.  When they came out with the fact you could send the tool's in by mail, it got easier for me in that I didnt alway's get the chance to see the localish dealer that only show's up one morning every two week's (big area w/ lot of small town's).

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the proof of purchase bit yet, but I'll send them an E-mail next week on my stuff and see what they say.  I do agree for what you spend on them you'd think the warranty would be a bit more user friendly, given the market.   shrugx     

I buy certain kind's tool's from them (S-O) and there are reason's why I buy from multiple brand's. Mainly because I dont like all my egg's in one basket. 

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

Tags: