Author Topic: Chemetron P & H Arc Welder  (Read 1626 times)

Offline pandabaer

Chemetron P & H Arc Welder
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
 headscratch
Hi I just recently inherited a Chemetron P & H Arc Welder looking for any information I can gather on it is there anyone that can help me

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
Re: Chemetron P & H Arc Welder
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »
Pawling & Harnischfeger welders are at the top of the line when it comes to quality and longevity. Unfortunately Chemetron (which purchased P&H's welding business in the 1960's) itself folded  their welding business many years ago and consequently dropped the P&H line. Unless you can find a manual on ebay, there are no ready sources for spare parts and/or documentation.

Good luck! post some info and pics on one of the welding forums. Sometimes you get lucky and a fellow member has what you need.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

http://weldingweb.com/

http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/forum.php?s=c4d1b740d1ea3eb52cc35f4eaa5acda5

Offline pandabaer

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »
Thanks for the info I have manual and welder works great just was wondering what the value may be I inherited and do not need I was going to run an ad to try and sell but do not have any idea what it is worth any clues?
Appreciate any input

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
You're going to have to provide some more info with regard to value. P&H Chemetron made many industrial welding machines. What model and what features? Is is strictly an AC stick machine, or an AC/DC machine, or does it also have TIG welding capability?

Most importantly, does it run on single phase power or industrial three-phase. Most P&H welders were heavy duty industrial machines, hence they may require a dedicated electrical circuit, or at the very least a high amperage circuit.

A few pics may help to ID the kind of machine you have. The power requirements should be in plain view on the front of the machine.

Offline pandabaer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »
The model is ACS 225 says single phase on front

Offline pandabaer

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »
I also have and I don't know if you know anything about it or if you may know someone I have an Ungar 4624 Soldering/Desoldering station any clues?
I really appreciate any info you have

Offline brslk

• Super Hero
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:13:35 PM »
The model is ACS 225 says single phase on front

That looks a whole lot like an older Miller AC 225 Thunderbolt.
I'd value it at $50-$150 depending on length of leads and condition.
Excellent welder with infinite adjustable power but there are tons of AC only machines out there.

Bruce.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:18:26 PM by brslk »
"Government programs are like morphine, if you need it, you need it, but use it too long and bad things happen. "

"I bet it's either a DOS attack of a rouge running again. Dang it I would be busy with the goats when this happened."
rusty.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:42 AM »
Yup, Bruce is correct. That's a light duty 240v single phase AC welder. Must have been Chemetron's attempt to break into the homeowner grade market to compete with Lincoln, Miller, Sears and Wards (among many others). The value isn't high when compared to similar Lincoln and Miller units because you can't get service and parts for the machine anymore.

As far as the soldering station is concerned, I'm not sure, but a quick look around ebay should give you a clue as to a "Ballpark" estimate. 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:17:19 AM by goodfellow »

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:42 AM »