Author Topic: Freeze plug stuck and or floating in block.  (Read 1544 times)

Offline plinker

• certified smart a$$
Freeze plug stuck and or floating in block.
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
Tying to put a block heater in my truck tonight ('99 ranger, 2.5L)  and the freeze plug is accessable from the wheel well best, so I got a long punch shaped deal tapped it with enough force to knock it loose (didnt want to move at first) and it apparently decided stayed in the water jacket near as I can tell. I looked on the vehicle and the ground and did not find it. It's aluminum too. 

I felt around in the block and I think it's in there around where the cylinder curves. whatever it was did not feel like cast which is why I think it's the freeze plug. I can get about an inch of finger in there and whatever it is seems stuck.  Is there a problem leaving it in there? I dont think it can go anywhere given it would be between the block heater and cylinder curve. 

Offline OldnSlo

Re: Freeze plug stuck and or floating in block.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
I just went through this with two vintage vehicles (freeze plug landing inside). While others may chime in on this, my experience with FINDING freeze plugs in vehicles is....no harm...no foul, however I could not allow this in my vehicle.

I was VERY surprised at how easily both vehicles referenced above, gave up the hidden freeze plug. The key is orienting it correctly and in my case, just pulling it through with Vice Grips (sorry...locking pliers)...no wait...they WERE authentic Peterson Vice Grips.  angryguyx

Both were deep cup freeze plugs as well.
Need a few Par-X combos to fill out a set.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »
Ouch!! I'm not a fan of leaving the plug in the water jacket. You're just asking for cooling system trouble. My suggestion is to get an set of angled needle nose pliers and start fishing that plug out of there. Last resort, get a cheap pick set a HF and bend the pick to form so that you can get that plug out.

Offline strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
If you have easy space to work in they can be easy.   Tight spaces are another story.
   Just get them in the area of the hole, turn them sideways and try to pull them out without managing to get them lost deeper inside.

Offline BigBossman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
I dont think it will hurt a thing. Its too big to lodge in a place where it would restrict  any water flow in my opinion. It being operated in a very cold climate most of the time  even reduces my concern of any overheating from a possible flow restriction .
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:01:55 PM by TheFairlaneman »

Offline plinker

• certified smart a$$
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
Well I brought home my long reach tools & stuffand had no luck finding it.  I came to the concolusion that the rounded thing I felt was the inside side of the filter base, given that it's right there.  :-[

I did some searching and found while it's best to get it out it wont likely hurt anything.  For all I know it may have spun out and landed some where like the front axle. (hard to tap on it & whatch at the same time) I dropped the heater and took a couple minutes to find it. So I'll have to see if anything is under the truck when I move it.  Hopefully that's where it is.

Offline may pop

• cobbler
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »
If left in the engine it could cause a hot spot that will be similar to a nuclear melt down. The truck will spontainiously combust taking the whole neighborhood with it and causing a forest fire.
On second thought it should not cause any problems.

Ron
Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

Offline straight8

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
I would do what ever it takes to find that bugger.  Maybe something flexible with some sticky goo on one end would work. There isn't a lot of room for water in there and even less if there is a blockage slowing it down.  Keep in mind also that if you aren't cooling properly the temp sensor is going to tell the the computer that things are amiss, and the check engine light will remind you.
If it ain't broke fix it until it is.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »

Tags: