Author Topic: New project  (Read 28229 times)

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
Re: New project
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
My son built a Jeep for rock crawler over a few years and i got the tour a few months ago as I had never really seen it up close.  He proceeds to tell me he switched rears and all the add ons he needed.  Then I am watching the new show Truck Nite in America.  The Jeeps all had different rears and motors then what came in them.

So I am thinking, how much jeep is left in one after it is built lolx  Apparently the body and frame ;D
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
they are pretty capable stock, but what fun is that lol.  for guys that do a lot of rock crawling etc, its one upgrade leads to the next.  need more ground clearance so bigger tires, to fit bigger tires you need a lift, once you lift it you need to regear, when you regear the rear axle is a weak spot, and you need lockers.  once you do that you may want more horsepower to be able to run the jeep on the road because now you are driving a brick wall that is way underpowered.  it is an ongoing process.  but for me, meh, I just like to tinker.   I do a lot of upgrading, but rarely get it off the street.  My fun is the wrenching.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
^^^YOu hit the nail on the head.  One upgrade leads to another
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
I figured my motor mounts would be shot when I pulled the engine, (and I was right)  so I ordered some brown dog replacements.  they are not in yet so I went ahead and spent some time with the pressure washer and degreaser to clean the engine bay up a bit.

I still have to take some stuff off the old engine, but I don't want to do that until I am ready to drop the new engine in.

last night I decided to clean up the grill and mount the new griffin aluminum radiator.

it has been raining so much and hailing the last few days so I am parking my new truck in the shop.  tonight I hope to be able to pull my brother in laws toyota in to see if I can start tearing the exhaust manifold out.  if I can get that done by this weekend I might be able to get a few more things done on the jeep like cleaning up some of the accessories.  but I am on hold right now waiting on my motor mounts, and a night off call to drop the engine in. 

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »
well, I decided to powdercoat the powersteering pump pulley, and while it was off I found a small crack in the return line.  so I ordered a reman unit from summit.  it will be here tomorrow.  then I can finish this up. 

I did not take a picture last night.  but I got the correct fitting for the oil pressure sending unit which is different on the 4.0 than the 4.2 so I got it installed and the sending unit.  stabbed the distributor and hooked up the heater hoses.  so the passenger side of the engine is done.  just need to put the battery tray back in.  once I get the power steering pump I can get the fan and belt on, then put the grill back on and fill it with water to check for leaks.  getting closer.  hopefully I will be able to get it running this weekend.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2018, 11:28:57 PM »
Mighty clean looking there.   Be nice weather to go cruising come the weekend,

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2018, 01:34:17 AM »
story of my life, two steps forward one step back. but persistence pays off in the end.  I finally got my new powersteering pump and bolted it on with a new o-ring and went to install the fan pulley and fan.  no go, this engine is a 4.0 with a 4.2 crank so I ordered a 4.0 water pump.  bolted it up and it looked fine.  unfortunately when I put the fan pulley on, it rubbed against the pump.  so I called oreillys last night and had a waterpump for a 4.2 delivered today.  I bolted it up swapped the studs etc.  and let it set up for a few hours.  then I put the fan on, new fan clutch, new belt.  new lower radiator hose, unfortunately the upper radiator hose is also for a 4.0 and guess what?  yep it doesn't fit either.  fortunately I have learned a few things from my Dad over the years and one of them is never throw anything away until the project is done.  so yes I have boxes and garbage strewn all over my shop, but I also still have my old water pump with the studs that did not come on the new pump, and the old upper radiator hose,  also the hose clamps that came with my new radiator and hose kit were garbage so I re- used the old ones.

then I added some water to the radiator, filled the powersteering pump, hooked up the battery

and turned the key on to cycle the fuel pump 3 times.  then I held my breath, turned the key .  and......nothing.  no start, no crank, nothing.  I figured I had knocked that stupid little connector that goes to the starter loose, but it turned out that In all my fiddling I had just loosened the hot wire to the starter solenoid.  once I discovered that and tightened it up, about 15 minutes of swearing and head scratching later.

then I added some water to the radiator, filled the powersteering pump, hooked up the battery

and turned the key on to cycle the fuel pump 3 times.  then I held my breath, turned the key .  and......nothing.  no start, no crank, nothing.  I figured I had knocked that stupid little connector that goes to the starter loose, but it turned out that In all my fiddling I had just loosened the hot wire to the starter solenoid.  once I discovered that and tightened it up, about 15 minutes of swearing and head scratching later.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:39:10 AM by mustanggarage »

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2018, 01:37:02 AM »
tried it again, and it started cranking and started so fast I barely had time to get excited.  it was almost anticlimactic.  normally when you start a fresh rebuild it cranks for a bit, sputters, cranks and fires finally.  this thing started like I just shut it off an hour ago.   beerdude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw2N0QSlhPY&feature=youtu.be

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
... I hate it when you turn the key and its too quite.  panicx panicx  Glad you got it sorted out.
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:07 PM »
I pulled the hard top off today.

then I never really liked that grant steering wheel.  it was a major pain to put on, and the stupid horn started honking every time I turned the wheel so I have had it unplugged for the last year or so.  So I decided to replace it.  I really like lecarra steering wheels.  I have one in both my 65 and 67 mustangs.  they are pricey but they look and feel great, and I much prefer the horn function in them over the grant version.  So I found a lecarra wheel that suited my taste, and spent quite a while trying to find the proper hub adapter.  I finally called lecarra and they told me what part number to order.  so I got it ordered from summit and swapped that in tonight.

I also put in a set of rugged ridge molded floor mats.

while I was swapping the steering wheel, the stupid little horn wire broke right out of the contact button.  so I had to carefully pry the old wire out and solder in a new wire but I did get it working properly.  then I put the bikini top and wind blocker on.

and I replaced the valve cover breather with a billet one from edelbrock.

then I took it for another short drive.  out to supper with the wife then run around town for a bit.  the jeep seems to be working perfectly.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:07 PM »