Author Topic: Snap-on tool boxes have "oil can" drawers  (Read 642 times)

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
Snap-on tool boxes have "oil can" drawers
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:10:28 AM »
That's right, the very bottom panel of the drawer that you set your tools on will "oil can" if the drawer is empty and no weight is on it. When I say "oil can," I'm talking about the old fashion oil cans that flex on the bottom when you push on them. When the drawer is empty, the drawer bottom will be crowned upward. When you set your tools on it, the drawer bottom will flatten out. Why am I telling you this? Because when I first got my KRL1056, I was disappointed in the "oil can" drawers. The sheet metal is no where near as thick as the old boxes like the KR660B and the KR1000. I still have the box and it's a nice box, but it's no KR1000.

Offline strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
Re: Snap-on tool boxes have "oil can" drawers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
The materials will change over time some.    Newer sheet metal is stronger and lighter than older mostly due to car body technology changing over the years.   Alloys have changed a lot since the 70's.

Thinner yet stronger makes a lighter car for better gas mileage, this doesn't translate well into structures made of mostly flat panels like tool boxes.   Cars are built of curved and formed panels for rigidity and toolboxes need braces run under or inside the drawers to achieve that same effect.
  How many of us like that divider or brace inside the drawers?   Not many in a full width low profile drawer that seems to be the rage right now.   Yet we want a tin panel 4' by 2' to hold 350 lbs of stuff without sagging into the drawer below and binding.
   There are limits to the materials as well as consumer demands that must be met, a balance point has to be reached.

Where does the consumer start to accept the limits of the materials?    We need to accept the need for the lost open space for weight capacity somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:08:32 PM by strik9 »

The Garage Gazette

Re: Snap-on tool boxes have "oil can" drawers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »

Tags: