Author Topic: Let's rebuild an 18v Ryobi/Worx/Skil battery pack - updated 12/21/2013  (Read 23336 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Let's rebuild an 18v Ryobi/Worx/Skil battery pack - updated 8/21/2013
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
This morning I rebuilt a slightly different version of the Skil 18v battery pack. This is the version that doesn't include the charging indicator on the rear of the pack, so in all respects this pack is simpler to rebuild. As in the previous example, the pack is separated by punching out the lower left hand corner plug to gain access to the hidden screw.

To separate the case once the screws are removed, you simply push down on one side of the battery locking tabs and the case pulls apart.

The thermistor is taped to one of the batteries

The entire center plate of the battery pack removes as well to reveal all the connections. Blue wire is -negative, and Red is +Positive

Leave the thermistor alone and unsolder the positive and negative leads. Leave the battery pack in tact to act as a guide for assembling the new pack.

IMPORTANT: In the following pic note how the top stack is connected to the bottom, The center "red" circle indicates how the connection is made from the lower stack to the top stack. One side of the  connection is from the top lead of a battery that resides in the lower stack, while the other side is the lower lead from a battery that resides in the top stack. These two connections need to be soldered to join both stacks.

What you really need to take into account is that you need to wind up with one positive connection on one end of the stack (the green circle in the pic), and one negative connection on the other end (the blue circle).

This is what you should wind up with -- the other half of the cover can now be installed and you're ready with a new battery pack.

Good luck!!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:28:15 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: Let's rebuild an 18v Ryobi/Worx/Skil battery pack - updated 12/21/2013
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »
Other than ebay where else could I buy the nickel strips and batteries you used to rebuild the Ryobe batteries Ray? I have 4 ni-cads that need rebuilt. I don't ebay though hence my question.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Other than ebay where else could I buy the nickel strips and batteries you used to rebuild the Ryobe batteries Ray? I have 4 ni-cads that need rebuilt. I don't ebay though hence my question.

On the new sub-C battery designs you don't need the nickel strips Buck. The OEM connection strips are long enough to bend and solder in any direction. Unfortunately I don't know anyplace else to get the batteries. Most of them come directly from China, and ebay is the only economical way that I found without going through a middle man.

Maybe someone else will know a source -- but I've only ordered from ebay.

Offline scottg

• Super Hero
    • Scotts Tool Page
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »

On the new sub-C battery designs you don't need the nickel strips Buck. The OEM connection strips are long enough to bend and solder in any direction. Unfortunately I don't know anyplace else to get the batteries. Most of them come directly from China, and ebay is the only economical way that I found without going through a middle man.

Maybe someone else will know a source -- but I've only ordered from ebay.

You do want the batteries with the strips already welded on. They use a special process that doesn't heat the battery. Ordinary soldering of your own strips is risky. Batteries do not like heat.

I can't find anyone anywhere anywhere near so cheap as the "direct from China" sellers.
yours Scott

Offline Kabob Schwab

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »
Awesome, awesome thread.   New to this site after trying to figure out if I throw away these skil tools and batteries I purchased years ago.  Is this what we are referring to in replacing the Skil 18v cells?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x-Nicd-4-5-SubC-Sub-C-1-2V-1600mAh-Rechargeable-Battery-with-Tab-USA-SHIP-/371294240213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672dc7dd5

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »

Tags: