Author Topic: Napa hand tools?  (Read 4613 times)

Offline pipehack

Napa hand tools?
« on: September 10, 2010, 08:25:54 PM »
Who's making them and do they have plastic in them? Like the selector and release button? Just wondering. There seems to be a napa every where and "Pinks" all out always gives them away to the winner. From the pics on their website looks like they are stamped U.S.A. I'm not buying any due to my new found love for Cman. I'll explain that one later so I don't look like I'm back tracking on some things I said earlier.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor.... And surviving.

Offline pipehack

Re: Napa hand tools?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
I forgot.... They look some what similar to the Allen brand that's sold at Menards and Farm and Fleet. From what I've seen in person on those they are stamped U.S.A.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor.... And surviving.

Offline lauver

• King of Typos
  • Hunt and peck king
  • PROTO BetR-Grip Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
pipehack,

The last time I looked at NAPA branded ratchets, they were unmistakably made by Danaher. They have some lower priced ratchets (can't remember their 2nd and 3rd tier brands) that are made in China; it's possible these are also made in by Danaher at their Chinese production facility. And last, but not least, they carried GearWrench branded ratchets, yet another Danaher brand.  This connection goes back many decades.  I have two older NAPA branded ratchets, one probably made by MDF, the other probably Easco.

Just for fun, I took my oldest NAPA ratchet and swapped parts with my Crafty V-series ratchet. Both ratchets worked fine with the transplanted parts. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...I wrest my case.

And yes, they do have plastic parts just like the Craftys.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:56:26 PM by lauver »
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Fedwrench

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51:56 AM »
NAPA has two levels of tools, NAPA Professional Hand Tools and the lower priced Evercraft. NAPA professional Hand Tools were made by Danaher and were a  sightly different version cosmetically from their Craftsman, Allen, K-D, or Armstrong relatives. They are a little pricey compared to their relatives but, they're good tools. However with the recent demise of the hand tool portion of K-D tools, Napa professional Hand Tools are becoming Gearwrench clones. The name is different on the tool but, you can browse through the current real deals flyer or the store and see the similarities. Yes, they are imported from Tawan or the PRC depending on the tool. I look for Craftsman,  Allen, and other Danaher/Apex brands to move to being China brands too sadly.
Evercraft tools are the supposedly lower priced line that have always been Taiwan/PRC made. Evercraft is probably better than Harbor Freight and equal to say Powerbilt or Duralast and parts stores house tool brands.
If you can find used US made NAPA professional hand tools at a decent price, I would pick them up. They will serve you well but, just remember that they're basically better finished Craftsman tools so, don't spend a lot of money.
There are no bad tools, it's just that some are better than others...

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51:56 AM »

Tags: