Author Topic: Calling all Cordomatic Consultants  (Read 891 times)

Offline OldnSlo

Calling all Cordomatic Consultants
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
My current concern is with this craftily and recently consummated collectible. The trouble being, that it is retractable (good), but not "stayable" (bad) when pulled outward for work.

The superb original finish (except for the repainted lamp housing) is what drew me to it. Kinda like a moth to a lamp.

Q1. Are some of these Cordomatics, designed to not lock in place, but rather to slide the ball towards the housing to prevent it from coiling back? The ball is loose enough for this. When disassembled (I don't encourage this), there is no visible centrifugal latch mechanism, but merely a large coil spring ready just make your day when it goes spoorrrrrooooooing.

Q2. Did this originally have a silver hammertone finish for the bulb housing?

Q3: Does anyone have a pic of their Cordomatic bulb guard? I found some correct wire, and would like to bend one to mimic the OE one. Thanks!

Thanks!

Online Muddy

• Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
Re: Calling all Cordomatic Consultants
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
that thing is sweet looking
"I have NO intentions of keeping any of this crap! " Phil the "Fat Man"

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
that thing is sweet looking
+1 on that thumbsup2
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »
I would think it should have a pawl to catch it stop rewinding.  I just checked one I got a while back and it catches.  Don't know the brand though.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline OldnSlo

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
I've finessed with it a bit.....so now it catches about 95% of the time. That pull out cord is like 1972 new and in great shape.

Thanks all!

Offline OldnSlo

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
Well, the dirt market today turned up the correct lamp grill. It jumped out, and into my bag for a whopping $2.50. The whole dang thing! Thats a 50' Belden cord in fine shape too, back in the day those things were not grounded.

I'll need to fab up a hanger now. It surely had one of those......right?

I've put a quick coat of Aluminum colored paint on it to check for a match. Pretty close.

Really? No one has a pic of their bulb guard with a hanger?

Offline lauver

• King of Typos
  • Hunt and peck king
  • PROTO BetR-Grip Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »
OnS,

I like your cordomatic with or without the hanger.

I don't have a trouble light or I would shoot you a photo.

Sorry
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline mtkst19

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »
the ball is there to set the "drop" of the cord.  so if you were to hang it from the ceiling, the ball would not allow the cord to go all the way up in the reel to where you could not pull it out. 

As for the lamp, cant help you there.  mine did not have a lamp on it.  I never had mine apart either to see how the mechanism works. 

here is mine

Offline OldnSlo

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
 And now.....(drum roll please)......even MORE...low amperage, skeeery 18 gauge wiring, non grounded.....fun!

Behold the Cordomatic lil' brother extension cord reel. I do believe this was a factory non-trouble light version, with a shorter (about 12ft) cord. Just right for wandering around the workshop with a fully heated soldering gun looking for long lost resistors and diodes that leaped from the workbench.

The larger trouble light is built for a whopping 7 amps of teeth chattering joy. The smaller one is marked for 6 amps of fun. Don't hook up your 1/2" drive electric impact gun, or 8hp compressor to the end of this vintage electrical buddy. Those thin little brass "fingers" found inside that ride up against the reel (and transmit the voltage) won't take kindly to that load.

A side note to others that find these in the wild. They tend to want to retract better in the upright mounted type position. They are not like tape measures that perform in all angles. Another tip is to use gloves when disassembling, have them fully retracted inward, and "hold" that reel with a gloved finger through the cord hole when removing the upper half. Once you have the patient opened up.....yer' on yer' own buckaroo!

Offline pepi

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
I found one of those in Orland on a bis trip, picked it up cause I remembered it form days gone by. However I forgot why I did not have it anymore. Took it home was a drop light, it lasted about an hour into something I was working on, got tossed in the can. You know, I did the same thing about 30 years ago for the very same reason, they suck.

I guess I needed to be reminded. Bslap
Petrolhead
I have two brains. One is lost the other is out looking for it.

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »
Really? No one has a pic of their bulb guard with a hanger?

Here ya go. th-smile I think mine is somewhat newer than yours.
Dave

Offline OldnSlo

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »
Dave, thanks for sharing. Much appreciated. Does yours have the outlet turned away from the pic, or does it house a toggle switch for operation. I see yours is the 2 wire setup, same as my black handled one. Seems they made a grounded and non grounded version. The yellow handled one has a longer cord, 3 wire setup, and thicker gauge wire for the bulb cage. Obviously the "professional" version. Ha!

I somehow had yet another Cordo-matic follow me home, allowing me to pattern the correct shape a few months ago. It's all done now, the toughest part was finding the correct matching gauge wire to fab up. I found a oxy/acet sparker that had the right size, so it got repurposed.

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »
Dave, thanks for sharing. Much appreciated. Does yours have the outlet turned away from the pic, or does it house a toggle switch for operation. I see yours is the 2 wire setup, same as my black handled one. Seems they made a grounded and non grounded version. The yellow handled one has a longer cord, 3 wire setup, and thicker gauge wire for the bulb cage. Obviously the "professional" version. Ha!

I somehow had yet another Cordo-matic follow me home, allowing me to pattern the correct shape a few months ago. It's all done now, the toughest part was finding the correct matching gauge wire to fab up. I found a oxy/acet sparker that had the right size, so it got repurposed.

My pleasure, OnS. Nice work fabbing that cage.  thumbsup2

Mine has the regular button switch; the outlet is on the flat spot right below the label on the bottom side of the handle in the pic.
Dave

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »

Tags: