Author Topic: Types of Vise Grip styles  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Centerpunch

• Hunt and peck king
Types of Vise Grip styles
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »
So recently I was doing some work and I decided to open my American made tool box that I bought recently to look at my American made locking pliers.  Then I realized, that given there is several variations and some have even been discontinued, I figured why not take a picture of the styles I do own.   I am not sure if I currently have images of all the styles, but I do have some.

Essentially these are all the locking pliers I below and all of them are American made as I mentioned earlier.  I don't have complete sets though of any style.  But time permitting I would like to post some images of the ones I own individually.

EDIT:   Photobucket keeps on providing invalid links to the images, so I am not sure what to do as I continue to type in the same URL over and over again. I'll do what I can, but not sure what else I can do.

To start I'll list the 20R chain Vise Grip I once owned. 

Now I think this was made well before Petersen became one with American Tools, but I don't have the original box to prove that.  The lever doesn't even mention the coo or anything but the patent numbers.  I literally can only guess the age here, but I'd say 80's.

Secondly, is the  4 inch bent nose needle nose Vise Grips I own.  Apparently these have been discontinued, but I am not sure how long.  I've heard 1992 as well as 1994, but no clue.  Apparently there were two other sizes, 6BN and 9BN as well.  I've only seen those with the 1994 date stamp.

Third is swivel clamp style and the one I own is 6 inches.  There are several other sizes such as 4 inch and larger as well. 

Next is the discontinued style 6LC large jaw Vise Grips.  Mine was made in USA as well as in the year 2000 by American Tools.  There is larger version 12LC as well.

Below is a image of my USA made Crescent 11 inch clamps without the swivel pads.  I think these were made in the early 90's.

Apparently there is only one style of sheet metal Vise Grips and I own these as well.  Although these say Irwin, these are American made and I think these were made in 2003.

I recently found out wrench variations of Vise Grips exist and managed to pick up a old stock USA made American Tool 7 inch locking wrench.  There is a 4W, 7W and 10W style.

I believe these are the curved line of Vise Grips and the smallest that I know without the wire cutter is 5 inches, but there is a 7 inch and 10 inch variation as well.  Mine are from the 80's though I think.

The next style that I personally own is the regular needle nose design.  There is a 4 inch, 6 inch and 9 inch style of these.  For some reason Irwin in 2003 decided not to state these are six inches, so I'll do so here.

Here is a image of a Petersen made, but Wilde branded 4 inch toggle locking pliers.  I spoke to Lucas who is the grandson of the original Mr. Wilde and these were made in early 1980's.

Apparently locking pliers are also called toggle lock pliers as well.

There is also the curved straight variation of Vise Grips and I think they come in 4, 5, 7 and 10 sizes.  The one you see below is the before Rubbermaid truly took over American Tools.

These are all the locking pliers I currently own.  Below is a better image of my  USA made Craftsman 5 inch seemingly curved jaw locking pliers and a better image of my USA made Crescent 7 inch straight locking pliers.

Now for the seven inch Crescent locking pliers.

There are other styles of locking pliers, such as pinch off, welders, parallel and at one time a Vise Grip multi tool with a 6LC large jaw and a 5WR curved jaw.  Not sure if I missed any other styles though.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:45:51 AM by Centerpunch »

Offline brslk

• Hunt and peck king
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: Types of Vise Grip styles
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
I'm thinking you should change your name to "Vice Grip".

Bruce.
It was 1989, my thoughts were short my hair was long...

Offline OldnSlo

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post these. They are truly useful tools with many "wanna be's" out there vying for attention.

Somewhere in my stash is the Peterson version before the second lever that releases that ever so famous grip. I recall it having a cad finish, not the nice nickle finish you see nowdays.

Need a few Par-X combos to fill out a set.

Offline Centerpunch

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:39:26 PM »
OldnSlo:  You are quite welcome, I am sorry that Photobucket continues to delete my images, I am in the long process switching web hosting services, so this should hopefully be resolved shortly.

Hopefully these images show now.

I'll replace the images that Photobucket decided to "delete".

IMG_1662_zpsad6e60b3 by

IMG_1661_zps36685793 by

IMG_1660_zps1aae3d27 by

That is my Crescent 11C USA made locking pliers.  I think that was made in early 90's.

IMG_1665_zps69e87b31 by

IMG_1664_zps0552c12c by

These are 8 inch USA made Irwin sheet metal Vise Grips. 

IMG_1667 by

IMG_1668 by

USA made 7 inch locking wrench.

IMG_1673_zpsb821aae2 by

IMG_1674_zps53a7bc38 by

These are USA made "locking wrench" and there are several variations of these as well.  4 inch, 7 inch and 10 inch I believe.

IMG_1512_zpsd7efe9f9 by

These are my 4RW 4 inch Irwin straight Vise Grips and I believe there is the 4 inch, 5 inch,  7 inch and 10 inch variations.

Offline stephen9666

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
I've only seen people post those Crescent branded pliers a couple times. They look really good and I wish they still made them. The build quality looks good and they don't have the stupid Vise-Grip style release lever.

I wonder if they made them in house or if they were contract production?

Offline Centerpunch

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »
I've only seen people post those Crescent branded pliers a couple times. They look really good and I wish they still made them. The build quality looks good and they don't have the stupid Vise-Grip style release lever.

I wonder if they made them in house or if they were contract production?

I was very lucky, I bought these Crescent locking pliers at Epsteins, but there was only two left.  I wish Petersen used the lever as Crescent did, as if there was any disadvantage, the lever was it with Petersen.

I only know roughly the date of my USA made Crescent locking pliers, but if I had to guess, I'd say these were made in house.   

These Crescent locking pliers are still in production, but they are no longer American made and the quality of the product has dropped immensely.  You can find these at Ace Hardware though.

Offline pepi

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
Big difference in the real ones and the knock offs.
Petrolhead
I have two brains. One is lost the other is out looking for it.

Offline Centerpunch

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
Big difference in the real ones and the knock offs.

Legitimate American made Vise Grips will read USA either on the lever and or back on the product.  With Vise Grips from the 1980's, the lever will state Vise Grips, but on the back of the Vise Grips will state Petersen Dewitt Nebraska United States America Manufacturing company.

From 1991 or so, the lever will state Made in USA and the back of the Vise Grips, will state the Petersen information, despite the fact that Petersen merged with American Tools in 1985. 

In 1996, American Tools added "The original since 1924" and beneath that is Made in USA.  Up until 2003, the Petersen information would still be there. 

In early 2003 the term Irwin would be there as well as Made in USA, but the Petersen information is gone.

Really the best locking pliers from the 1980's-1990's. From 2000-2003 maybe as well.  After Rubbermaid bought Irwin out, this was a not a positive sign. 

I own several American made brands, such as Crescent, Craftsman, Stanley, Wilde.  All have variances, but I've noticed American made Crescent locking pliers are much better with their levers. 

Offline lbgradwell

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
My Vise-Grips. All Petersen/ATC...

Offline lbgradwell

• Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »
...despite the fact that Petersen merged with American Tools in 1985. 

It wasn't a merger. It was simply a re-naming of the company.

Offline Centerpunch

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
Ibgradwell:  My mistake, thank you.  Sorry about the images, since I have more Vise Grips now I might as well just do another post correctly this eventually.

But I must say, that is a sweet American Tool Vise Grip roll you have.  Two thumbs up for that amazingly cool yellow design.

Now that is the type of Vise Grip tool roll if I ever found on eBay or so, I'd probably buy, assuming the price is sky high.  Then again, I might just like the look of vintage tool designs.

Offline platypus20

• Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 05:47:38 AM »
I guess I don't understand, everything. Why use Photobucket, I just load the pictures directly from the laptop to the site.

I use the program Irfranview, free shareware, to process or modify any picture.
jack

Offline lbgradwell

• Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 06:28:51 AM »
Why use Photobucket, I just load the pictures directly from the laptop to the site.

I believe the issue is that that consumes bandwidth or somehow increases the costs - graciously covered by our host - to run the site...

Photobucket can sometimes annoy me with their "improvements", but I have had no issues with any of my photos being deleted.

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »
Here's a crappy cellphone pic of one of mine:

New Britain AW-107 (with Petersen and Jones patent #'s on the bottom of the lever).

I use PhotoBucket and generally have no issues.   You might want to check your linking options - I've got  the Link Back Option turned off.  This option adds additional info to the link so that anyone can click on your posted pic and view your PhotoBucket albums if you don't have your albums set to Private (they'll get a plain PhotoBucket page stating the album is private if so).  I don't like the idea of anyone potentially looking through more than what I've posted on any particular board.  It could also be that the extra link info is giving you some problems.  I simply right click and copy the IMG linking option and paste it in the reply window - no problems.  Don't go organizing your photos into different PhotoBucket folders after linking/posting for the obvious reason - the links will be broken.

Offline lbgradwell

• Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »
I've got  the Link Back Option turned off.

Aha! Thanks for that; I've been manually removing the URL info since it mysteriously started appearing a month or two back...

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »

Tags: