Author Topic: Elroy Needs More Power  (Read 11504 times)

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
Re: Elroy Needs More Power
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »
When it's all said and done there'll be about 80 foot of 3/4 EMT loaded with #6 THHN that will be good for 50 amps in the garage. Elroy shutters to think what an electrician would charge  :-\
When we wired Dad's shop we figured he saved about $10,000.  Three or four 120V circuits for receptacles, two 120V circuits for lights, two 240V circuits for more powerful tools, and outlets spaced every 4', plus the close to 90' of cable plus the in-ground conduit to supply the shop in the first place.  Still spent over $1000 on wire and parts, but would have been a lot worse if paying someone else.

Offline wreckercologist

• Court Jester
  • Super Hero
  • Fonzy disciple
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
 thumbsup2  looking good, Elroy!

Offline Norcal

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 01:10:52 AM »
That panel has a Zinsco main breaker, Zinsco/Sylvania is one of the two most reviled names in electrical equipment, the other being FPE, Federal Pacific Electric. BTW, it was Zinsco,  then Sylvania, & after that Challenger before going away although the Zinsco mains were also used in Westinghouse BR loadcenters.

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »
That panel has a Zinsco main breaker, Zinsco/Sylvania is one of the two most reviled names in electrical equipment, the other being FPE, Federal Pacific Electric. BTW, it was Zinsco,  then Sylvania, & after that Challenger before going away although the Zinsco mains were also used in Westinghouse BR loadcenters.

That's nice. Elroy couldn't really give a shit less as that 200 amp breaker is being feed with 50 amps.
I met Elroy years ago, I was not at all impressed with him, the guy was like a talking potted plant! A real Moron.

Elroy exists in a demented third person world that is void of Bull Shit and lies.

Offline Heiny57

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »
Nice work Elroy.      sharepopcorn
Wake Up America

If you can't fix it with a hammer, It must be electrical.

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
Elroy is enjoying a little break in the weather by moving his activities to the garage. After Elroy's move the ole IR hasn't hit a stroke in a while. That's about to change

Came through the dry wall from the basement and made up this neoprene seal for the LB

Sense Norcal likes to come around only to pick on Elroy's equipment, maybe this panel will meet with his approval. It doesn't even have a main breaker  angryguyx

I met Elroy years ago, I was not at all impressed with him, the guy was like a talking potted plant! A real Moron.

Elroy exists in a demented third person world that is void of Bull Shit and lies.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »
How loud will that compressor be inside the house?  Looks like that's an interior wall next to the living room...

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
Nice rig there Elroy, bet you will be glad to get it back in service. 
Living in a van, under a bridge, down by the river

Think about it ..........?

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:40 PM »
Elroy is enjoying a little break in the weather by moving his activities to the garage.

Too bad it has taken 6 weeks for the weather to break and the snow to stop falling. Just over a week ago we had over foot of snow and sub zero temperatures. It's nice to see spring just around the corner.

Elroy spent some time today ripping that POS cabinet off the wall and repairing the corner on the dry wall. The metal bead was smashed at bumper height. Looks like someone plowed into the wall sometime back and their repair sucked.

Before permanently mounting the new panel, Elroy is going to paint that section of wall. That's not going to happen until it warms up some more and the taxes get filed.

Each year those damn taxes get more complicated.  frustratedx

Why the hell can't they just keep it simple  angryguyx

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:19:59 PM by Elroy »

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Summer has been slow coming but Elroy is almost ready to pull wire for his new garage panel. Elroy was hoping his old fish tape was going to be long enough but guess what

Yep the old tape came up a bit short. Elroy decided a new fish tape was in order and at 125 foot this should fill Elroy's 85 foot pull requirements just fine

While Elroy was at it he picked up a few single and double gang exposed work boxes

Nice to see USA made items are still available

Even if they do use imported parts

It won't be long now

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 07:30:13 PM »
Well it's all done and up to code  sctatcherhead

Actually Elroy was forced to temp wire up a bunch of stuff waiting on this DPDT 20 amp switch

Took close to three weeks for that fool switch to show up.

Elroy is going to use it as a transfer switch @ the furnace.

Double pole, three position with center off yields the capability to switch both the hot and neutral. Several years ago Elroy got hammered with an ice storm that left the entire neighborhood with out power for well over a week. This DPDT switch will allow easy hook-up of alternate power to at least keep the heat on.

Besides that, A lot of the wiring is a big mess and Elroy is looking forward to having it cleaned up.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:38:00 PM by Elroy »

Offline aaron77

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
Has Elroy made any more progress?
We were somewhere around Barsto near the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
Has Elroy made any more progress?

Elroy has the furnace and A/C rewired but didn't take any pictures of that. Elroy has been spending his time recently rigging up a base to mount the garage panel to

Got a piece of 1" thick A/B plywood out the scrap hopper. Painted it and banded the edges

Pickles was checking it out

For some reason Elroy has been putting off finishing the drywall repair. With the plywood base complete he has no more excuses. Guess that's what happens when ya have three projects working at once.

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 10:25:32 PM »

Before permanently mounting the new panel, Elroy is going to paint that section of wall. That's not going to happen until it warms up

Well it's warm now and Elroy finally got that dam wall painted. Talk about a mess. Drywall work SUCKS.

Nice tracks. They go well well with the dog nose marks

First coat of primer / sealer

Much better

Got the wood up and got the panel mounted

Time to pull some wire, get the panel hot and fire that thing up

Offline aaron77

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »
Elroy sure does do some good work! I can really appreciate his attention to detail.
We were somewhere around Barsto near the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »

Tags: