Author Topic: Air Compressor once over?  (Read 7515 times)

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
Re: Air Compressor once over?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »
Looks like that compressor is nicely snugged away in it's corner. Is it getting enough circulation?

Offline nonhog

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »
Looks like that compressor is nicely snugged away in it's corner. Is it getting enough circulation?

I ask myself that question. It is open on the underside to the left and the heat can travel up the staircase also. At this point I have no door for the opening but plan to. If I were to run it a bunch I'd leave the door open.
Might add an exhaust fan to help circulate. 
cursed with an eye for potential

Offline nonhog

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
Now which first? MotorGuard or desiccant dryer?
These will be at the end of my 40-50' of copper tube. I'll probably skip these for the air reel and use them for the paint hose and plasma (when I get one)
Thoughts?   

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 10:48:07 PM »
Filter before dryer.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 03:06:46 AM »
Now I am scratching my head and thinking  headscratch.......... what fittings would be best to attach an air hose from compressor to air lines. I have the heavy Gates hose but its male threads on both ends and would require adaptors to a compression fitting or some such thing. I think more studying at the hardware store is due. Ideas welcome.

This could be useful, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200625242_200625242?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors-_-Air%20Compressor%20Piping%20Accessories-_-37574&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=37574&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=37574&gclid=CJes6Jvn38MCFYVhfgodD0cAIw just hate waiting for parts to ship when I'm in the mood to finish something. < That is not all the time   ;D

I soldered female ends to the drops I added to the main run, but if I did it over again I'd use straight copper tubing and a compression fitting.

Offline nonhog

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I now have air in the shop again. only a small whistle at the regulator. Might wait till I tackle the filter/dryer set up.
Then I add my Rapid Air for a couple more drops.
Less tripping on air hose in my future!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:12:54 PM by nonhog »

Offline nonhog

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
So far so good. Just adding the copper pipe its pretty dang dry. In fact plenty of wire wheeling the floor of a project car caused no spitting or dripping of any kind. Very happy.
May just paint something this summer. :)

Offline Xicaque

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »

I ask myself that question. It is open on the underside to the left and the heat can travel up the staircase also. At this point I have no door for the opening but plan to. If I were to run it a bunch I'd leave the door open.
Might add an exhaust fan to help circulate.

This!!!! I was going to comment on the cooling of the unit. OP, you have a nice shop from what I can see in the pictures. Your compressor seems to have no way to be cooled from ambient circulation (at least from what I can see in the pics). If I were you, I would ensure that the unit has enough room around it to stay cool. As for the rust on the water, a bit too late perhaps... When I bought my Quincy 80 gal, I poured linseed oil in the tank via the drain pipe at the bottom of the tank. Sloshed it around for a bit and then drained it. I also added an auto drain valve. My previous compressor, a CH 30 gal and loud! Lasted me about 15 yrs until the tank developed a pinhole leak. The Quincy will be the last compressor I buy until my death. I do not like rust and with the lindseed and auto drain, the water coming out is clear as drinking water after being in use for over 12 months. I plan on adding an aftercooler but right now that project is on hold.

Keep that unit cool as much as you can. Cheers!

Offline nonhog

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
Looks worse than it is. Its tight and probably far from ideal. However there is room for heat to travel up (not visible in pics) and.......... behind the plastic is a staircase landing that is open and since there is no door (yet) I think its o.k. I will add some vents that I can open close as in the winter I hang that plastic since that part of the shop is insulated nor heated.

I'll snap a pic or two soon. Thanks for the reply!   

Offline nonhog

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 11:01:06 PM »
Well I admit defeat. Its just too tight a space to not heat up in that little closet. Spitting water when taxed very hard. Can't trust that with my cheapo plasma cutter. I drug home a 80 gallon Lowes compressor that needs a capacitor (at minimum). I will place it in my 3rd bay with ample circulation. Might be a bit before that can happen. Lots on my plate.
I will post pics as it happens and report back.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
Does it freeze much where you live?

I'd install the compressor outdoors if possible without annoying the hell out of your neighbors.

My shack is rather *ahem* elaborate.  Dad's is a bit simpler.  He built four sides that sit around the compressor pump at that height.  Top and bottom around the tank are open.  We're still planning on building a heat exchanger so that the hot air from the pump is cooled before it goes into the tank, similar to the one I'm going to build for mine.

Another option is to add some ventilation to your existing location.  I had to replace some HVAC and I kept many of the parts.  I have a 240V low-amp squirrelcage out of an air handler installed in my air compressor shack to vent the shack out to the outside, wired in so when the pump runs the fan runs.  If you add air circulation to that closet, an ingress port and egress with a powerful fan, it might be enough.

Offline nonhog

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
Thanks, good ideas.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »