Author Topic: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 5-10  (Read 40216 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 5-10
« on: April 07, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Slowly but surely it's time to start the final assembly. Today I set out the front sub-frames and collected all the plated hardware to begin the assembly of the front end.

The paint on the sub-frames was pretty thick and it required a little gentle scraping with a razor blade to make it fit in the lower mounts. As in any reassembly work, it's a hand tool only job to keep from damaging the paint around the fastener. That also means a limited use of sockets because the rotation and force will leave a ring on the paint around the fastener. It just takes a lot of time --

Working some of these tight spots is nerve racking because the paint can chip very easily --

It took a bit of time, but I finally managed to get the sub-frame sections all squared up and nicely adjusted.

Here's how far I got today, and I'll try to install the upper control arms and calipers over the next few days.

After all these years it's a lot of fun to put nice shiny and clean pieces on the car.  Onward!!  --

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:45:51 PM by goodfellow »

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type -
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
 sharepopcorn
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »
Fun stuff starting to look like a car again.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline OldnSlo

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:37:06 PM »
Nice work!

Did I miss a thread on your fastener "refurb"? Did you plate them yourself, or send out.

edit: Found the thread.....nice detail...thx

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
Sooooo exciting!!!!! th-bounce thumbsup2
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline 246gts

• Decadence Wedding Carriages
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »
I envy you at this stage of the rebuild Ray, it is like having a giant Meccano set to play with and every time you put one component back on the car comes back to life.
I think you had better fill that fridge of yours because I can see many evenings being spent working at first but then just sitting back, looking, admiring and dreaming.
Great work as usual, Keep it up we are all with you
Dave

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement Dave. I very much appreciate the sentiments --  thumbsup2

In keeping with your ideas, I definitely gain confidence and enthusiasm the more I work on, and add parts to this car. Case in point, I couldn't sleep very much last night, so I fired up the heaters in the garage and started to work until dawn. I worked a bit, sat a bit, dreamed a bit, all while enjoying the peace and quiet of the early morning with a BIG pot of coffee and my dog-- LOL. She usually avoids the garage due to air impact and power tool noise, but since this assembly process is hand tools only, she ventured to join me and provide encouragement.

I was able to get a lot accomplished. First up were the upper control arms. I had originally cataloged the number of camber alignment shims to get the rebuilt car back into some semblance of alignment. It will be good enough for testing purposes.

One thing I do to all of my old cars is that I paint the alignment shims because they are a very likely to start major rust spots on the frame if kept in bare metal. Here's a sample of what I mean.

I was surprised to find that number of shims that were originally in the front part of the upper control arms --

A little bit of tweaking and both control arms were installed in no time.

Next up were the front hubs. I rebuilt these things five years ago and they came out of storage good as new.
Since I have very stiff torsion bars and there is effectively no load on them (i.e. no engine weight) to help compress the lower control arm, I used a turnbuckle ( bought it at the hardware store years ago for just this purpose) to put the torsion bar under tension and to lift it up far enough to allow the upper and lower ball joint to be installed.

That worked pretty well -- and as usual, what really eats up time in the process is tightening all the fasteners with hand tools to make sure that the paint doesn't get scratched.

Both sides moved along without much effort -- when the early morning light was finally creeping into the garage, I had just finished both hubs.

I was a bit tired at work this afternoon, but the early morning work in the shop was quite peaceful and inspiring. I think even the dog enjoyed it.
A few more minor items to install on the front, but the next big challenge will be the installation of the rear suspension.

Onward!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:00:18 PM by goodfellow »

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 4-8
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Geeze Ray, It's not even my car and I'm getting excited just looking at it. You must be pretty pleased with yourself.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
Geeze Ray, It's not even my car and I'm getting excited just looking at it. You must be pretty pleased with yourself.

I'm just glad to be at this stage of the build Bruce. There's lots more to do and I have no delusions. E-Types are a pain the a$$ to assemble and setup properly. Especially the Series II with AC, PB, and PS -- it'll be a fight all the way, but at this stage it's nice to just play with new and rebuilt parts.

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 04:34:21 AM »
 sharepopcorn
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline eyeboltman

• Ralphs Tool Sanctuary
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 10:52:57 AM »
Looks a little RED !!!        hidex                                             Great work , goodfellow .    thumbsup2
Looking for John Deere tools , all so one Caterpillar (CAT) wrench for my  son .Thanks

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
Looking good. I would be burning a lot of vacay days about now. thumbsup2
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
Checking in to see how it is going, and it is going. Nice job on the safety wire  thumbsup2
Self-esteem: Does not make up for a lack of common sense. There is such a thing as a stupid question.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 10:25:46 PM »
Checking in to see how it is going, and it is going. Nice job on the safety wire  thumbsup2

OK, I have looked through those pictures about 4-5 times now. Where is the safety wire you spoke of? I could not find it for the life of me.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »

OK, I have looked through those pictures about 4-5 times now. Where is the safety wire you spoke of? I could not find it for the life of me.

Caliper retaining bolts -- right by the brake line.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »