Author Topic: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 5-10  (Read 40215 times)

Offline john k

• Super Hero
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 4-8
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »
That rear suspension assembly is a big awkward thing to bolt in, glad to see things fitting back together.   Seeing it back on the wire wheels is going to be nice.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »
Checking in to see how it is going, and it is going. Nice job on the safety wire  thumbsup2

OK, I have looked through those pictures about 4-5 times now. Where is the safety wire you spoke of? I could not find it for the life of me.

Caliper retaining bolts -- right by the brake line.

WOW, sure enough, there it was alright. Maybe I was simply looking too hard or something because it isn't like it was not easy to see. Ya great looking work for sure Ray.   thumbsup2
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:39:40 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
Might as well continue a bit with this assembly. I was able to get a few more things accomplished. First, I took the sway bar mounting blocks and fixed them temporarily in place to help align the frame in preparation for the steering rack. E-Types use a convoluted mounting system that gets quite messy if the frames aren't aligned square.

Then I also attached the horn mounts to the frame and a brake line junction fitting that bolts through the mount. This is necessary because like the sway bar mounts, these bolts are part of the front sub-frame assembly, and once they're square, I don't want to remove them.

Next I installed the steering rack mounts -- these things are a huge cluster%$#& due to the number of bolts and shims and spacers involved. I taped up parts of the frame to keep damage to the paint at a minimum.

With the rack installed I compressed the front suspension to install the shocks. I strapped the front subframe to my lift and jacked up he steering knuckle to get enough height for the shocks to fit.

Now I removed the sway bar blocks and prepped the sway bar for installation, and I added on the horns

After that I cleaned all the bulkhead threads and started bolting up fresh parts -- that aspect of the build really feels GREAT!!

Vacuum tank:

Brake booster:

Radiator overflow reservoir:

Amazingly it's starting to look like an E-Type again -- LOL

I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so I'll have to hit this build again next week.  I really want to get the IRS installed so that this thing can FINALLY stand on its own four "feet" again.

Onward!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:59:33 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 4-10
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 07:22:03 PM »
GF,,,,,,,,,,,,,as difficult and convoluted as this assembly is,,,,,,,,,,,,I am thinking an E type is kinda like a hot young blond and an old rich dude.  Real nice to look at, a whole lotta fun to play with but a whole lotta work to keep her going

:)) :))
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »
Looks like you need three arms to put the steering rack on.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:51 PM »
GF,,,,,,,,,,,,,as difficult and convoluted as this assembly is,,,,,,,,,,,,I am thinking an E type is kinda like a hot young blond and an old rich dude.  Real nice to look at, a whole lotta fun to play with but a whole lotta work to keep her going

Absolutely -- you have succinctly identified the trials and joys of owning an e-Type Phil

Looks like you need three arms to put the steering rack on.

.. and try not to scratch the paint in the process. -- it's a giant PITA

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 12:13:26 AM »
I'm sorry Ray. You're gonna have to cancel going out of town tomorrow. You can't leave us hangin' like that. It's starting to look like a car and you're gonna go? Nope. No can do.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 12:19:02 AM »
sharepopcorn
"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Der Bugmeister's Aircooled Place
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 02:39:31 AM »
Absolutely fantastic watching the progress, Ray!  Thanks again for taking the time to share it all with us.

Offline 246gts

• Decadence Wedding Carriages
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 04:04:43 AM »
what are you going to do with all the spare room in the garage Ray when all those boxes get emptied and bits get bolted on. Time for another project I think!!
Great work, Dave

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 04:53:43 PM »
Today was a BIG day. The weather was nice and I decided to unpack the Jag IRS and install it on the car. First I had to replace a few sway bar link bushings and I was surprised to learn that my local NAPA carries a huge amount of parts for older Jags. These bushings would sell for $10 ea. through the internet Jag specialty houses, but at NAPA they were $3 ea. and I saved shipping.

Next I unpacked the IRS that I had rebuilt five years ago. It was tightly wrapped in plastic sheeting and shoved into a corner of the garage. After removing the sheeting, it looked as good as the day I stored it.

I also dug out the old IRS body mounts and gave them a good media blasting. They look cruddy, but they were fairly new (less than two years old when I removed them for the tear down) and I decided to just reuse them after a good blasting and some paint.

Ready for several coats of black Valspar enamel.

Then I started a huge process; disassembly of my prep dolly. It's almost like losing an old friend. This dolly has carried this Jag body from the beginning of this project five years ago, and now its job is completed. Time for the scrap pile - LOL

I suspended the body on jack stands and started to dismantle it in pieces.

Then I mounted my old grungy wheels and put the front of the car on the ground for the first time in many years while using jacks to pull the rear end of the body off the lift just enough to allow for the IRS to be slipped under the rear of the body.

When you're working with new and clean parts, the installation of a Jaguar IRS is a breeze. I installed the four freshly painted mounts on the body and used the lift to drop the body on the IRS. The entire process too less than 15 minutes.

I was a bit in a hurry to get to an appointment, but the IRS is IN THE CAR!!! Tomorrow I'll button up all the smaller fasteners and attach the radius arms. This is a big step. Now the car can sit on its own "legs" again and is officially a "roller".

Onward!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:26:39 PM by goodfellow »

Offline pepi

• Super Hero
Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 4-16
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
A roller is a huge milestone at this point. I know you are walking at least a foot off the ground.. thumbsup2
Self-esteem: Does not make up for a lack of common sense. There is such a thing as a stupid question.

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 05:41:28 PM »
Hot dog she will be back on her feet soon
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 07:11:17 PM »
I am just happy that I won't have to sit in the bare body and make engine sounds at the next Fall G2G

That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »
A huge milestone!  thumbsup2
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »