Author Topic: Wayne-Dalton torque springs --  (Read 2920 times)

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
Wayne-Dalton torque springs --
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »
It's not an uncommon occurrence, so I wasn't surprised that when I pulled into the garage this morning I heard a familiar "bang" when the door came down, and as expected the opener would not lift the door back up.

To diagnose the problem, I unwould the spring tension (which is very easy with Wayne-Dalton Torquemaster) with a 7/16" socket in a drill motor and proceeded to take the torque tube down. Took about 30 minutes --

These things are fairly logical and easy to disassemble, so I quickly found out that the left spring was broken. Not bad for about 10 years of service because we cycle that door a lot.

My problems began when I tried to get a new set of springs locally. Every shop I called would NOT sell me a set of springs. I had the part numbers, but these stores refused to sell to a "layman". Some even told me that they are not allowed to sell these "dangerous" items to the public because "it's the law"  :-\

Another guy insisted that only licensed installers are allowed to remove and install these springs. I must have called five local sellers and they each insisted that they were only going to sell these springs if they contracted to install them. Just on a whim is asked how much it would cost to do two springs (might as well replace the other spring while we're at it). The quotes I received were outrageous -- ranging from $450-$800 -- FOR A TORQUE SPRING INSTALL!!!

This is definitely a racket. Wayne Dalton Torquemaster springs are designed to be installed by the homeowner without the dangers of traditional external torque springs. When I mentioned that fact to these "businessmen", they blatantly lied to my face about the complexity of the installation.

Long story short; I found a great dealer in Chicago who shipped two springs for $89 -- they go out  today and will be here on Friday.

Beware of these local ripoff artists who seem to have cornered the market on garage torque spring sales and service. Thank the Lord for the Web --

Rant over -- sorry I just had to vent!!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:41:14 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
Re: Wayne-Dalton torque springs --
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:48:27 AM »
Long story short; I found a great dealer in Chicago who shipped two springs for $89 -- they go out  today and will be here on Friday.

Beware of these local ripoff artists who seem to have cornered the market on garage torque spring sales and service. Thank the Lord for the Web --

West Chicago by chance? He just did a spring on my garage. When I started reading the post I was going to post his information (assuming it's the same guy, DDM).
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Online skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:48:42 AM »
for some reason those springs make me a little nervous. i know if you are careful and put everthing back to gether correctly it is pretty easy and those are the safest type. that said, there is a lot of energy stored in door springs and they demand respect even if they are a mundane piece we rarely mess with. yes, those dealers are ripping people off, but i am sure they have also seen plenty of wrenches, parts and or adjusting bars thrown through doors, walls, windshields and the like. you are the exception to the rule but most people should not be trusted with a spring any stronger than a slinky. lolx
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:51:35 AM »

West Chicago by chance? He just did a spring on my garage. When I started reading the post I was going to post his information (assuming it's the same guy, DDM).

Yup that's the one!! Dan is a great guy and was easy to work with. The guy knows garage door technology and has very good prices.

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/springs/wayne-dalton-torquemaster-torsion-springs.php

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »

Yup that's the one!! Dan is a great guy and was easy to work with. The guy knows garage door technology and has very good prices.

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/springs/wayne-dalton-torquemaster-torsion-springs.php

Yeah, he's a great guy, he just did a spring for me a few weeks ago and he did one a few years ago on the coldest day of the year, he fit me in at the end of the day. He installs them cheaper than you can buy the springs for and he's like Speedy Gonzales, with him in the area I'll never do a spring myself again. He's also a great resource for EVERY garage door part one could need at great prices (I have no affiliation).
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
Those local guys were making a killing I don't mind someone making a living but this absurd. I'll have to keep this guy in mind as they are what I have in my shop.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline Keeper

• My Random Photos
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:49:18 PM »
I ran into the same problem when I tried to order Hi-lift parts.  None of the local places would sell them to me. 

They used the same "It's to dangerous" excuse.  So I still do not have a hi-lift install and I refuse to pay the $800 I was quoted to do it.

Glad you found a place to sell them to you.
Tbucket build pics: 
Build

Tbucket build pics continued: 
Build

Garage Pics are here: 
Garage

Offline Packard V8

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
I have a right end cap off a Wayne Dalton Torquemaster garage door opener.  Looks OK to me - paying it forward, free if you pay postage.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »

Tags: