Author Topic: What's the best way to heat a garage?  (Read 10627 times)

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
What's the best way to heat a garage?
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »
Obviously you're gonna want to have the walls insulated and dry walled, but how would you heat a garage? I seriously have no clue. Out here in California, we all use natural gas to heat our water and furness heater; so I'd assume you'd want to use some kind of contraption that runs off natural gas perhaps. scratchhead

Offline flashpuppy

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • The Dirty Hillbilly
Re: What's the best way to heat a garage?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:01 PM »
Radiant floor heating is the most efficient, and my favorite way.  Unfortunately, that must be planned before construction.

I am also partial to woodstoves.
"Just them good ole boys, never meaning no harm."

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »
I am also partial to woodstoves.

Would you believe the EPA tells us when and when not to run our fireplaces? As if anybody listens to them. grinx

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Can use hammer
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »
I use a kerosene torpedo heater myself, but if I had my way I would have a ceiling hung natural gas furnace. I just do not have the dough to make that happen though. The trick with torpedo heaters is to only use K1 in them and nothing else. They are not too bad if you do that.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:08:15 AM »
I use a kerosene torpedo heater myself, but if I had my way I would have a ceiling hung natural gas furnace. I just do not have the dough to make that happen though. The trick with torpedo heaters is to only use K1 in them and nothing else. They are not too bad if you do that.

A portable heater would be nice -- I'll have to look into that torpedo heater. Does that heater burn cleanly, leaving no fumes?

Offline flashpuppy

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • The Dirty Hillbilly
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:48:16 AM »
In my experience, those torpedo heaters produce LOTS of fumes.
"Just them good ole boys, never meaning no harm."

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 04:53:57 AM »

A portable heater would be nice -- I'll have to look into that torpedo heater. Does that heater burn cleanly, leaving no fumes?

Those kerosene heaters stink (smell wise, they heat well), don't know if the fumes are harmful, I would think they're not good. I bought a propane torpedo with a fan and that thing stunk as well, used a ton of fuel and put off fumes that were dangerous (I returned it). I bought an infrared heater that mounts to a propane tank, doesn't heat as quick but no harmful or stinky fumes and no electricity needed. I also had one of those wall hanged infrared natural gas heaters at my old place and that was pretty good. Now I have a Hot Dawg, it's natural gas vented to the outside and will heat up a 3 car garage to 70 degrees in 10 ~ 15 minutes when it's 10 degrees out and uses a bit of gas.

I would agree with flashpuppy, radiant in floor heating is awesome, especially if you like walking around the garage barefoot.
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 04:56:50 AM »
In my experience, those torpedo heaters produce LOTS of fumes.

They sure do, in the instruction for mine it said it was for outdoor use only ( I wonder how long it would take to heat up the entire outdoors?) and not to be used in an enclosed area.
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Online krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Super Hero
  • beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 07:17:12 AM »
the problem with torpedo's isn't as much the fumes as it is that they "use" up oxygen. a wood stove produces better results in my book and much cheaper than gas or electric heat.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Can use hammer
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
No denying the fact that torpedo heaters are STINKY mothers! My shop generally smells like burnt K1 until early spring! However, while I have a wood stove (i love wood stoves) I do not have the room in my little cramped space to work a wood stove in, and even if I did I doubt I would. I would not want to fight the insurance company for coverage even if I could use a wood stove.

In fact, I have never heard anyone say that using a torpedo in a sealed environment is anything but unsafe. All I can figure out is the garages I have used my heater in must have been semi drafty because I have never had an issue with a sense of drowsiness or something of that nature. If breathing became an issue I think I would sense something like that in a hurry, I am asthmatic. The one thing I do prefer about the torpedo over a wood stove in particular is if I want to use an explosive or combustible chemical I can shut the torpedo down and use the substance, following it's use I either promptly leave, or open the shop and totally clear it of fumes before plugging the torpedo back in. Clearly, I could not do that with a wood stove.

If I had my way, I would have a natural gas unit hanging from the ceiling, I would love to retire my torpedo, though I am thankfull for the heat it provides on those real bone chilling days when work in the shop is a must.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline stevejh82

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »
My personal preference for heat in a garage is wood.  If that is not an option, my next would be propane.  Electric would be after that.  When I was growing up, I used a torpedo heater to heat the garage in the winter.  I have seen guys light their pants on fire standing in front of it!
In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” –Eric Hoffer

Offline Itzkwik

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
I've thought about a wood stove. I've got 10 acres so the wood would be free. But I'm a little paranoid about leaving the shop at night with the fire still burning. For those of you that have a wood stove, is it anything to worry about? panicx
Bret

Online krusty the clown

• hell mann
  • Super Hero
  • beer drinker and hell raiser
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
I've thought about a wood stove. I've got 10 acres so the wood would be free. But I'm a little paranoid about leaving the shop at night with the fire still burning. For those of you that have a wood stove, is it anything to worry about? panicx

you will get comfortable with it after a while. it really isn't a problem. i heated the old house with wood, i'd leave the house every day and sleep at night with a fire going in the stove. in fact i wouldn't let the fire die untill spring!

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
I did it every day for years. In fact the house I'm in now has been heated with wood for over 40 years.

I've used it in many shops with no problems at all.

One thing though be sure and keep the chimney and pipes free of creosote.
Tool do job = Good tool
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux.

Offline Itzkwik

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
So are wood stoves like tools? Should I start looking for an old made in USA stove or are the imports safe? What are some good brands to look for? shrugx
Bret

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »

Tags: